Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the stock cylinder be bored out and plated to a 490cc on the 04/05s?

Who has the pistons for them?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
im pretty sure Mwsartain has one, i think he got it from Racers Edge/morgan, im almost positive its a sleeved cylinder..

could be wrong wouldnt be the 1st time..lol

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Depends on compression low comp less than 12:1 you will be ok, above that better jug or a sleeve. Gabe was running a fst 99mm, forever and a day and from what I heard it never had a problem. I have one I can sell cheap, fst 12:1.

If you spray then it won't hold up as well.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Go with the sleeved cylinder and the 13:1 piston. The RE set-up works great. You won't be disappointed!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
mark how has yours been holding up sence the head gasket? guessamate on hours?[/b]

It has held up great! But...........the rod let loose a few weeks ago. I have a new crank on order along with some new cases. I'm gonna re-use the same topend.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
you staying same build? mark 490cc? or maybe go bigger?[/b]

I'm not going any bigger! My final build was just to much. I gained some after tuning it out (Post Litlle Sahara) and had increased clutch problems. I've been thru 6 clutches since last December. And in some cases, I missed riding because of the clutch letting loose on a trip.

I thought about going smaller...............but, I just don't tink that I can stand going back. Dee can do a little change in my head and take me back to 60hp. That seems to be do-able without adding a lock out and the cool thing is, he can take me back up to where I am now within minutes if I want it back.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
that cool, im sure it'll be a runner either way, be cool to see what ya can get out of a stock bore, and cheaper too..

if my new build ever goes sour, depending on the damage it'll be stock bore with NOS..

ya only can throw so much money at these things with a average joe income..

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
that cool, im sure it'll be a runner either way, be cool to see what ya can get out of a stock bore, and cheaper too..

if my new build ever goes sour, depending on the damage it'll be stock bore with NOS..

ya only can throw so much money at these things with a average joe income..[/b]

I'm with ya brotha! Nos is easy and cheap, it just doesn't work well on the MX track! LOL

To tell ya the truth, I'm not real interested in throwing much more money at this thing, that's why I want to step back a little. I can put my money in other toys!

·
Registered
148 Posts
A 3 mm stroke and a 2 mm over bore works very well in the 05 cases lots of power and still good over rev comes out to 490 ccs the considerably longer rod helps the life of the piston even with the added stroke i have seen 66 hp and 43 pounds of torque on a conservative engine only 13-1 compression and 42.5 carburetor the engine still made 64 ho @11000 rpm .

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

I'm not going any bigger! My final build was just to much. I gained some after tuning it out (Post Litlle Sahara) and had increased clutch problems. I've been thru 6 clutches since last December. And in some cases, I missed riding because of the clutch letting loose on a trip.

I thought about going smaller...............but, I just don't tink that I can stand going back. Dee can do a little change in my head and take me back to 60hp. That seems to be do-able without adding a lock out and the cool thing is, he can take me back up to where I am now within minutes if I want it back.
[/b]
Yep, it's official..........I hate you, LOL!!

You want Dee to "take you back to 60hp", just sounds wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

[/b]
Yep, it's official..........I hate you, LOL!!

You want Dee to "take you back to 60hp", just sounds wrong.
[/b]
Be happy with where your at Bueller. Your bike is real fast and you can ride it everyday and not feel like your sitting on a timebomb!

You start going 60hp and above and the clutch, tranny, and lower internals were just not designed to take the stress. On top of that, spend 15 minutes on a track with big power and your arms just turn to jello! Ha-ha

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
A 3 mm stroke and a 2 mm over bore works very well in the 05 cases lots of power and still good over rev comes out to 490 ccs the considerably longer rod helps the life of the piston even with the added stroke i have seen 66 hp and 43 pounds of torque on a conservative engine only 13-1 compression and 42.5 carburetor the engine still made 64 ho @11000 rpm .[/b]
ron are you talking about the stock 04 rod being longer then the 06 rod. or something else?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts