Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to convert my front stockers over for some woods riding , im getting older and the bike is beating me to death. I have checked out alot of older topics and most are several years old old now. Anyone have recent revalves they recommend? I cant hardly find any recent info on Jet and i know time changes all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like Race Tech, DeRisi Racing, and Hygear suspension are all still in the game. I’d recommend a nice race tech re-valve and respring myself

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
jet suspension and maul tech are still at it I recall too.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,251 Posts
I haven’t used Jet since the new owner, but my last couple experiences with them were less than stellar. I tried Monster Performance and was greatly disappointed. Next time I’ll probably try one of the shops cumminstrx mentioned. but I’d love to find and support a small shop that does good work, maybe I should give Jet another chance.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
I had good luck with hygear ordering springs a few times and talked to them on the phone and they were helpful. Ive reached the point where I found the internal valving is the issue on my elkas. Fronts are to stiff and compression all the way soft and rear is to soft with compression all the way up. If hell hadnt gone into a hand basket I was gonna ship it al to hygear and run some stock stuff for awhile.

·
4,251 Posts
I had good luck with hygear ordering springs a few times and talked to them on the phone and they were helpful. Ive reached the point where I found the internal valving is the issue on my elkas. Fronts are to stiff and compression all the way soft and rear is to soft with compression all the way up. If hell hadnt gone into a hand basket I was gonna ship it al to hygear and run some stock stuff for awhile.
i vaguely remember somebody warning you about those Elka’s. . . . . . :whistle: (That’s supposed to be a whistling emoji lol)

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
i vaguely remember somebody warning you about those Elka’s. . . . . . :whistle: (That’s supposed to be a whistling emoji lol)
Funny thing is my buddy has them and his are good no issues. hey, it was way more money to buy the better stuff hoser

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Rocket Ron does several revalves as well in xc and BNR Motorsports bought the revalves side of GT Thunder if you want to try them out.

Those Elkas can be made a totally different shock by someone that knows how to change the valving and internal components. I will agree if they are straight from Elka probably even the extended and compressed lengths might not be correct, I've been through that before.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
Exactly @duke416ex Im sure once I send them Ill probably be happy. Id send them now but with all the craziness due to the current situation and a trip to hatfield possibly looming (we paid 6 months ago for the rental house before everything went FUBAR). Im waiting for now. Do have a GT thunder rear setup I never used and my stock fronts I could run.

Real question is who.. I think hygear will get my vote just cause they are closer.

·
4,251 Posts
I’d love to hear some positive feedback from somebody that found a good shop to rebuild Elka’s. I’ve had mine done a few times and they are still pure trash.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I had mine redone a couple times. The last time was by Nick at Jet when we went to a riding school there and I think they were greatly improved but he made changes as he watched me ride. The things I learned about Elkas, you need to be sure the extended and compressed lengths are right, at least what the arm manufacturers say and really you should measure yourself. In xc at least the triple rate wasn't the best, went to dual rate and really helped the body roll but had to cut the spacers some to make it work right. Rebound was my huge problem mostly on the rear. I kept fighting compression but the rebound helped more when I figured out what it was doing. Years ago I researched a lot on suspension and almost could adjust them out but I need to reread most of it, sucks that there is a lot of suspension info for db but not much on atv side. About like most stuff they want to keep it all secret, which I understand they spent a lot of time test and tuning to see what works best. I will not disagree at all that there are some better shocks than the elite Elkas I have, but I didn't want to spend that much more for new shocks. If I was buying now I would look for Axis, maybe Ohlins and a lot still talk about Motowoz. Idk, all what you want I guess, I ran good on revalves but they always faded in a 2 hour race for me and I could not afford servicing every race or 2 in order to keep them fresh.

Was reading back through and is Maul tech still going? Seemed like I read something happened there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts