Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i primarily just sand drag for fun and some trail riding. My problem is i couldn't figure out the timing of when to shift. Sometimes it would ran real fast but other times it will bogged down. I have a curtis sparks exhaust, esr air box eliminator kit,hrc kit(just have the cam now since the other stuff is no longer needed) 15 tooth front sprocket with a 185 jetting. Does anyone think that i should get a higher getting since somebody sugested that with the esr air filter that the jetting should be around 200? or should i go one tooth down? Let me know what you guys think, thanks in advance

·
Registered
350 Posts
If your in the sand and trails I would go to a 13T. As far as jetting it really depends on where you are riding. Temp and elevation. 200 is normally really rich. 180-190 is more the norm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright imma try the 13th tooth sprocket this weekend, see how that goes, im headin to spinreel by the oregon coast, heard they have a bunch of sand trails over there. thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well when i got my sparks exhaust with the hrc kit my mechanic suggested going one up since my friends and i drag very long straight aways, but now everyone has a setup of short drag and i dont even reach my top gear where all my power is. i didnt have to pop the clutch at all, i start first gear and it still bites but what messes me up is when to shift because sometimes it would pull or bog a lil bit. so maybe with a lower sprocket, it would solve my problem probably and start on second gear. :D

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Red450Rider@Sep 3 2004, 03:17 AM
well when i got my sparks exhaust with the hrc kit my mechanic suggested going one up since my friends and i drag very long straight aways, but now everyone has a setup of short drag and i dont even reach my top gear where all my power is. i didnt have to pop the clutch at all, i start first gear and it still bites but what messes me up is when to shift because sometimes it would pull or bog a lil bit.  so maybe with a lower sprocket, it would solve my problem probably and start on second gear. :D
you coudnt possibly start in 2nd gear with a 15 tooth sprocket. this machine is geared high to begin with. I cant think of any reasons you would want to go up one tooth in front. thats why you are getting bog when you shift gears. with your mods, I would definatly run the stock 14 tooth sprocket, even in the sand. In stock form the 14 tooth wouldnt be good, but with your mods the 14 tooth will be perfect for sand. I found that the 13 tooth is geared to low in the since that when you open this motor up, it has enough power to pull the 14 tooth sprocket better then the 13 tooth one. The 13 tooth ends up slowing you down because the potential of the engine has enough power to accel you faster with the 14 tooth. Cause you reach the top speed in first gear just as fast with the 13 tooth sprocket as you do with the 14 tooth sprocket, the difference is the 14 tooth sprocket has a higher top speed. ...me and my friend who has a 450r modded the same as mine, was beating the crap out of me in drags, every time. but he had the 14 tooth sprocket on and I had the 13 tooth sprocket on. So I went and put the 14 tooth sprocket on mine. now that we are both running 14 tooth sprocket we are dead even. who ever gets the better start that round normally wins. but its always side by side now....when I had the 13 tooth sprocket he would jump about 2 bike lengths in front of me and once I started shifting I would stay about 2 lengths behind him and he wouldnt pull on me anymore. but because the 14 tooth sprocket had a higher top speed that gave him a 2 lenght jump on me right off the line....If I would have started in 2nd gear it may have helped me a little, but still not enough. the fix was to put the 14 tooth sprocket back on......and now I wont change it back for nothing....hope this helps. and try it out for yourself.....later B)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I have a friend that runs a 12t in front and a 41 in the back and he takes off like a bat out of hell in the sand. I would think you are to high geared for the sand. When I was out in the sand I had a 13t and a 38t in back and I still felt like it needed more. Put a 13t on in front and if it still feels funny then go to a bigger sprocket in the back! :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I usually run my stock 14T in the sand. Today when we went out I wish that I would have had my 13T installed. It rained all day and the sand was really tacky.

Between the Weather Channel and Mother Nature I don't know who pi$$es me of more!!! Forecast for NO rain (0% chance) and it rained all day! Drive 200 miles one way to get soaked and trash the interior of my truck!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by clutch@Sep 5 2004, 10:33 PM
I usually run my stock 14T in the sand.  Today when we went out I wish that I would have had my 13T installed.  It rained all day and the sand was really tacky.

Between the Weather Channel and Mother Nature I don't know who pi$$es me of more!!!  Forecast for NO rain (0% chance) and it rained all day!  Drive 200 miles one way to get soaked and trash the interior of my truck!   
Sorry to here that. It's really sucks when you plan for something and everything go's wrong! :wacko:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just put my stock front sprocket and it rips! i read somewhere that if i go down to a 36 sprocket in the back that it would be alot faster. http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/trx450r.htm this is where i started to mess with numbers. Do you guys think its worth it or just save my money to get something else? thanks

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Red450Rider@Sep 21 2004, 03:23 AM
i just put my stock front sprocket and it rips! i read somewhere that if i go down to a 36 sprocket in the back that it would be alot faster.  http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/trx450r.htm this is where i started to mess with numbers.  Do you guys think its worth it or just save my money to get something else? thanks
How is your bottom end. Going that way should take away from that!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts