Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
they should...i bought a set and put them on my 07 400...it required some minor grinding to get them to slide in

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yup they will, grind the tops a bit and bolt them up... I put some on the wifes quad.. not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if you can fit a 450 rear shock on a 400 ex

·
Registered
423 Posts
i heard they can but its super tight and then i heard they cant becuase there no place for the resiviour

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Ya ive seen guys do it. I plan on doing it to my ladies bike as soon as I get the money for some new shocks if that everr comes lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
The 450r, and the 400ex are much the same. If anything the ride height will be lower with the 450r shock. There is a lot of info on the 400ex section on atv riders (not to move people there or anything).

·
Registered
233 Posts
from what i know which could very easily be wrong. The front 450r shocks are longer then the 400ex shocks, They can be used, but are not a bolt in upgrade in stock form. They need to be reworked (re-sprung and valved) For the 400. And the rear shock won't work because of the Rezzy.
Give nick a call at Jet suspension,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have put 450R front shocks on a past 03 400ex we used to have and they bolted right up! No problems what so ever! I couldnt tell you about the rear. I know 07 450R rear shock is too long for 04 400ex. If any 450R rear shock would work it have to be a 04/05 450R.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The 450r, and the 400ex are much the same. If anything the ride height will be lower with the 450r shock. There is a lot of info on the 400ex section on atv riders (not to move people there or anything).
450 shocks on my buddies 400 made the ride height much higher.

·
Registered
500 Posts
450 shocks on my buddies 400 made the ride height much higher.
X2 ^^ The 450r shocks are a hair bit longer than 400ex. It's a little noticeable but the ride improvement is a lot better so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes they fit - but correct - they are too long and will raise the ride hieght and too stiff until they are reworked. As far as bolting on - the two places to grind ( on top of the upper eyelet - the plastic mounting nut hits the top, and the back side of the eyelet where the mounting point on the frame has a support). They come close to bolting up, but will bind throughout the travel unless this is modified. We actually use 450R shocks for more than just 400ex's - we use on raptor 125, 250, YFZ450 long travel etc...

Nick @ JET Suspension.
JET Stealth Conversion Kits

·
Banned
151 Posts
There is quite a bit of mis information here. Some is correct but some is not true.
The best way to mount these shocks in my opinion is to just take a tiny piece out of the frame mount. That way you aren't harming or grinding the shocks, the only need a little bit cut out with a drimmel and then they will slide right in. YOu don't have to shave the shock. As far as the rear shock goes, you're not gaining any performance by putting the rear 450r shock on a 400ex, they are equal in quality. The 450r linkage will lower a 400ex though and it bolts right up to the 400ex shock and swinger.

Also, these do not raise the height a noticeable amount. They will raise a little though, but they do not put any bind on the travel, i've ridden 450r shocks on 400ex's for 2 years now and they are an amazing upgrade for the price. They are stiff like the 450r shocks are no matter what, but 400ex stock shocks are like pogo sticks, they will buck your a$$ off. These shocks do not bottom out on the 400ex and the woods feel a **** of a lot better! They are great upgrade and a very noticeable one at that! I have several friends that did this mod after i did it. It's very common and very affordable, i highly recommend it!

here's a pic of my 400ex with the 450r shocks on it, this 400ex also had a 450r rear end. I put 21's on the front later on and it was much better.

right there were that ziptie is, i had to tac the fender on there. We knocked the square threaded nut out with a flat head on this 01 400ex. On my 07 400ex that i put shocks on, we were able to leave those on and grind a groove in the threaded nut so we could get the shock in. We learned the 2nd time around :)

450r rear end, swingarm back.

·
Registered
423 Posts
my front end raised about 2 inches when i put mine on

·
Registered
1 Posts
from what i know which could very easily be wrong. The front 450r shocks are longer then the 400ex shocks, They can be used, but are not a bolt in upgrade in stock form. They need to be reworked (re-sprung and valved) For the 400. And the rear shock won't work because of the Rezzy.
Give nick a call at Jet suspension,
The guy I got my 400ex off of put front and rear 450r shocks on it. The rear resivoir fits facing the motor but you'll have to delete the airbox snorkel. That's how they did it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts