Honda TRX 450R banner

490 kit

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  D-RACER 
#1 ·
I was just looking through one of our catalogs and it show an Athena 490cc kit for the 02-04 CRF, and the dyno graph of it says 62.8 hp. Will this fit on the TRX?? cuz if it will

See less See more
#4 ·
I believe Duncan and Four Stroke Tech have 500cc kits.

#9 ·
GT Thunder has a 500 kit that is just a 7mm stroke and that is it..... no bore... i think they have some porting going on but not sure... they havent told me everything yet...... :huh:

The FST is a 500 with the 7mm stroke as well but he told me that is was big valves and port job with high rev CDI.....

They both are saying HUGE increase in torque and decent pick up in the HP....

My kinda bike...... :D

Oh yea and the 490 kit is just a bore kit for the CRF.... i dont think it will work cause the trx has a smaller bore to start with .... if it will work then it should put the trx at 500cc and not 490..... I THINK.......

#10 ·
Originally posted by Kybol@Jun 3 2004, 06:26 PM
I was just looking through one of our catalogs and it show an Athena 490cc kit for the 02-04 CRF, and the dyno graph of it says 62.8 hp.  Will this fit on the TRX?? cuz if it will  :eek:
[snapback]6311[/snapback]​
why is it that so much power can be made from the dirt bike engine?

#12 ·
Seriously a 7mm stroke? 94 x 71.8 thats a big crank, short rod or spacer? Stock crank or billet? Just curious.

#13 ·
Originally posted by D-RACER@Nov 11 2005, 07:32 PM
[snapback]157785[/snapback]​
They don't lose as much power through the drivetrain. While they may make 62.8 or so on the CRF, the same motor in the TRX would be closer to 55 or maybe 56. Another thing, the CRF motors aren't quite as torquey if I remember right.

Also, that kit will probably work in the 06 CRF-based quads.

#14 ·
Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac@Nov 11 2005, 08:35 PM
Seriously a 7mm stroke?  94 x 71.8  thats a big crank, short rod or spacer?  Stock crank or billet?  Just curious.
[snapback]157803[/snapback]​

You also have to look back to WHEN that was posted... that was the Info i was getting from both the companies at the time.... :crazy:

Now they are both Bores ONLY..... :11doh:

Boy how the times have changed.... :blink:

#15 ·
I hate how really old post keep popping up. I'm not a stickler for the details. :11doh:

#16 ·
#18 ·
Originally posted by D-RACER+Nov 11 2005, 04:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kybol
@Jun 3 2004, 06:26 PM
I was just looking through one of our catalogs and it show an Athena 490cc kit for the 02-04 CRF, and the dyno graph of it says 62.8 hp.  Will this fit on the TRX?? cuz if it will  :eek:
[snapback]6311[/snapback]​
[snapback]157785[/snapback]​
[/b]
yes alot of power can be made to a dirtbike engine. same to a quad engine. but weight plays an important variable on how much of that power can be put through the rear wheels of quad. quads are much heavier. thats why if you read through the forums theres alot of machines being modified by removing certain parts to lighten the bike, or replacing existing parts with lighter ones.

hopes this helps.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Rico450R@Jun 8 2004, 03:16 PM
I don't know how any of you feel, but don't get a Wiseco piston! They are the bottom of the line pistons. I would get either a Ross or a JE piston! Just a thought! B)
[snapback]6674[/snapback]​
rico
im wondering what make you feel that wiseco is bottom of the line? i have not heard of anyone cracking or breaking a wiseco. i think wiseco and je are a joint effort now. and many builders that have a lot to loose (reputation wise) use wiseco in their kit and builds.
a few off the top of my head
FST
ESR
Baldwin

#20 ·
Originally posted by Rico450R@Jun 8 2004, 12:16 PM
I don't know how any of you feel, but don't get a Wiseco piston! They are the bottom of the line pistons. I would get either a Ross or a JE piston! Just a thought! B)
[snapback]6674[/snapback]​

hmmm. im guessing you had a bad experience with wiseco?
they're some of the best out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.