Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.
As many of you now know, after the mixxer and 1986atc250R dyno thread, I made mention of a contact at JE and getting some 99 bore high comp pistons made. All the details are taken care of, and I have placed an order. I am told 2-1/2 weeks. I am counting on 3. Thats to me, and then shipping from me to you. (I am in Salt Lake City).
They are 99mm bore, 13.8:1 (110 octane recommended) and some fancy oil (right Desert?), 2 ring (1 comp ring, one oil ring).
I am thinking of having a skirt coating put on them to reduce friction even more. JE does not recommend a crown coating, which is curious because HPC does. Je is the piston company and HPC is a coating compny, so I left all coatings off.. It can always be done after the fact. Any coating can be done locally (here in SLC, by HPC). The best in the business. I will have an extra ring set available, I will be keeping a second set of rings for my self. EDIT: Rings colst $35 for a set of extras. They are available anytime. So I am nto ordering any more at this time.

Any thoughts, suggestions, problems, or orders?

Cost is : $190.00 per piston (includes rings. pin, and circlips) does not include gaskets, does not include coatings.
Gaskets cost $40.00 for the head gasket. Stock thickness. I ordered 3 of them. 29ftex said he had one, I have one. So I have them avail for the other 3 pistons coming.
Coatings : $45 for crown and skirt coating.
For the record.....
I am not making any money on this deal. I am strictly doing this so I can get the piston I want and not have to order 5 for my self. I will not assume any responsibility for these pistons either. This will reduce ring life, will increase head pressure, will require race gas (110), and will not last as long as stock. I take no responsibility for your engine, just because you bought a piston through me.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Set one aside for me. I have an extra head gasket from FST. You use the stock base gasket. I also have an extra set of rings from FST for the 99mm bore, so I assume they would work if I need to rebuild. Let me know when they come in. Thanks for doing all of the leg work.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
KGB, I wouldn't mind getting a 13.5 or 13.8:1, 2 compression ring piston 99mm if anyone else would want this let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luke.....
If we can get 4 guys who want it I can get it for you through my buddy. The cost might be a bit more, since there is one more ring. If enough guys fall in line I have no problem hooking it up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Count me in on one of the pistons too (99mm bore 2 rings total). I wont need the gasket set either I already have a spare set. curios though, was the piston pin and c-clips included?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crashalot.....You want the 2 ringer, correct?
Yes pin and circlips are included.
So.....
All the pistons I have are spoken for.
If any more are wanted I can see if I can get one at a time, now that I had the initial set made up.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EDIT:
I have just got off the phone with HPC and had quite a long discussion with a good friend who is a old school drag racer. He has been around the block many times, and has quite a few sub 9.00 time slips to prove it. Anyway, he told me without a doubt I should go with the coatings.
It cost $45.00 per piston for both applications. Click on the HPC above and read on the two different coatings, one for the skirt,a dn one for the crown. I realize this drives the cost up to over $200 for the piston (which puts it in the other guys price range), but this is going to be done right. I am going to do this on my piston. If you are interested, the Corporate Headquarters of HPC is here in my hometown. I know the owner and can get it done right and quick. They are the best, just ask:
Sam Hornish, Warren Johnson, Tony Shumacher, Matt Hines, Craig Trebel, and Kurt Johnson, to name a few of their customers.
HPC has been used by:
13 - Indy 500 wins
14 - Daytona 500 wins
2 - IRL Championships
5 - 24 Hours of LeMans wins
9 - 24 Hours of Daytona wins
8 - NHRA Top Fuel World Championships
5 - NHRA Top Fuel Funny Car World Championships
17 - NHRA Pro Stock World Championships
14 - NHRA Pro Stock Bike World Championships

Thoughts?

·
Registered
612 Posts
let me know... i was out over the weekend and just read the post... i'm still interested in what you got... so let me know if you can get one at a time... thanks

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
ok guys, even though no one asked me, i'm going to tell you.

this is why je says you should not use a thermal barrier on the crown.

pistons aren't round (not even close) when they are cold.

they are not even cylindrical. when they are cold. they are wider at the skirt and taper to a smaller dome.

the piston companies have expended much time to match these shapes to the specific formula for the materials they use.

obviously the top of the piston is exposed to much greater heat than the skirt.
the shapes that the companies design into the pistons when they are cold is done to insure that they are round and cylindrical, with proper heat loaded clearance : AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE

coating the piston top with a thermal barrier, without attendant changes to the cold form of the pistons, ruins the at temp form that the piston companies spend so much effort to develop. thats why je recommends against it.

if someone actually uses the thermal coatings for heavy nitrous or heavily boosted motors, pistons are specially developed for that application. you should never take a piston developed without such a barrier in mind and apply a barrier.

coating on the piston skirt to reduce friction is fine but is only of assistance if the oil barrier is insufficient to prevent contact, and if it isn't you are in serious trouble anyway

Q: if i paid someone a large amount of sponsor money to run a certain brand of, lets say oil, if they run the companies oil logos on the outside of the machine , does that guarantee what kind of oil is actually inside the motor?

..................mixxer

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I take it you are not sold on piston coatings?

Fair enough, and it makes perfect sense, but:
Do any high dollar racers have pistons designed with a crown coating in mind? I am assuming that your reference to oil logos is referring to me saying HPC sponsors alot of winners.
HPC also is very big in exhaust system coatings.
What are your thoughts on the rest of the idea?

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
awesome idea on the exhaust ,although i'd prefer to coat stainless and use the ceramic to seal in heat and not as a corrosion barrier.

if you can keep the heat in an exhaust, you can keep the velocity of the exhaust charge high. velocity creates vacuum and makes the exhaust system more efficient. if you do it, coat the inside as well as the outside. it looks cool too! B)

piston guys know more about their pistons than coating guys ^_^

............mixxer

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have ALWAYS had HPC coat in and out of every exhaust system I have owned from quads, to my Hedman headers on my truck.
In my first post it says: HPC said to do it, JE said not to, since JE is a piston company and HPC is a coating company I left it off.
The thing that got me was my buddy, he is old school as it gets, and you know those guys, usually don't buy into high hech unless its good. He knows his stuff for sure.
I will ask JE:
I asked JE, they said almost word for word what mixxer said. HPC still stands ny their coating, but I am going to pass, based on JE and Mixxer's input.

Tuffguy and Dart,
JE can make more for me, but I have to buy in groups of 4 minimum. SInce they already startd onthe first group, I cannot add to it. Since I am not in this for money, I do not want to buy the extra 2 pistons and hope somebody buys them. I will however, make an effort to dig up a few more buyers, so I can accomidate you two. I am going to post info on exriders and maybe another site or two. I will see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi KGB... this is the_hulkamaniac. I'm just using my brothers computer, hence the diff name. Definatly interested in the Hi-Comp piston. If you are still getting somemore w/coating on the sides. Not top.. if mixxer say's it's not the best then I would have to say his point is well founded, but I would try the side coating anyway.

Shoot me a pm if you are getting another batch, on this one or the _hulkamaniac.

p.s. if I am violating any forum rules by not logging in properly I will change my practices. Just this comp has automatic log-in setup.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Due to a unfortunate development in my lower end this weekend, I will be waiting for quite a while before I get my engine back together.

I thought I could offer the piston I was going to keep to either dart, tuffguy, or hulkamaniac. Dart asked first for the record.....

I will be getting one, for sure, but its going to be a while before I need it.
So either of you two want to claim it?
My crank seized, I don't want to get into it util I know what happened, but it is probably some kind of oiling failure. It was idling in my garage when she locked up.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bottom end! Keep us posted on the results/findings.

Well if dart and tuffguy pass it up being 3rd on the list, I will take it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[email protected]
Please click th above link to email me about these pistons. I am not a sponsor, I am not a retailer, I am nor making money. I do not want to upset anyone here. I am glad to help, but please do not assume I am a shop or a store.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pistons just showed up. I will be on contact with those of you who I talked to about it via email. I wanted to post some photos of the finished product.

Some specs without giving up my design.....
Piston weight 314 grams
Set Clerance to .0020" (.05mm)
98.98mm bore
They look great. I can't wait to hear abot how these run. I imagine some of you will get to run it before I do.

WARNING: I am going to leave the pictures big so you can see the detail better, dial up beware.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts