Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. long time reader, first time poster.

I've been reading the forums for several months, and have narrowed my search
for a new quad down to these two.

I am 6'2'' 220lbs.
32yrs old
have had utility machines in the past,
polaris400, 600gizzly, and curently 450kodiak
I ride woods and trails.

I am looking for dependable(is'nt everyone), easy on the trails(meaning I doent
want something beating me to death).

kick start doesnt bother me.

My question is, anyone own a ds before, and how does it compare to the R.
please give you're hight(I want to know how cramped you feel after a couple hours in the saddle). I have sat on both, and feel comfy on either.

I have rode a ds before and all I can say is WOW major power.
Only other sport I have ridden was a 250ex and was not impressed with handling.

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The reason I bought the 450r (350lbs) over the ds650 is weight. The DS650 weighs in at a dry weight of 470lbs (495 for the X). Filled with oil, gas, and water, considering the huge oil capacity, you can add on about another 40+ pounds. I thought about rolling that thing on top of me and then trying to push 500+ pounds off of me. Kinda scary. I really like the DS, and there isn't much better, as far as stock goes, for desert/baja (12" of front travel is a lot), but that extra 150 lbs scares me.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Well sir, i think i can give u a good review i my self have an 04 450r, and i am 180lbs and 5'10, my dad the smae height but your weight has an 03 ds 650, power wise, there dam close stock for stock. How ever trails the only problem with a ds if u find ur self in tighter trails its a lil wider, wide open fast trails is where it shines, it also a slower reving bike, the 450 is good on the trail or track, and for long riding thru rougher trails is easier to hang on and alot lighter. My dad will take his ds over the 450, he likes it and he feels more comfortable on it over the 540, but me on the other hand, being a smaller guy, prefer the 450. Thats about all i can think of, if u got sumthing i mighta missed ask away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the ds is very comfy and reliable, same w/ the trx. your size seems suited for a ds. my bud is 6', 180lbs., loves his ds. he just rode my friends trx and liked that, but felt cramped on my yfz. test ride, test ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I rode both quads....I think neither quad belongs on tight trails. They both have good power, neither has reverse. But If I had to choose it would be a 450r because it is lighter and smaller. The DS is a TANK!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I'm 6'6" 260lbs and I really like the feel of the 450r on the trails, it doesn't really matter if I'm going fast or slow it feels comfortable. One of the guys I ride with from time to time has a ds and god forbid if you get stuck on that thing because by the time you get it out you'll be ready for a nap! Lol the R is more nimble through the woods and is by far a better pick in my eyes, the ds is just too big.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by DirtyDan@Aug 23 2004, 12:07 PM
Hi all. long time reader, first time poster.

I've been reading the forums for several months, and have narrowed my search
for a new quad down to these two.

I am 6'2'' 220lbs.
32yrs old
have had utility machines in the past,
polaris400, 600gizzly, and curently 450kodiak
I ride woods and trails.

I am looking for dependable(is'nt everyone), easy on the trails(meaning I doent
want something beating me to death).

kick start doesnt bother me. 

My question is, anyone own a ds before, and how does it compare to the R.
please give you're hight(I want to know how cramped you feel after a couple hours in the saddle). I have sat on both, and feel comfy on either.

I have rode a ds before and all I can say is WOW major power.
Only other sport I have ridden was a 250ex and was not impressed with handling.

Thanks.
I believe you really need to take a look at what type of riding your going to be doing. You mentioned woods and trail riding. Most trails are tight (narrow) and I assume woods are the same. A DS650 is a reliable and comfortable quad BUT it is considerably wider, heavier, and taller than a TRX450R. Depending on what type of trail you'd be riding on a DS650 might be too big. If you are comfortable on a TRX450R and mostly ride on trails and wood trails then the TRX would be a easier machine to ride/handle on these types of terrain. I know a lot of people who ride a DS650 and really like riding them in the Dunes and on 4X4 type trails. Yes you are 6'2" and 220lbs but I know of several people who are bigger than you and love the TRX. Just my "02". :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the repleys everyone.

I guess I just needed that extra little push in the right direction.
Ever sinse the 400ex won the Baja on its release I wanted one, and now
with the R I've been going crazy.

Already talked with a dealer, and worked out a deal.
Am going to call him in the morning and tell him to prep it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm 2'1" and 210 lbs and I also ride trails...the TRX is def the way to go. Just to beat the horse a little further....wouldn't want you to have buyer's remorse. B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Originally posted by Freerider@Aug 25 2004, 01:13 AM
I'm 2'1" and 210 lbs and I also ride trails...
2'1" 210 pounds huh, well I'm calling BS on that one lol. At 2'1" you wouldn't be able to see over the handlebars let alone reach the footpegs! :) just giving you a hard time man, I know that's not what you meant.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by lukester720+Aug 25 2004, 01:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Freerider
@Aug 25 2004, 01:13 AM
I'm 2'1" and 210 lbs and I also ride trails...
2'1" 210 pounds huh, well I'm calling BS on that one lol. At 2'1" you wouldn't be able to see over the handlebars let alone reach the footpegs! :) just giving you a hard time man, I know that's not what you meant. [/b]
thats funny, I had already read that post and did not notice it said 2 instead of 6 :lol:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If he's that short, he must be as big as a semi!!!J/K :lol:

Reminds me of a joke.
I'm not very long, but big around as a hockey puck!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Aug 25 2004, 09:55 AM
If he's that short, he must be as big as a semi!!!J/K :lol:

Reminds me of a joke.