Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock springs are too hard and they bounce me around too much. I turned the little thing on the piggybacks 1 turn to soft and the other things on the bottom of the shocks all the way to soft then 1 turn back to hard. What else can I do to make them soft and lower the bike? How does the shock work? If i tighten it or loosen it.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
loosen the preload screws up on the top of the spirngs all the way and adjust the comp adjusters all the way to soft

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
loosen the preload screws up on the top of the spirngs all the way and adjust the comp adjusters all the way to soft[/b]
So loosen the springs so that the rings are at the highest thread possible and turn all the little screws to soft

·
Registered
919 Posts
pretty much...thats it. the top screw is compression. it controls the shocks resistance to compressing(imagine that). the bottom screw is rebound. it controls how the shock extends back to length after being compressed. it should really be labeled as fast or slow. it is labeled that way on most mx bikes.
i believe full hard will make it extend slower, and full soft will make it extend faster.

you may need different springs. im a fat bastard, so adjusting the spring preload made a noticeable difference. if you are a skinny dude, the stock springs may be to stiff to get the kind of ride you are looking for.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
stock settup is on the stiffside, they're made to accomodate not only the average rider but a rider with weight. if it feels really stiff, you must not weight that much.

i played with my stock shocks forever, i finally dug deep in the pocket and bought a suspension settup for my bike, verry happy with it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stock settup is on the stiffside, they're made to accomodate not only the average rider but a rider with weight. if it feels really stiff, you must not weight that much.

i played with my stock shocks forever, i finally dug deep in the pocket and bought a suspension settup for my bike, verry happy with it.[/b]
Heh id love elkas but i cant afford them for a few years..By christmas time i think imma get revalves done from GT Thunder but for now i have to settle for stock shocks..should I just go ahead and ajust everything all the way to soft? How do the springs work im still confused..do I loosen those rings all the way to the top or tighten the rings and make the springs compressed? And for the record i weigh like 170 i guess

·
Registered
106 Posts
use a punch and a hammer to loosent the two locking nuts on the top of the shocks, make sure you have the bike on a stand so it takes the weight off the springs, i had the same problem with the set up on mine, im aso trying to get a new from set up, hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts