Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got my 450r last saturday and only rode 3 times and noticed what appeared to be a stress crack right above the chain guard. the quad has never thrown the chain either.
the service rep said it is probably just a casting mark but to bring it in and they will figure what it is and if it is cracked they will obviously replace it.
p.s. will they replace a bent grab bar. i was practicing willies and stood it up and my damn grab bar bent and cacked in one place. i really wish they would have went with a steel subframe. has anyone else seen anything like this with the case ?
have any of you bent your grab bar yet ?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
that just looks like a rock or something scraped it....as for your grabbar..look on ebay, you can get them real cheap..mine also bent really easy the first time & nowi m looking for a replacemnt but not one thats too strong or my subframe will bend

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
thats right jumbo and r u giving it gas when u r starting cus that will crack it just to let u know dont ever give it gas when starting

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope dont give it gas when starting.
i have heard this alot and im not going to do it but i find it to be crazy that honda would make a quad thats gonna crack a case if you apply some throttle while starting it... but likie i said no throttle for me !
im getting mixed opinions on whether its casting or cracked. im definitley gonna have it checked out. im starting to wonder if this is a delicate quad haha j/k
p.s. if i gave iot gas while starting and it did crack like i heard is possible wouldnt it be the top end and not the bottom. the pic i have posted is the tranny case. just in case i zoomed in too much

·
Registered
36 Posts
casting or oil would be all over. when you see oil, take it in for warranty. now go ride it till it breaks. its a machine. chill out. just my thoughts!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im not too worried about it because im going to get the extended warranty.
even though the tech is new to this quad i would imagaine (but im not sure) that if you can swap a case half on one quad you can do it on just about any, especially if your a certified mechaninc for a reputable dealer ( the dealer i got mine off of is very large and has a great reputation)
but anyhow, im not too worried about it,. i'll take it in monday and if they say it needs changed thats fine. if they say its ok then i'll get a written reciept saying it wasachecked and ok. that way if it starts leaking after warranty i'l;l have proof that it was indeed a problem i noticed and im sure they will fix it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
IMO that is the wrong place for a crack if your giving it gas on start up. I have seen 3 cases cracked due to this and it was right next to the kick starter. You will know if you cracked it due to this.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what the hell causes it to crack because one gives it gas on start up . can someone please explain this to me, and if it did crack wouldn't it be on the top end and not the tranny area?
dang technical stuff makes my head hurt !!!!
I am taking it in monday for the check up, I have a feeling they will change it if i act really stressed about it, but like desert said (even though im confident in these guys abilities) i hate like heck to have my cases ripped in half on a 6 day old quad. maybe they just give me a new one hahahaha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes I bent my stock grab bar the third time I set it back and unfortunately my LED light broke along with it... my best suggestion is to go to PRM and by one... we have 7 4 wheelers and have yet to bend the one that is around 30 bucks... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by 450r pimp@Aug 7 2004, 04:28 PM
Yes I bent my stock grab bar the third time I set it back and unfortunately my LED light broke along with it... my best suggestion is to go to PRM and by one... we have 7 4 wheelers and have yet to bend the one that is around 30 bucks... just my 2 cents
cool...just went to that website & bought one..it was like $37 shipped to my door...i hope it doesnt bend my subframe though

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have had our PRM's since around May and just today noticed that one of them was slightly bent, but a lot of use still left in it and it has been through hell... they have not bent any of our subframes yet though

·
Registered
52 Posts
I WENT BACK ON MY NEW PRM DESERT BAR 3 TIMES THIS WEEKEND AND IT HELD UP AWESOME NO BENDS SO FAR HOPEFULLY SHE HOLDS UP..... GREAT PRODUCT IMO. ANYWAY HOW MUCH IS EVERYONE PAYING FOR EXTENDED WARRANTIES??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts