Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....I am wondering if anyone knows what the thickness is for a 97mm Cometic 3 layer head gasket?
Actually... for that matter...I need to know the thickness of a stock OEM 94mm head gasket is too :dunno: ....I had that written down somewhere but can't find it anywhere :11doh: .

I am adding a 97mm ESR/Wiseco 12.5:1 piston and 97mm Cylinder Works cylinder to my 04 that already has the HR+3 and Wiseco 13:1 and I would like to know if the Cometic gasket will reduce my compression even further.
I may even want to try a 2 layer gasket to bump it back up to be equal with my current setup...so I guess I will need to know the thickness of the 2 layer and the availability?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :yes ....thanks

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
pretty sure they are all 0.027 i know for a fact that each layer of the oem gasket is .009 and almost 100% sure the cometic is the same, i'll go out and measure one of the tabs that hang off them on mine if knowone knows for sure

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The factory 3 layer gasket is .027 and so is the Cometic 3 layer.

Cometic does a 2 layer also, if you call them they can do a custom 2 layer.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...thanks guys...I think I will go the 2 layer route :yes .It shouldn't affect timing by any more than 1-2 degrees and will bump my compression up to almost what I am currently running....which is what I really wanted in the first place....bonus :hey:

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
your forgetting the most IMPORTANT factor of the head gasket thickness....

the QUENCH......

just so ya know......this particular honda engine loves a tight quench....

dont we all.....lol

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

the QUENCH......

dont we all.....lol[/b]

:thumbup: :rofl: ....good one...."tight quench"

Yeah...I had totally forgot about Cometic offering custom gaskets...I know taking a 3 layer one apart and just using two can and has been done many times with success.. but I would much rather buy the proper one.
I was laying in bed last night thinking about the fact that I am dropping from a 13:1 to a 12.5:1 and it was bothering me ( I like always moving forward...never back) then it hit me...I remembered reading about Cometic making gaskets in pretty much any configuration.

Hey...maybe I should look into a single layer and get out the clay....just kidding...or am I :hey:

yeah....I am. :yes

·
Registered
2,762 Posts

the QUENCH......

dont we all.....lol[/b]

:thumbup: :rofl: ....good one...."tight quench"

Yeah...I had totally forgot about Cometic offering custom gaskets...I know taking a 3 layer one apart and just using two can and has been done many times with success.. but I would much rather buy the proper one.
I was laying in bed last night thinking about the fact that I am dropping from a 13:1 to a 12.5:1 and it was bothering me ( I like always moving forward...never back) then it hit me...I remembered reading about Cometic making gaskets in pretty much any configuration.

Hey...maybe I should look into a single layer and get out the clay....just kidding...or am I :hey:

yeah....I am. :yes
[/b]
dont blame ya on just buying the correct gasket from cometic. i have talked to them on phone. they can make anything. anyway.

if you just take a middle layer out, there is none of the sealing material that adheres to the metal on the bottom of each piece. it wont adhere as well as it should. may never have a problem. but no since in chancing it. and having the worry.

just take a layer out and you'll may have more sleepless nights. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts