Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
not too sure about a canondale but i think they r the fastest then yfz then 450r

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
u put it perfect

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I've had two Cannodales, a 450R, and several friends with YFZs --- we've had them all at the drag strip numerous times, both paved and dirt.

Stock for stock they are all very, very close. So close in fact, that any of them can win any given race.

They all deliver their power a little bit differently, but they all have very wide and useable powerbands.

Any of them is able to put down a crappy run as well - depending upon the rider. I've seen any of the 3 lay down some pretty ugly times.

So, as Dez said - you can't really claim any one of them as a definitive winner, they're all fast & if any one of the 3 has a better rider on it, he'll be the one winning.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Im assuming you got seat time on a yfz and u had said u owned the cannons and an r, wich bike do u like better, and where do u think they shine the most?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I like all 3.

I chose the Honda in the end mainly because of my luck with Honda products, replacement parts pricing, and interchangeability with aftermarket items I already have.

Cannondale -- good handling, good power, poor reliablity - many issues with the engine and things like tie-rod ends wearing out. Also a maintenance nightmare anytime you had to do anything to the engine. Despite what some will tell you, even the Moto needs money spent on it to be "race ready".

YFZ -- good power & handling - better rear end than the 450R, not as good front. Engine not as smooth - but that's no big deal. There are also a few reliability issues with the YFZs, but nothing major if you know what to do to fix them.

TRX -- good power & handling. Smooth power delivery, good reliability, good upgradability - not so good rear end without some work. I use mine for flat track/tt racing, sand duning, etc -- works great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I raced a 450R this weekend that had the HRC kit plus some other stuff (not sure what) and that thing smoked, especially with the fat arse that was on it (really fat)
. I think once we start tuning these bikes we are both around 50hp give or take a couple and then it comes down to rider....

Stock for stock the YFZ has about a 6hp advantage. As far as the stock for stock comparisons go...I have never really understood that argument. Who has ever owned a quad and not tried to make it go faster. Mod for mod is a better comparison. I bought the YFZ because for removing the lid, a free cam mod, stock headpipe and slipon, $100 flywheel, and proper jetting I could hit 50hp. There are alot of bikes out there that produce that (50hp) so pitting one brand against the other isn't a fair comparison....

I don't really understand the reliability urban legend that is going around about the quad...had a KFX and had more problems with that thing than you would imagine. If any bike had a prob it was the Cannondale. I swore that I would never get a first year production run again and thats why I waited for an 05. Oh and as far as the engine not being smooth...change the unbalanced stk flywheel to a balanced flywheel and it completely changes the powerband and removes all vibration. TrailTech is engineering one as we speak for the 450R.

I like the 450R and almost got one, but Honda didn't offer the financing that I wanted...oh well its about the riding, right????

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
honda gave me 6.9% apr while my bank was giving me 11% ...& I used to think the stealerships financing sucked...this was on my dads credit too b/c he cosigned for me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Aug 25 2004, 06:39 PM
honda gave me 6.9% apr while my bank was giving me 11% ...& I used to think the stealerships financing sucked...this was on my dads credit too b/c he cosigned for me.
I am a grad student finishing my thesis in Economics @ UTEP right now and I was paying $140/mo for the KFX. I got the Yamaha card and I am paying $78/mo for both the YFZ & Rappy for 2 years and then the pymt goes to about 2% of the outstanding balance which will be close to the old KFX pymt by then. Surely I will be employed in a better job by then...hopefully!!!!!!

The way I figured it was...I could dump a ton of $$$ into the KFX to perform better and have the same pymt on an 2 yr old bike....or I could lower my pymt and buy a faster quad brand new.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6hp advantage? try 1-3 PEAK. the 450r has the advantage everywhere else

·
Registered
395 Posts
Look at the numbers yourself... Top set (red line) is a YFZ with pipe, jetting, no lid and the cam mod while the bottom (blue line) is stock!

YFZ DYNO LINK >CLICK HERE<

vs the stock dyno graph you already have in the lounge with 33peak HP

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
two different dynos, two different days. if u look on gtthunders site they have a dyno between the two and the yfz has ONE hp more at PEAK. everywhere else is all the 450r. why dont u take ur yfz and urself somewhere else. we obviously know where u stand. i like the yfz,but know ur facts 1st.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Jezzzzz,

I wasn't trying to start a flame war...just checking out a site which talks about a bike that my friends ride (and who I help tune). Just posted an opinion and heaven forbid I disagree....Thanks for being another honda ahole....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by citizennobody@Aug 25 2004, 08:02 PM
Look at the numbers yourself...  Top set (red line) is a YFZ with pipe, jetting, no lid and the cam mod while the bottom (blue line) is stock!

YFZ DYNO LINK  >CLICK HERE<

vs the stock dyno graph you already have in the lounge with 33peak HP

you cant be dependent on 2 different dynos, sorry, and i dont see a stock 450r only making 33 horsepower, a 400ex makes 26 horsepower and i can really tell a difference between both quads. If you just came on here to be biased and start arguments on the yfz&450r, then we dont need you, JMO.

they are all MX quads, so i dont really see why everyone cares about top speed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you have the memory of gnat????

Did yall not read my comment that once you start tuning these bikes (without doing anything radical) we are both around 50hp and that the rider makes a big difference.

I NEVER PHAWKING SAID THAT A YFZ WAS BETTER AND I NEVER WILL...MORON.

I simply came here to find out how this fat ahole tuned his 450R so that I can do that to my friends 450R because he wasn't that good of a rider so it had to be the bike. This fat guy (at least 270lbs) beat on all of us on YFZ's, Banshees, & 450R's pretty hard (except one YFZ I tuned they were even most times depending on start & he had paddles and we were on stockers) and I am trying to figure out what he did so I can do that to the other 450R's in our group. And in case you hadn't of guessed, I am the guy they turn to for anything technical....

I have my suspicions as how he did it but he wouldn't let anyone close enough to look...I think he regeared it because he had a renthal back but he kept putting a towel hanging off the seat to cover the front. I wanted to see his airbox too and tried to get some jetting specs out of him but no dice. I know he has cams but couldn't get close enough to the motor to make a guess to whether or not the head had been off and the piston changed...

BTW, thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Take it easy Citizen - Don't let the kids get to you --- if you do, they win....

There are plenty of us here that will discuss the attributes of each quad without insulting each other -- just ignore the ones that can't handle adult conversation.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by Fender@Aug 25 2004, 11:06 PM
well here is another honest yfz owner, thanks
Thanks but I dont think it has anything to do with honesty...EGO maybe...

I just want my friends and I to win....who cares what they ride....

I don't think most people realize that in about another 2 years both our quads (YFZ & 450R) will be outdated and we will be eating someone elses roost...just ask the 2001 Raptor owners

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by citizennobody+Aug 25 2004, 11:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fender
@Aug 25 2004, 11:06 PM

well here is another honest yfz owner, thanks
Thanks but I dont think it has anything to do with honesty...EGO maybe...

I just want my friends and I to win....who cares what they ride....

I don't think most people realize that in about another 2 years both our quads (YFZ & 450R) will be outdated and we will be eating someone elses roost...just ask the 2001 Raptor owners [/b]
I dont think it will be 2 years. Try this spring when the z450 comes out. Thats going to be one fast little critter. We will just have to out handle it like we always have. Kawasaki/suzuki have always created more horsepower and torque. They have just never been able to create a frame design that stands up as good in the handling department. Although with the right suspension as Doug Gust has proved, that Z400 will flat out rail. ....we will see this spring! B)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts