Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering getting a rekluse clutch for my 450r. Ive done some searching and found very few negative opinions/reviews. I primarily trail ride and it sounds like it would be of benefit for that. I have the same issue as some other people have complained about in regards to the gearing being high and having to feather the clutch quite a bit when riding on slow technical trails. Ive switched to a 12 tooth front sprocket and it has helped lower the gearing but its still a little high for my use. Some of the things Im questioning are:

- Do you lose all engine braking when going done hills so it becomes like a cvt transmission and just freewheels?
- I removed my parking break. Ive had autoclutch quads in the past and dont remember them freewheeling when in gear with the engine off. Is that what happens with this type of clutch?
- Can you still use the manual clutch when taking off if you want?
- And finally how hard is it to install? I have some mechanical skills but havent changed a clutch before.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I am used to the z start pro model but:

-No you do not loose all engine braking unless you clutch the bike and release it then you will be freewheeling until you blip the throttle and cause the clutch to reengage
-Only braking you will have with the engine off is a little clutch friction, so basically you will have to strap the quad or let it rock
-Yes you can still use it as a manual clutch but it won't bog down as bad although you can adjust the engagement some to make it come in a little lower rpm
-Not hard, instructions are pretty simple if you have questions post and someone should be able to answer

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love my rekluse. Come in to a turn hot, lock up the rear, gas right back out. No clutch. I think I used the clutch like 3 times in a 4 hour ride

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve looked into these clutches I would like to try a recluse auto clutch, there are many perks to the auto clutch. one of them would be while racing pulling the hole shot or if your chasing someone into a turn and they lock up their brakes causing your to stall with with a regular clutch. There would be a learning curve for remembering how the auto function works because it reacts the same as a CVT. Once the rear tires stall or lock up the brakes On a decent the clutch will disengage. I’ve heard the new version of this clutch is far superior then the previous versions, because it allows you to tune the clutch based off the engines RPM’s for when the clutch disengages, based off of which weights you chose.

I know your not comparing the difference between Hinson and Recluse, but between the two, Hinson might be the less stressful on your trans, less maintenance, and more durable then the recluse. Especially if you do have a 06+ TRX Hinson might be a better choice, since they are known for a glass trans depending on how hard you are on your bike.

Here’s a YouTube video to check out before you pull the trigger.

Now Recluse and Hinson are both excellent clutches, Recluse may hook up the hardest but might wear out faster. While the Hinson will hook up just as good but be easier on your transmission. If your all about performance Recluse

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another thing to think about the Recluse since you are a trail rider, is that if your battery dies out on the trail, you won’t be able to bump start it. The bikes that can be bump started, are bikes that have hydraulic clutches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would you guys recommend the Rekluse for the dunes?
No, this clutch is mainly best for racing situations or technical trail riding where feathering the clutch is frequent. But I would not want to be stranded by an auto clutch if your bike only has an electric starter and either your battery dies or your starter clutch goes out on you. I think only KTM and Husqvarna dirt bike can be set up for emergency to be bump started because they have a hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would you guys recommend the Rekluse for the dunes?
No, this clutch is mainly best for racing situations or technical trail riding where feathering the clutch is frequent. But I would not want to be stranded by an auto clutch if your bike only has an electric starter and either your battery dies or your starter clutch goes out on you. I think only KTM and Husqvarna dirt bike can be set up for emergency to be bump started because they have a hydraulic clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts