Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on modifying my air box lid. I am going to cut out the square piece toward the back of the lid. Then I will be placing some of that outerware matrial from the inside of the whole. I will use silicone at first and see how that works, then possibly riveting little metal strips around the inside where the silicone is. I will post pics as soon as i do it. I ordered a 175 and 180 main jet to give me some play with it at first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the HRC kit and it actually uses the same air box lid. The one in the kit is just cut out and they give you a spash sheild that goes over the filter. It also comes with a 185 main jet. It does seem to still run a little lean though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
this is a cool site. ive had my 450r for three weeks now. raced a hare scramble in arkansas yesterday. did piss poor due to stalling bike out to much. sould have been on the trusty 400ex. dont get me wrong, love the 450 i just have to learn the engine and how to make it work in my favor. have found that removing spark-arrester and installing stock back onto bike will help bottom end. carb mixture seems good, so may not have to rejet.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have you done the airbox lid mod yet. If so what main jet did you end up with. I ordered a airfilter kit and jet kit from sparks today. I'm not sure where to start with the main jet? I'm not adding a pipe just yet. Does removing th spark arrestor and putting back the cap work real well, if so, can you put the spark arrestor back in, if need be?
Joe

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes you can remove the baffle/spark arrestor. i would start at a 180 main. work from there. did the jet kit come with a needle. also you can see the airbox mod in the exhaust installtion topic.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I removed the baffle today after work, and tried it out. It got pretty loud, the big hole kinda scares me, the power difference didn't seem to be overwhelming, so i put the baffle back on. I'd be too afraid to get water or mud inside the exhaust. I'm wondering how much of a differnce an open airbox and a high flow filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Joe, I wouldnt worry about anything falling into your pipe, if your on the throttle at all anything solid will get blown out, and any water will evaporate instantly. I would however wait until you can jet it up to do any engine mods.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I noticed something wierd happend today that i did not like. I bought the HRC end cap this weekend, and decided to install it tonight. Well let me mention, that everything on motor is stock and the only thing that I changed was the HRC end cap. Well the bike was cold, so i put the choke on and kicked it over in the normal manner I would kick it. I kicked it about 4 times, and it did not start. I noticed that it didn't sound right when i was kicking it, then on my 5th kick, i felt a slight kickback...Well, finally on the next kick it started but turned off after a 2 seconds, i kicked it again, and it did the same thing...the third time, i decided to give it some gas when it was running, and the motor turned off. the next kick was another little kickback.....well i wasn't going to screw with it again, so i changed back the HRC endcap, and put the stock one back on. I gave it 1 kick with the stock end cap installed, and it started just perfect, like it had done many times before. Any how my thought is that this slight lean condition, caused the bike to give a slight kick back, so I would suggest to all to make sure you have your jetting correct or it could cause a nasty kickback.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by joe1l@Mar 8 2004, 10:02 PM
I noticed something wierd happend today that i did not like. I bought the HRC end cap this weekend, and decided to install it tonight. Well let me mention, that everything on motor is stock and the only thing that I changed was the HRC end cap. Well the bike was cold, so i put the choke on and kicked it over in the normal manner I would kick it. I kicked it about 4 times, and it did not start. I noticed that it didn't sound right when i was kicking it, then on my 5th kick, i felt a slight kickback...Well, finally on the next kick it started but turned off after a 2 seconds, i kicked it again, and it did the same thing...the third time, i decided to give it some gas when it was running, and the motor turned off. the next kick was another little kickback.....well i wasn't going to screw with it again, so i changed back the HRC endcap, and put the stock one back on. I gave it 1 kick with the stock end cap installed, and it started just perfect, like it had done many times before. Any how my thought is that this slight lean condition, caused the bike to give a slight kick back, so I would suggest to all to make sure you have your jetting correct or it could cause a nasty kickback.
Very imformative!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I recieved my Curtis Sparks filter and jet kit today. which was a new needle and a 185 main jet. I also installed an HRC exhaust end cap along with the filter, and jet kit. I removed the airbox lid. The bike now pulls really hard down low, I can wack the throttle at mid rpm and the front end will lift real high (it can be a bit unnerving on dry pavement). I'm going to have to do some real world testing to see if the 13/39 gearing is what I want, or if I'm going to have to back to the 38 or maybe run the 14/39 combo....decisions decisions. I think its going to be real fun in the woods the way I have it now. I'll keep you
posted!
Joe

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing. But the guy at Curtis Sparks told me that you dont want to use the 185 jet with the stock exhaust...even with the HRC end cap. Is you trx running lean, rich, or what...does it appear to be ok...please let me know..maybe he was just trying to get me to buy the 500 dollar muffler, that I cant afford at the moment.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm running the HRC end cap. The bike did not seem to be running lean or rich, it amazingly seemed to be spot on. I had no blubber anywhere with the jetting. I even told the guy on the phone from sparks i was running a stock pipe. I even tried the bike without the hrc and used the stock s/a and the bike seemed to run just fine. Sparks recommended using 190 with their pipe (which I may get soon). If anything, I should be running rich, but being that it is only 50degrees here, it is probably not affecting it too much.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I live in NJ, I believe we are just a little above sea level. where are you?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Im in the midwest....Kansas City Missouri...we are the 1 to 3000 ft range.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What mods are you running, and what jetting are you at?
Joe

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by joe1l@Mar 10 2004, 09:14 AM
What mods are you running, and what jetting are you at?
Joe
rightnow I am stock...I was planning on doing exactly what you did....keep the stock exhaust with the HRC end cap and a jet kit. I also am going to get a hot cam and run it with this same set up...if anyone is interested Rockymountainatv.com has Hot cams for the 450r for 138 dollars...... :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts