Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how you guys that ride sand dunes set up your bikes. Besides the obvious (paddles) what do you guys run? Is a 13 tooth sprocket a good idea? How about the HRC kit?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i dont ride dunes but i know that a 13 tooth is almost a must for a bike with the HRC kit so u can get ur bottom end back. stock you should get it also cus if not you will bog down going up hills with those long gears

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Danny, you can go two routes with the sprocket. Either drop the front or add a few teeth to the rear. It takes less power to run the stock front with a aftermarket rear. 12t front with a 41 or 42 may be the ticket after reading one of Rico's posts. The HRC cam will work but you may consider others if you want to do Hill Shoots, or unless you have a hi comp piston. In Oregon alot of the hills dont give you alot of room to get to the topend of your motor where the HRC cam shines IMO. What ever you do do not get any V paddles, they wont do anything for ya. I recommend Haulers or extreme haulers. Also adjust your suspension, there can be alot of whoops in the dunes. Any exhaust will be an improvement over stock and will help you alot to power through some of the soft sand. Also alot of people remove their skidplates to avoid getting stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Danny,
I ride strictly sand.
First things first:
Get new a arms and shocks, and at least a axle for the back. The width and improved suspension, makes the largest difference by far, of any of the mods I have done. Other that that:
I run 14/39(one tooth larger in back). I run a 20x10x10 7 paddle haulers. Not a hillshooter tire, but the best all around tire, for fun riding. If you want to win hillshooting, go with a 22". I highly recommend the FCR carb. It makes is so much funner to ride. I am running a DS650 intake and filter, no airbox. It helps alot with air flow. I have made a nice aluminum bracket and it mounts to the old airbox holes. I run the HRC cam, and am currently trying to decide if I want to stroke the crank or just go with a big bore.
I have tried many different tires, sprockets, tire pressures, widths, and I am pretty confident that I have mine set up exactly how I want it. You might be different, but I bet you find you like some of the settings I am running.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by Speedbump@Oct 5 2004, 01:03 PM
Danny, you can go two routes with the sprocket. Either drop the front or add a few teeth to the rear. It takes less power to run the stock front with a aftermarket rear. 12t front with a 41 or 42 may be the ticket after reading one of Rico's posts. The HRC cam will work but you may consider others if you want to do Hill Shoots, or unless you have a hi comp piston. In Oregon alot of the hills dont give you alot of room to get to the topend of your motor where the HRC cam shines IMO. What ever you do do not get any V paddles, they wont do anything for ya. I recommend Haulers or extreme haulers. Also adjust your suspension, there can be alot of whoops in the dunes. Any exhaust will be an improvement over stock and will help you alot to power through some of the soft sand. Also alot of people remove their skidplates to avoid getting stuck.
It really matters on what kind of riding you do, I live twenty minutes away from Glamis, Buttercups. The 13 t I definatly recommend unless you have lots of mods, that is what I use, but my brother uses the stock gearing and does well to, he also weighs 40 lbs less than me, I am about 175.

Now about what speedbump said, haulers are great for dragging up the hill and that is it, I have owned lots of haulers, and I loved them, but they suck for duning, they will pull you straight ahead and fast, you cant turn is what I am saying, I tried for the first time a v paddle and I love it you can slide them out easy, turn easy and shred bowls really easy, I have Sand stars 20-11-8 and they do great for dragging as well.

I think it was dirt wheels, that had paddle shoot out, and sand star got the best all around sand tire, hauler got best rating for dragging etc

Pretty much choose your application

Just my expierence

Jason

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Everything said here is pretty much true.... You must first decide what type of sand riding you want????????

If it's just for fun then 13t with sand sharks or whatever v-shape tire you want.....

If you want to beat everyone. Then you need allot more power. Which is to go with the 12t and 41t or 42t. Then you will need full exhaust,high compression piston.Maybe head work and the proper jetting with the HRC kit minus stock exhaust. Then that babie will ripppppppppppppp!!!! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not into racing the hill for more than 15 minutes, I get bored. Fast rides through the dunes, carving bowls, wheelies etc. is what I like to do. I'm not looking to have the fastest bike just the funnest to ride. Thanks for the great advice guys.

·
Registered
810 Posts
On my bike I have the yosh exhaust, sparks cam, air filter, jetkit, and FST 500cc kit. I run 20/10/10 8 paddle haulers with the stock gears. I weigh about 240lbs and I found this combo ideal. I could start at the bottom of the hills at silverlake in 2nd gear and keep shifting on the way up.
I was impressed with how my combination actually worked in the dunes. Last spring I ran the HRC endcap, sparks cam, filter and jetkit with the same gears and paddles. It worked out good, just had to shift alittle more(and start in 1st gear in the drags).
It seems everyone has their own combo that works best for them. On the first day of our trip I think I would have been better off with 10 paddles but on the second day the 8 paddles worked the best for me.
I think to truely help you out we need to know your current mods, weight, paddles(size& # of paddles) and where you're riding at. What works best on the west coast may not be the most ideal in silverlake, little sahara or St. anthony's. Fill us in and I think we can help you. :D

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
The 7 paddle haulers turn and slide as well as a v blade 8. 8 paddle haulers hook up straight, and not very well for turning. I have both. V baldes are not my favorite at all. I have had all the molded tires, adn Edges, asn I don;t even like the edges that much. Not enough hook up. Thats why I run 7 paddle haulers, on wide rims.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I ride 100% sand and run nearly the same set-up as KGB. The only differances are I run an esr airbox eliminater with the fcr and 20x11-8 eight paddle haulers. Everything he said is right on, believe me between the two of us we have tried a lot of gear and tire set-ups. By far the best thing I've done is the Walsh savior/swing arm and axis rear shock. I also have walsh long travel +3' a-arms w/axis and a lsr +4 axle. This is by far the best riding quad I have ever owned! It is a fantastic sand set-up for the riding I do which sounds simillar to what you say you like.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Oct 5 2004, 02:41 PM
Danny,
I ride strictly sand.
First things first:
Get new a arms and shocks, and at least a axle for the back. The width and improved suspension, makes the largest difference by far, of any of the mods I have done. Other that that:
I run 14/39(one tooth larger in back). I run a 20x10x10 7 paddle haulers. Not a hillshooter tire, but the best all around tire, for fun riding. If you want to win hillshooting, go with a 22". I highly recommend the FCR carb. It makes is so much funner to ride. I am running a DS650 intake and filter, no airbox. It helps alot with air flow. I have made a nice aluminum bracket and it mounts to the old airbox holes. I run the HRC cam, and am currently trying to decide if I want to stroke the crank or just go with a big bore.
I have tried many different tires, sprockets, tire pressures, widths, and I am pretty confident that I have mine set up exactly how I want it. You might be different, but I bet you find you like some of the settings I am running.
kgb, did you have to lengthen the chain to use the 39 tooth sprocket? i run a 13 tooth counter,hrc kit w/185 jet and duncan pipe and a vortex cdi. the 13 tooth does good on the hills but i think it may be a little too low i raced trxjwb and his brother and they pull out in front of me right off the line about 3 bike lengths, we switched bikes thinking it was a weight issue but the race was still the same im thinking the sparks aggresive cam may be a little better than the hrc for hill racing. so i put the stock 14 tooth back on but it will bog down a little in 3rd going up hill so i was thinking about getting a bigger sprocket in the rear to make it be in between 13/14 tooth

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by trx450Rrider@Oct 5 2004, 12:56 PM
i dont ride dunes but i know that a 13 tooth is almost a must for a bike with the HRC kit so u can get ur bottom end back. stock you should get it also cus if not you will bog down going up hills with those long gears
Sprocketing down is for trail riding. I love stock gearing for the dunes let her rip. On my old 400EX I always started off in second in the sand. The HRC kit also opens up the top end which is where dune power is. HRC, and pipe and you should rip up the sand. I soften the front shocks for sand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you mess with the rear shock at all? Do you set the fronts at the softest setting?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Oct 5 2004, 05:04 PM
.......... 8 paddle haulers hook up straight, and not very well for turning...........
I hear this quite a bit from people and I just want to state that 8 paddle haulers can be used for carving and sliding (see example below :D ). I'm not saying KGB is wrong, just pointing out that it's not impossible to have some carving fun with them, you just gotta learn how to shake your tailfeather if you know what I mean. For me, I not willing to give up the ultimate hook up and acceleration that the straight blades give. However, if you are concerned with the sliding ability of the straights, I'd have to say that the Sand Stars are the best v-blade out right now. My nephew has them on his R and I was really impressed with how they perform.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Bad Habit, Danny,To, be more clear, I HATE V BLADES, and I have found that I prefer 7 paddle haulers to 8's because they slide better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One other thing I haven't seen brought up yet is tire profile.

I run Skat-Trak straight blade 8 paddle haulers. I've used 20x10x10 and 21x12x8. My brother has 22x11x8's on his 450R. Right now, we both prefer the large 21 and 22" tires since they give more ground clearance in rutted out hillclimbs that can be found in the Oregon dunes. The x8 tires definitely don't slide as well due to their increased sidewall height, but they sure hook up great and give a comfortable ride. If you're into sliding, I would recommend a x10 tire with a low sidewall profile. I have no problems getting sideways on 20x10x10 8 paddle haulers.

Just my .02 -

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Originally posted by KGB@Oct 16 2004, 10:47 AM
Bad Habit, Danny,To,  be more clear, I HATE V BLADES, and I have found that I prefer 7 paddle haulers to 8's because they slide better.
OK, I'm with ya. I've never tried 7 blade haulers, but I believe your feelings that they would slide better than 8s. I have tried 9 paddle haulers, and while they were great for straight line acceleration, well, they were great for straight line acceleration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts