Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the lastes dirt weels and they tested the 500 cc FST. Does any one have this setup? how does it perform over stock? If you don't mine who much does it cost? And also and pros and cons thanks for the info.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
86atc250r's fst 500 setup will be on my dyno in 3 days. so will my 13.8:1 450cc setup. i have never seen a person spend a buttload of money on a performance item and then claim it wasn't really worth it. as a matter of fact the more it costs the less likely it is. a more objective test is always done with a referee or 3rd party. people will search until they find only what they wish to hear, it's only human nature..............mixxer

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
86atc250r's fst 500 setup will be on my dyno in 3 days. so will my 13.8:1 450cc setup. i have never seen a person spend a buttload of moey on a performance item and then claim it wasn't really worth it. as a matter of fact the more it costs the less likely it is. a more objective test is always done with a referee or 3rd party. people will search until they find only what they wish to hear, it's only human nature..............mixxer[/b]
Will you be sharing the results of this evaluation?
I, am very curious.

86ATC250R will have a FCR carb and you a stocker?

Just for the record, I spent a fair share, I would not call $1500 a boatload, on my 440 ex engine, but it was not worth it at all. I will be the first to admit it, I sold it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Originally posted by mixxer@Sep 14 2004, 03:20 PM
86atc250r's fst 500 setup will be on my dyno in 3 days.  so will my 13.8:1 450cc setup. i have never seen a person spend a buttload of moey on a performance item and then claim it wasn't really worth it.  as a matter of fact the more it costs the less likely it is.  a more objective test is always done with a referee or 3rd party.  people will search until they find only what they wish to hear, it's only human nature..............mixxer
mixxer, how far are you from him? I'm in Arkansas and would love to have mine dynoed. Brad Covington is supposed to get Mark Krotky's dyno, and he's in Batesville,AR.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I just got my FST piston today and I know mickey got 9 more today also. The kit can be had for less if you don't do the cylnder exchange. This is the route I took. My cylinder will be off to millinium tomorrow. I know mickey has a couple cylinders on hand although I don't know if they're spoken for. I'm alittle anxious to get mine back although I can wait. I hope it's as good a gain as others have said.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also have the FST 500cc kit.I think the 500 bucks was a good bang for my buck.Install was easy and boy does it pull hard.

·
Registered
430 Posts
me too, i also what to run pump gas (93-94 octane) where i live, i cant get race fuel

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
i live in michigan guys, gabe is driving up from missouri. have i ever kept any information from you guys?!?? this is a learning and silver lake duning adventure, not a cage match.

13.8:1 is not an option for those limited to pump fuel.

i have always tried to make an engine perform best with the least amount of cubic dollars thrown at it.

keep in mind that esoteric builds also require esoteric parts for their rebuilds (gaskets too). some will make you illegal for specific classes also.

je pistons makes these 500cc pistons. they will only fill custom orders for a minimum of 4 pistons. if enough of you want to have this setup why don't you pool your cash and order [email protected]$125 each. better yet order 2 each and have your esoteric spare for next season. much better yet je will fill orders for customs in any compression you want so you can go for 13:1+ and 500cc to make it really something.

...............mixxer

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Good idea on the bulk JE order, sounds like the way to go. I can't wait to here the results.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I tend to sway to the thinking of mixxer ... Just keep the stock bore and bump the compression ... There's always a few other tricks to gain HP if you have the compression to work with IMO ...

I just hope the aftermarket doesn't stall with all the negative press the 450R is getting ... DRD told me that their 450R slip-on is one of the slowest movers ... Hence the low prices we are seeing on this system IMO ...

With the stock piston, it may be the best way to go for overall power ... Oh well ... I'll keep it my secret ... [/b]
I was originally thinking that the bike would benefit from just a higher compression piston, but I've talked some people who have all said that it responds better to a bigger bore than higher compression pistons. I was even reading that some people lost top end with the 13.8:1 piston. I'm hearing more and more positive resutls from the 500 kit than the high compression kit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
im racing my stock bore 13.5:1 this weekend and my 500 kit will be here next wednesday so i will race that in the gncc's next week i will let everyone know what my opinion is. from the ride i have had on the 500 i definately liked it alot more but we will see

·
Registered
497 Posts
If and when FST comes out with a 3 ring version of their kit, then I will definately get one!!
Joe

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
why do you guys think that the move in high rpm high output 4-strokes are expiramenting with ring packs that ony have 1 compression ring?

friction!!!!!!!!

the bigger bore and higher you rev the more friction comes to be a serious factor.

great idea to wait for a 3 ringer when there is very good reason it is a 2 ringer from honda on the crf anyway.

desert, your quote on arguing with idiots is funny as sh!t!!!! i haven't heard that one till now. the last one i heard was "when 1 argues with a fool , it makes 2"

.............mixxer

·
Registered
497 Posts
why do you guys think that the move in high rpm high output 4-strokes are expiramenting with ring packs that ony have 1 compression ring?

friction!!!!!!!!

the bigger bore and higher you rev the more friction comes to be a serious factor.

great idea to wait for a 3 ringer when there is very good reason it is a 2 ringer from honda on the crf anyway.

desert, your quote on arguing with idiots is funny as sh!t!!!! i haven't heard that one till now. the last one i heard was "when 1 argues with a fool , it makes 2" 

.............mixxer[/b]
I understand completely that 2 rings is less friction than 3, but for me I much rather have the 3 rings for reliability reasons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts