Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this so bare with me.
I am looking to get a new air filter but do not know which one to get. I will be also purchasing a HMF Bill Balance full system exaust. This is the only upgrades I will probably make other than tires and rims. I ride mostly in western NY and Pa. on dry and muddy trails. I could use some help. Thanks 9Ball450r.

·
Registered
321 Posts
that setup would be great for a nice little ride threw the woods. you might consitter a uni or k&n air filter to go with that because it will make the pipe be able to give better gains. but overall it's a good setup. what tires and rims are you getting? are you wanting beadlocks, non beads, carbon? what are you looking for?

PICKS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am either going to get Holeshot HD's or Maxxis Razr's 2. I will put them on ITP or Douglas .190 rims. I don't do any racing but I trail ride real hard.

9Ball450r

·
Registered
278 Posts
COOL MAN I AM FROM KY AND I'M IN THE SAME BOAT I JUST ORDERED A HMF BILL BALLANCE ON MONDAY AND I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT KIND OF AIR FILTER TO GO WITH.THERE IS 2 OPTIONS WITH THIS PIPE AIRBOX LID OFF OR ON WITH IT OFF THE BIKE YOU GET THE MAX HORSEPOWER GAINS WICH IS 7 HP BUT THE GUY AT HMF SAID NO WATER OR MUD RIDING WITH IT OFF.IF YOU JET IT WITH THE LID STAYING ON THE HP NUMBERS WOULD BE MAYBE HALF THAT.I WANT TO JET MINE WITH THE LID OFF GET THE MOST PONNIES FOR MY 450R SO IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW I CAN DO THAT WITH THE LID OFF AND STILL BE ABLE TO RIDE IN THE RAIN OR BUST A MUDHOLE WIDE OPEN PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR ADVICE

·
Registered
218 Posts
Go with the Curtis Sparks filter kit. You can get a good deal on one through woodward specialties. He ships fast also! Good choice of tires for trail riding!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recently purchased a Curtis Sparks air filter for about 50 bucks shipped.... best purchase I've made w/out that lid on after I had my K&N the sparks performed very well for buck no disappointments

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I say Sparks filter all the way. I run no lid and I ride through tons of mud and water up to the exhaust, and I have never had a issue of water in my filter...you just have to be smart about it....

·
Registered
218 Posts
As lude said, you just have to be smart about it! It doesn't matter what kind of filter you have, if you are going through water with no lid on you have to be careful. If you are going to be riding in those conditions and really want to run it with no lid then I would strongly suggest getting the EHS lid that has the Outerwears prefilter to help keep out a lot of that water and mud!
9ball450,
The reason we are talking about running your quad with no filter is that if you don't take that lid off or put on an EHS kit and jet the carb you are wasting your money buying the Ballance full system. You won't get the performance gains out of it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
HEY DESERT 450R JUST WONDERING HAVE YOU EVER DRAGED YOUR RANCHER AGAINST YOUR R

·
Registered
733 Posts
how come nobody uses the white bros foam filter? i have one... and it is identical to the sparks filter but red. i got mine for $22 and it comes with an inner support cage that is not restrictive at all. i use the billet ring that came with my k&n pro flow kit but, it isn't necessary if you use the cage that comes with it. i switch between the sparks and WB when one gets dirty. i have not noticed any difference. i will PM anyone who wants to know where i got it. i can also provide a pic if anyone is interested.

peace...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would go with a k&n filter with a pre-charger. the k&n has good flow and the pre-charger will keep the mud and water out. dont forget that youre going to have to jet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey I was just wondering do you have to do any airbox
mods other than taking the lid off and putting the ring on?

9Ball450r

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by 9Ball450r@Aug 23 2004, 06:22 PM
Hey I was just wondering do you have to do any airbox
mods other than taking the lid off and putting the ring on?

9Ball450r
nope. the ring slides into the intake boot and supports it from the inside when you tighten the clamp around the filter. no other mods are necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info I just ordered a Sparks airfilter. I got my tires and rims yesterday, what a differance. Also can any one tell me if a EHS lid is better than going with just a outerware prefilter over my box

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
uni and twin air both make and private label dual density foam air filters for the majority of the industry. most of the market is from one of these two sources. uni gives you a cage made of expanded metal to replace the restrictive stock backfire screen. uni has usually been the best bang for any buck. as for thoughts on k&n see the uni to k&n thread..................mixxer

live long and filter

·
Registered
279 Posts
which filters will work with a hrc lid, i was told that the pro design was oversized so is that the case with others?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info, I bought an EHS lid with a Curtis Sparks filter. I put it on yesterday and what a differance. My BB full system should be here tomorrow, can't wait, I'll keep you posted. B)

·
Registered
278 Posts
if you get your bb tommorow i hope i get mine i've been waiting forever almost a month for my pipe it had better be worth the wait they said they are waiting for powdercoating what a load of crap it takes a month to get an exhaust system i cant tell you how pissed i am at these guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts