Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what build I can do on my 04, I wan't to be under a $1000, I know the tranny is good. So not money to waste there.

I was thinking of the cylinderworks 97mm and the hot rod +3 stroker. 501cc at 11.25/11.5 :1 compression but I am not looking to build a time bomb. Those parts plus new bearings and seals would put me in around a grand. Im thinking it's the most cost effective way to go. Cheaper still with a stock crank, and smaller displacement.

I have a 101mm nmotion but it needs a new piston cylinder repair and plating. That would be a good 500+ with longer down time and shipping both ways. So not liking that idea.

My other cpi / falicon jug is bored to 100mm anyone know where to get a 04/05 100mm piston, or have an unused one laying around. Dasa no longer carries one, I thought nmotion did as well but I must have been smoking crack because it was for a Yamaha. 100mm and a crank is my prefered option, I just can't find a slug? I have a 14.25:1 venom (+06) I was going to use, incase you were wondering what I am doing with a 100mm jug and no piston.

I'm trying to stay away from boring and plating, also rebuilding the crank not up for the headache again.

As always thanks for your help.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Depends on what rod you have. If you have the 21mm wrist pin rod (04/05 style) or the 19mm rod end (CRF and 06 TRX style).

If you want to run the currently available 100mm piston i believe you need to use the CRF/06 trx 19mm wrist pin rod setup.

I dont think anyone sells an 04/05 100mm. John or Kam has 100mm's for the 04/05 but they have the offset wrist pin bore for the long rod +3 stroker setup.

Zips knows this in and out. Mayby he will come in and share his wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ive heard good and bad about the cylinderworks cylinder. Hard to be sure yet, but with that low compression I think you should be okay.
There arent any 100mm 04 piston around. Since you really dont want to mess with the crank you dont have many options, but there are some 04 12.5 99mm pistons around. JE and I think Wiseco make one, you could have your 100mm cylinder replated. They can plate it alittle thicker and hone it out for a 99mm bore.

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
nw sleeve makes a sleeve specifically for the nmotion cyl.
check what sizes they can give you....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
As for your original question...it's going to be a couple more weeks before I get a chance to do it,but I am going the HR +3/CW 97mm route.I have been running the +3 since last year and i am super impressed with it's performance and durability so far.After lots of research and speculation...I believe combining the 97mm CW cylinder with the HR+3 is not only doable...but should be a durable and potent combo.

I would already be running it if Wiseco offered a 97mm 13:1 piston :11doh: I have Chris (product developer at Wiseco) lookng into making them available.He said that they have not had any requests for them....and if there were a demand for them...it would be much easier to convince management to authorize production.

So come on guys....GIVE THEM A CALL ....at 1-800-321-1364

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My other cpi / falicon jug is bored to 100mm anyone know where to get a 04/05 100mm piston,
As always thanks for your help.[/b]
CALL THIS GUY HE CAN'T GET YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT

TERRY STEWART

714-398-7952 OR 714-687-5943

Attachments

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
As for your original question...it's going to be a couple more weeks before I get a chance to do it,but I am going the HR +3/CW 97mm route.I have been running the +3 since last year and i am super impressed with it's performance and durability so far.After lots of research and speculation...I believe combining the 97mm CW cylinder with the HR+3 is not only doable...but should be a durable and potent combo.

I would already be running it if Wiseco offered a 97mm 13:1 piston :11doh: I have Chris (product developer at Wiseco) lookng into making them available.He said that they have not had any requests for them....and if there were a demand for them...it would be much easier to convince management to authorize production.

So come on guys....GIVE THEM A CALL ....at 1-800-321-1364[/b]
how about a wiseco 12.5-1?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

how about a wiseco 12.5-1?
[/b]

Yeah....a 12.5:1 would be fine :thumbup: ....do you know where I can get one?Is it the one that comes in the 480 Athena?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I thought ESR was using 12.5:1 97mm Wiseco pistons in their 480 kits..........

you may wanna call Eddie and see if he can part out a piston for ya......

just a thought....

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I thought ESR was using 12.5:1 97mm Wiseco pistons in their 480 kits..........

you may wanna call Eddie and see if he can part out a piston for ya......

just a thought....[/b]

Awesome :thumbup: ....I will give them a call.

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also got that setup with a 14.25:1 venom seems good so far

·
Registered
898 Posts
my 501 combination should be finished anyday now..... just waiting on the cranks return..

I can't wait!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Well...it's done....I just ordered a couple 97mm 12.5:1 Wiseco pistons from ESR.I was speaking with Tom and he was very helpful and a great guy to deal with.
I had to order them through a third party to avoid the dreaded brokerage/duty fees which will add a couple days to the shipping time...but at least the wheels are in motion :thumbup:

Thanks again 450RRR :unworthy: ....and sorry to hulkamaniac for jacking your thread. :sweatingbullets:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

Well...it's done....I just ordered a couple 97mm 12.5:1 Wiseco pistons from ESR.I was speaking with Tom and he was very helpful and a great guy to deal with.
I had to order them through a third party to avoid the dreaded brokerage/duty fees which will add a couple days to the shipping time...but at least the wheels are in motion :thumbup:

Thanks again 450RRR :unworthy: ....and sorry to hulkamaniac for jacking your thread. :sweatingbullets:[/b]

Wat kind of fuel do you plan on running with that setuo, i was gonna tell u the same i ordered one of there 480 pistons a few years ago!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts

Thanks again 450RRR :unworthy: ....and sorry to hulkamaniac for jacking your thread. :sweatingbullets:[/b]

Wat kind of fuel do you plan on running with that setuo, i was gonna tell u the same i ordered one of there 480 pistons a few years ago!
[/b]

Under most circumstances I will be running 91 pump gas with a little additive/booster for good measures....except when drag racing at the track...then I use c12.
I will actually be going down .5 in compression from my current setup (Wiseco 13:1 stock bore/HR +3)
but the added 30ccs should more than compensate for that.While it's apart I might as well "freshen" the head up a little. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
glad you got your pistons. the esr piston is the one i was talking about. i have one in my 480 and another one sitting on the shelf that i was thinking about selling to try the cp 13-1.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
glad you got your pistons. the esr piston is the one i was talking about. i have one in my 480 and another one sitting on the shelf that i was thinking about selling to try the cp 13-1.[/b]

Thanks hawk :thumbup: ....I was pretty dead set on a 13:1 myself and ESR now offers their new F1 JE 13:1 2 ringer race piston in 97mm....I was very tempted,but I prefer tu run a 3 ringer due to the fact that my R spend waaay more time ripping through the trails than drag racing.A half point lower/higher in compression shouldn't affect power output by very much at all.

I guess i'll find out soon enough :sweatingbullets:

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
have you seen their F1 piston?
i think it is the one with the one piece oil ring, thats why i didnt go with it. (fear of the unknown)
like you i wanted 13-1 compression (for fuel reasons for me) so the 12.5-1 with the stroker should be just what the doctor ordered, but then i saw that cp has a shelf 13-1 in 97mm so i thought i might try it.
the wiseco is pretty heavy ill have to get my notes and see what it weighs.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts