Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to mod the airbox? I seen where some guy has some rubber grouments for sale for $20 bucks,which i think is a little bit high on the price.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pic! I thought about cutting it out like that but i was just worried about the ocassional water splashing. I'm don't usaually ride in water only when need be. Do you have any problems with that?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Thats the same thing i did to mine...... it works great ...... my filter gets dirty but ohhh well.... it gives me power.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, like anything above about 1/4-1/2 throttle and it'll lean out so bad it's gonna fall flat on its face. I rejetted when I took off my lid and it was good. Added the Yoshi exhaust and it was absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and cut mine out like that tonight at work. Now if my pipe,filter and jet kit come in thurs. or fri. i'll be set :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
i cut my lid the same way when i put on the pipe. i run the duel stage airfilter so no dust to worry about.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
what is the dual stage air filter

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by trx450Rrider@Jul 8 2004, 05:56 PM
what is the dual stage air filter
that's a foam filter just like the stock one. light foam (large open holes) on the outside with dense foam (small, fine holes) on the inside. the stock filter does not sepperate... it is glued together at the seems. some foam filters come apart. although, i don't see why it is necessary. other dual stage foam filters... UNI, Curtis Sparks, White Bros, etc. none of those come apart either. the pro design pro flow system does.

could also be referring to a k&n filter with a pre-filter (outerwear) around it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would like to show you my air box mod for XC racing, but then I would have to kill ya.

Just kidding. I will get so pics of my mod that won't let water it but brings more air. It involves lawn mower parts TOP SECRET.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was worried about water and mud also.
What I did was pick up a a piece of abs pipe that is 4 inches in diameter. I then cut a 4 inch hole in the lid and fastened the pipe on top, like an air horn. I cut it so there is about a 1/2 inch clearance below the seat. It lets in alot more air and still keeps the majority of water and much of the mud out of the airbox. I think I may cover the top of it with a piece of outerwears and nothing will get in for sure. I think my total cost was $2.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought an Outerwear for my K&N and will cut the part out like Schmitthead did, and I bought an Outerwear lid cover for a 250r and will make it fit to cover the opening. They are water resistant and help filter dust down to .005, every little bit helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts