Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my 450R for about a month now and its got a rattle when i rev it up. im not sure of what it is, first i thought it was the choke lever but when i hold it down and rev it up it still rattles. any clues on whats rattling? has anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
does it stop when you pull in on the clutch? if so dont worry about it, its normal. If its not that then you probably just have exhaust rattle or something..check your exhuast head bolts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 22 2004, 08:39 PM
mine has it to but its more of a ticking noise
me too. I cant quite place it but it sounds kinda odd. I got about another 4 more hours then I take it in for its first maintanance routine at the dealer so they will adjust the valves and go through it.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, its kind of a buzzing rattle, i cant explain it either. im going to check my exhaust bolts and see if that fixes it

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by ridinredodb@Jul 22 2004, 09:03 PM
yeah, its kind of a buzzing rattle, i cant explain it either. im going to check my exhaust bolts and see if that fixes it
never answered my 1st question.....does the noise stop when you pull in on the clutch?

this engine makes a odd noise, speacially when cold, but its normal...the CRF dirtbikes do it to....but the noise I am talking about stops when you pull in on the clutch....has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by ridinredodb@Jul 22 2004, 08:51 PM
ive had my 450R for about a month now and its got a rattle when i rev it up. im not sure of what it is, first i thought it was the choke lever but when i hold it down and rev it up it still rattles. any clues on whats rattling? has anybody else had this problem?
I'm not sure about Ludes case with it stopping when the clutch is pulled in...

But - you may want to check your rear brake lever. Mine isn't attatched strong in the front, so it rattles like a mofo! I want to buy a new one, but not for too much, hopefully I can find an aftermarket one for like 30 bucks or cheaper...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
no..mine is coming from the ENGINE and doesnt have anything to do with the clutch....the faster I rev the louder the tick& my shield is off

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
skid plates do cause vibrations..you may be using some long bolts & it feels like they are really tight when you tighten them up but that is just it going into the carrier...so keep tightening or get shorter bolts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would say check the skid plates and if you have nerf bars on it check those as well! I have a rattle also, but mine is coming from the AC nerf's that I have where they join just under the front motor mounts! It is annoying! All I am going to do is like I did on my Z400, is put a piece of bicycle inner tube over the bar where they join! That should help to keep it quite. If it is your skid plate just get some foam tape like they use for truck bed camper shells or something like that and put it between your skid plate and where it touchs the frame, and that should fix your rattle!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it rattles with the clutch in or out and in neutral, just when i rev it up it rattles. i checked my exhaust bolts and my skid plates, they are all tight, i thinkl ill check my rear brake like someone said. its not in the motor, its just something loose or something vibrating, not sure. is there anything on these machines known for loosening up over time? this rattle is loud and very annoying, im hopeing to find it and fix it asap.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
the main thing that loosens & rattles & falls off is the exhaust shield....get the allen wrench out & give them bolts a good tug down

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just ride it till something falls off since it's not on the motor then you'll see what was loose. If it's not on the engine it's important!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Honda had a big problem with the CCT (cam chain tensioner) in the CBR's from 01-03. It made a rattle sound that sound like bb's in a coffee can. It was always there but you could really here it in the mid rpm's. Something to consider.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine did not rattle till I rolled it
, now it makes the same noise as being stated in this post. It has been traced down to the top of engine like some thing is loose.

I will be doing a tear down soon anyhow to clean up the gear oil, doing cam work and fixing the damged part on the atv. Should I norrow the irretant noise down I will be glad to pass along.

Hope 747 and lude can understand what I have written here..lol.lol.lol
:D :D ..All in fun guys.

Cheers,

Fly

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
The CBR600 uses an oil pressure sensitive cam chain tensioner. The TRX uses a spring/screw type adjuster, way different set-up. The CBR would leak pressure past it's plunger and let the cam chain get loose, that made a very distinctive noise when the chain came loose and could easily be traced down.

Rattling inside the engine is not good typically. It means something is either wearing or damaged. And if the noise follows engine speed and gets louder as the rpm rises, you have to determine whether it follows the engine rpm or the cam rpm (full speed or half speed). Once that can be determined it's easier to figure out.

Place a screw driver against the cylinder head and your ear on the handle end of the driver, rev the engine up and down, see if the noise is louder during acceleration or deceleration. If it's louder when you first touch the throttle and during the over-run, it's most likely the small end of the connecting rod. Change the location of where you are listening from several times to see if the noise changes. Water jackets change the sound considerably.

Do the same for the bottom end. Place the driver on the engine case at the base of the cylinder. Determine whether the noise is louder than the one on the cylinder head. Rev it up and down. Change locations. If it follows engine rpm and gets louder as the rpm rises and is louder on the engine cases, it's the dig end of the rod or a main bearing. I've also seen primary drive/driven gears do this too but, mostly on 4 cylinder bikes that have broken clutch baskets.

Tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok just try going over every bolt on your bike and give er' a quick turn, lol. JK...... My kick starter use to make a little rattling because it got loose and you could hear it rattle with the motors increasing RPM but now that i tightened her up there no rattle.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Nice tech tip Ticeman! Also the cam installation article in Dirtwheels was very good, keep up the good work!

My engine sounds the same as it did when I 1st broke it in with the exception of putting a pipe on which made the engine noise quiter. These new 4 stroke engines are using lighter materials such as magnesium and aluminum(more now than in the past) which couldn't possibly deaden the sound of an engine the way the older heavier materials did. IMO just ride them until they die, if its hondas fault that you motor craps out i'm sure they will make it right but if you've been giving it the proper maintence I doubt you have much to worry about. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts