Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a 04 R in parts a little bit ago and am a little new to the 450R scene. I would have it done by now but have had a string of bad luck with ebay parts lately... Anyway, I was looking at the head this evening after gaping the rings on my new piston this evening and noticed that it has a WEB MYSTO cam in it w/ the Ti retainer kit. I just bought a new OEM cylinder and CP 13:1 94mm piston for it. So I am going stock bore with a big bire cam...how do you guys think it will work?

FYI: It will be using a 39mm YFZ FCR, HMF full system and an ESR Intake...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

On a separate note, I am an avid dirt bike rider and I guess you could say I'm in the loop with bikes but am a bit new with quads, besides some experience with the older 250rs. And I have to say that it is so much different in the ATV world where everyone is so much more into their motor and how they can squeeze every last ounce of power out of it, where as in dirt bikes every one is pretty content with their power besides a cam and a pipe that technique and suspension is focused on more...Don't tell my moto friends but its pretty cool how much more their is in the quad world, and I'm really starting to enjoy them, tho i still enjoy riding my bike more...lol

Thanks for being such a cool community guys...its a little weird only having a few posts here where as i have over 1,500 at thumpertalk.com...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well I bought a 04 R in parts a little bit ago and am a little new to the 450R scene. I would have it done by now but have had a string of bad luck with ebay parts lately... Anyway, I was looking at the head this evening after gaping the rings on my new piston this evening and noticed that it has a WEB MYSTO cam in it w/ the Ti retainer kit. I just bought a new OEM cylinder and CP 13:1 94mm piston for it. So I am going stock bore with a big bire cam...how do you guys think it will work?

FYI: It will be using a 39mm YFZ FCR, HMF full system and an ESR Intake...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

On a separate note, I am an avid dirt bike rider and I guess you could say I'm in the loop with bikes but am a bit new with quads, besides some experience with the older 250rs. And I have to say that it is so much different in the ATV world where everyone is so much more into their motor and how they can squeeze every last ounce of power out of it, where as in dirt bikes every one is pretty content with their power besides a cam and a pipe that technique and suspension is focused on more...Don't tell my moto friends but its pretty cool how much more their is in the quad world, and I'm really starting to enjoy them, tho i still enjoy riding my bike more...lol

Thanks for being such a cool community guys...its a little weird only having a few posts here where as i have over 1,500 at thumpertalk.com...[/b]

Welcome. If you are sure it is a Mysto cam, I would check to see if you have a stroker crank too. The Mysto is a fairly radical top end cam made for drag racing. I think it will work OK with a high comp piston and a stock bore, but it will work better with a BB high comp piston.
It also depends on what type of riding you do. If you want to trail ride, then try a HC11 cam or an early HRC cam. Much more rideable for sure.
Good luck

Bulldog

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. If you are sure it is a Mysto cam, I would check to see if you have a stroker crank too. The Mysto is a fairly radical top end cam made for drag racing. I think it will work OK with a high comp piston and a stock bore, but it will work better with a BB high comp piston.
It also depends on what type of riding you do. If you want to trail ride, then try a HC11 cam or an early HRC cam. Much more rideable for sure.
Good luck

Bulldog[/b]
Yes, It has "MYSTO" engraved into the cam. We do strictly dune riding and a bit of dune hillshooting so all top end is just fine. Is there a measurement I could take to see if it is a stroker crank? I dont believe it is, but couldnt say for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Any other opnions? Just curious...[/b]
Make SURE you're running good valve springs. Stock springs will not handle that cam. You might also need to check valve clearances often with the mysto.

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
if the head is off then it will be real easy to determine stroke. stock stroke is 64.8mm or 2.55". if you have a dial caliper just stick the depth probe down the hole till it hits the piston above the outer edge.

·
Registered
131 Posts
if the head is off then it will be real easy to determine stroke. stock stroke is 64.8mm or 2.55". if you have a dial caliper just stick the depth probe down the hole till it hits the piston above the outer edge.[/b]
The mysto cam is hard on your top end. Even running heavy duty springs don't last very long. We found out that after about 40 hrs the heavy spring are about 10lbs less on the spring tester. I shim the springs at around 20 to 30 hrs then replace them at 30 to 40 hrs. Since we started doing that, I quite floating valves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts