Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 14.25:1 venom piston came in today along with gaskets and a few other small parts, cam and timing chain will be here tomorrow and hopefully will hear this beast "bust off" by Friday. I am looking for advise on any small details that I should do or double check while installing the piston/cylinder. And also any advise on the initial startup setup of this 44mm lectron carb would be great also, never had a lectron before and would like to have it adjusted colse enough to atleast start up.

Any info would be greatly appreicated....and oh yeah i hope this CW cylinder holds up to the +3 hotrods crank got my fingers crossed

·
Registered
809 Posts
First, throw away the biggest ring. Its black I believe and it really doesnt fit anywhere on the piston. Next, check your ring end gap by installing the rings one at a time into the cylinder down about 3/4".

Use the piston to push the ring down evenly once you get it into the top of the cylinder. The ring ends should match up nice and even. Get a feeler gauge and slide a small gauge into the end gap. Progress up to the next size and when you find the one that fits snug but does slide smoothly into the gap, thats your current ring end gap.

The oil rings (bottom ones) should be anything over .015" and the one compression ring (single top ring) should be anywhere from .012" .015" and no more. If you end up with more the sky wont fall but you may not achieve the "best" power results and it may use a hair bit more oil depending on how much bigger it is.

Make sure you dont overlap the squiggly center oil ring onto itself when installing the piston/rings into the cylinder.

Carefully file the rings if needed to the proper specs if they are too tight.

Also, dont forget to thouroghly wash the cylinder walls down with some soapy water and remove all grit from the boring process.

That'll get you started in the right direction! Goodluck....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info....Looks like I will have to file the compression ring a little bit cant quite get a .012 feeler in there, looks like its at .010 and the oil rings look right on at .015..

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
dont put the piston in backwards lmao remember the big cutouts go toward the rear

may sound stupid but its happened before

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
A nice little trick I use when installing the piston is to put a little white out on each end of the squigly oil ring so I can see that it is butted up and not overlapping itself.

Also make sure you set your decompressor via a compression gauge. Anywhere from 60-90 psi.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well my 14.25:1 venom piston came in today along with gaskets and a few other small parts, cam and timing chain will be here tomorrow and hopefully will hear this beast "bust off" by Friday. I am looking for advise on any small details that I should do or double check while installing the piston/cylinder. And also any advise on the initial startup setup of this 44mm lectron carb would be great also, never had a lectron before and would like to have it adjusted colse enough to atleast start up.

Any info would be greatly appreicated....and oh yeah i hope this CW cylinder holds up to the +3 hotrods crank got my fingers crossed[/b]
44mm lectron on gas or alky? If its on gas, I'd say trade it for a 43.5 or 44mm FCR. for alky it makes good power but has to be cleaned often.
either way, polish the slide with some 800-2000 grit sand paper and a little mothers polish. (helps keep it from sticking)
As far as jetting, i have no clue. still trying to tune mine. i have a pe2 needle, on alky.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am running a PE4 rod in my lectron and it will be running gas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts