Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a web cam(with an adjustable cam gear) and i want to check the valves. i know i can check them with no problem, but if i need to do any reseting with the shims how can i reset the cam gear. i honsetly have no clue what tool to even use? can some one please tell me what i'm about to get my self into.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
checking the valves for 'clearance' and using shims to set them.... has nothing to do with your adjustable cam sprocket....... the cam specs should have been set with Zero lash....meaning w/o any clearance whatsoever.....so just leave the cam gear alone....and shim away....

jmho....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in the clear as long as i don't have to take the cam gear off. if i take the cam gear off i will have to reset it. i don't know how reset it. i have all the setting that i need. i just don't have to tools or the know how. can u swap shims with out taking off the cam gear?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
yes and no...... my adj cam gear is 'notched' where the timing is....so I know how to replace it once it has been removed.....

I suggest you do the same......take a scribe, or dremel, or my favorite...an engraving tool...and scribe where the cam gear was attached...... you can usually see where the allen head bolts tightened down on the gear...but if not.... simply scribe a mark that you can line up to return the cam gear where it belongs........ after all...the cam carrier has to be removed in order to adjust the shims.....its a fact of life.....sorry.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that same idea has came to mind. but i didn't know if a simple mark was goin to be accurate enough or if u needed some kind of tool to precisely line it up. im really picky on having everything tuned in right. thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts