Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't see alot of details about FT and TT quad setups on this forum. There's a ton of MX and XC setup threads, but not many of the old flat trackers. There was some guys in years past who used to be real into it and they posted up all kinds of good info, juicebythefoot was one of them.

So, what are all you guys running?

My current setup is +2 a arms, with no spacers, a lowering link in the rear and razr tt's on douglas rims, i don't run heel guards and the chassey and swinger are stock. still looking for a sway bar.

What width are you guys running? Does anybody run +3 a arms? I know my +2's are actually +4 total so i believe i'm around 49inches in the front. my rear is just shy of 49inches.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Ijust run a front lowering kit stock a arms with +1 inch spacer on each side and i also run a rear lowering kit with +2 inch spacers on each side.

im looking for a sway bar and debating if i should by a tusk adjustable axle

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the g force axle is well worth the money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been in flattrack/TT/ice racing off and on for about ten years now and learn something new all the time, and it's all usually from fellow racers sharing info (chassis setup anyways, motor stuff is a little hush hush ;) ) I'm in the middle of my flattrack build now and will post pics when done.

As far as setup, swaybar is an absolute must. I have a Rath now but have had iTi Performance too, which I actually prefer. I have +2 Lonestar a arms with Elkas up front, -3 Roberts Racing swingarm with a lower link.

Suspension is important along with ride height. I like to have the front nice and stiff with the rear shock as soft as possible. For ride height I prefer to have my front a little higher than the rear without having too much of angle on the swingarm or a arms.

On the 450Rs many guys (pros) will run around 48-49" but nothing wider otherwise you risk losing traction.

·
sb/ss pump gas kickin ass
3,213 Posts
shorter swing arms and lower center of gravity help. i know someone makes a kit to lower your sub frame but i forget who. its threaded and adjustable.

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great input panici. How do guys set up your sway bar? I'm a total newb at this, and when the new sway bar comes i want to be able to get it tuned in right. On a flat track with no banks do you set all the wheels even or do you put more weight on the inside or on the outside? I know guys usually use 4 scales and then try to get the weight distributed how they want it.

the lowering kits are made by crj or durablue also makes them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
great input panici. How do guys set up your sway bar? I'm a total newb at this, and when the new sway bar comes i want to be able to get it tuned in right. On a flat track with no banks do you set all the wheels even or do you put more weight on the inside or on the outside? I know guys usually use 4 scales and then try to get the weight distributed how they want it.

the lowering kits are made by crj or durablue also makes them.
With ovals, you want more weight on the right front and left rear. Too much weight will make it difficult to turn and not enough weight will cause the quad to "roll." You put the quad on four scales, make sure your swaybar is in the neutral position and then record the weight. Then adjust your swaybar to put weight on the right front and left rear. The less bank you have in the track the more "wedge" or weight you want on those tires. For TT tracks, I usually just leave my bar at the neutral position.

Tire pressure is as important as swaybar set up. Less air a tire has the more contact patch on the track increasing traction but the less rigid the sidewall is. The more air the less contact patch but stronger the sidewall. If the track as a lot of traction you want more air to increase the rigidity of the sidewall and to prevent "roll over" or "roll under" (I know some of my terms aren't correct). This basically means that the tire will roll over and under the rim causing sometimes to even lose the tire or get a flat. To run as little air as possible you will see guys run beadlocks on the rear.

Typically on the oval, the tire pressure in the left rear is lower than your right so that tire is getting more traction and making it easier to slide under control; it will also help with weight distribution.

I am certainly no expert, but that's just a few things I tend to do. You'd be surprised how much you will learn by watching the sprint/midgets and other dirt track cars.

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i've been going to dirt track races for years and never paid attention in the pits but i'm going to start. What psi's do you run? i run razr tt's which a soft compound, almost feels like jelly. I run around 9psi in all 4 tires. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same tires but it will be the first time running them and not sure how they will act. Previously, I ran Hoosiers; tire pressure is really going to depend on the track but 10psi would be the highest (although I have ran 11-12 on some tracks).

One other important thing to mention, which you will see a lot of the pros doing, is body position on the quad. On the tank into the corners, and to the back out of the corners with your ass on the fender.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would have to agree with the above statement.

There's a lot to getting your setup just right! It really depends how far u want to get into the sport on where your setup will end up. You can dump a lot of money in these thing pretty quickly.

The only thing I can add the the above is to tell u about shocks and ride height.

If u have the money and u really r set on doing flat track you will need and good motor before any of the rest.

If you just wanting to test the waters so called then stock shock with lowering kit and wheel spacers will get u by to just (test the waters!). You really want to get serious then I would do both my motor and shocks. These two things r most important. Then as u go you could pick up and other key compontents. Like a-arms, axel, supframe mod (which u can do by your self) swinger and so on
As you can read there is a trend on ride height on the Org already for all setups pretty much. Your aimming for 5 1/4 to 5 3/4 front and rear and no more then an inch lower 4 1/4 to 4 3/4. Now your may find you like a diff height but this will help u get the feel for your bike. This height you will feel the differance when cornering over shock height.

Just remember your going to be doing a lot of trial and error in getting your setup to match your riding style and setup!

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a sway bar and should get it in sometime next week. Any pointers as to how to set this thing up? I've never installed one and i'm sure the installation will be easy i'm more concerned about getting it set properly. I think at first i'll want to start with even resistance on both arms. Do you guys use scales or is there a way I can install it and at least make it function properly for the race at the end of the month.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Buy scales...it will make things easier; they're really cheap at Walmart. Then put the bar in neutral (no weight or resistance) and adjust from there.

When installing your swaybar, the swaybar will be most efficient when the arms of the swaybar are level with the ground and the links connected to the arms are perpendicular with ground.

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks panici. I'll try the scales. what do you put your adjustments at? neutral or a little more on the outside?

·
Registered
285 Posts
With ovals, you want more weight on the right front and left rear. Too much weight will make it difficult to turn and not enough weight will cause the quad to "roll." You put the quad on four scales, make sure your swaybar is in the neutral position and then record the weight. Then adjust your swaybar to put weight on the right front and left rear. The less bank you have in the track the more "wedge" or weight you want on those tires. For TT tracks, I usually just leave my bar at the neutral position.
^^^

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much weight we talking for a flat oval track?

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's really going to depend on shocks, chassis setup, tire pressure, the type of scales you have, etc so I couldn't really tell ya. When I was running stock suspension on my yfz450 I was between 80-110 lbs, if I recall.

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah my shocks are way to soft, i've got to get them over to jet before next season. They're triple rate springs on stock shocks and when i put the +2's on they got real soft, as expected. They feel like a cadillac on the trails, but bottom out way too easy on any kind of jump.

thanks for the pointers panici

·
Registered
199 Posts
Like he said above, the wight will very depending on track conditions. If track is real tacking then your going to need less wight. If track is dry slick you will need more wight on the tires to hook and pull u though to corners. You will find your sweet spot just trial and error. No one can tell the exact number you looking for cause everyone rides diff and all have diff setups. Yo u have to get your bike setup for you setup and riding style. You can look at pics and get an idea of the basic setup to install your sway bar. If your arms have taps for a sway bar use them of not mount using your front shock bolts and mount them there. Then mount the front of bar using your bumper mounts on the front of your quad. Just make sure you have the same amount of bar on each side of your mounts. In other words make sure she is centered.

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey guys, quick question. My a arms do not have the tabs to mount the sway bar, but the swaybar i picked up is one that mounts to the a arm mounts on the frame and then to the a arms themselves. Is this a good setup or should i get ahold of Rath and try to get the hardware that actually mounts to the bottom shock mount? I believe what i received is more a universal setup in that it can bolt up to any a arm. I'm assuming it bolts to the back of the upper a arm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The brackets you have will work just fine. The tabs that I have on my a arms are welded in, so the only thing Rath would be able to provide you are the aluminum brackets that you already have...and yes they will bolt up to the back of the upper arms.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts