Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a new 450R commercial during the olympics... Wasn't paying attention until I heard "It won the toughest race in the world - the Baja 1000" - as I looked to the Television to see what they were talking about I saw a quad going thru a whoops section & they started talking about the stadium quad series..

Pretty cool that Honda's advertising mainstream - the only other time I've ever seen a quad advertisement was during some sort of motorsports show, like Supercross or Outdoor MX.

Hopefully that means they're somewhat serious about things & will continue development on a yearly basis. I've heard rumors that big improvements are in store for both Yam and Hon for 2006- Suz will also be entering the market as well.....

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
please let them use the xr650 engine in a quad frame..if this happens say goodbye 450r & hello my new factory dream quad

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
dam i hope they dont change a thing cus then i am gonna have to buy another 450r <_<

also where did you hear this?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't put your bets on an XR650 quad. Even if they did it - don't expect it to put out more power than a 450R - nor have the same delivery or weight.

The 2006 rumors are just that - rumors. However, I've heard from what I consider to be good inside sources & I think the companies are getting competitive enough that we'll see changes far more often than seen since the mid/late 80's.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
yea, I seen that commercial too, it was pretty cool to see that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unfortunately, I dont think their marketing department is going to do that. Too volatile still in the Sport quad market.

XC650 motor in a quad? Way too heavy!! WHy do that when the 450R already won the Baja 1000?

PLus would you buy a new 450R in 2006 when they just changed it in 2 years? Don't think it will happen, maybe in 4 yrs. Unless they're just looking to make money.

You can see the trends even with Yamaha, they aren't offering new frames or engines, same stuff, just diversifying by having different colors and such, LE models, etc. Honda is going to do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PLus would you buy a new 450R in 2006 when they just changed it in 2 years? Don't think it will happen, maybe in 4 yrs. Unless they're just looking to make money.[/b]
Absolutely, especially if it had significant improvements.

Dirtbikes are improved every year - I know too many people to count that buy a new bike every year.

The sport/race quad market is hot & competitive. Yamaha has been selling boatloads of YFZs. You can bet Honda is not enjoying their sales numbers

You can see the trends even with Yamaha, they aren't offering new frames or engines, same stuff, just diversifying by having different colors and such, LE models, etc. Honda is going to do the same thing.[/b]
Actually, Yamaha made several small improvements to the YFZ for 2005.

You can't expect a new frame or new engine every year - but you can expect them to fix serious issues (like the 450R's rear suspension compared to the YFZ) and improve the product every year.

This was occurring in the late 80's when competition was fierce. Right now, sport quads are more popular than ever, there's no reason to not suspect that they will compete with each other, especially when there's a big discrepency in sales numbers. Honda won't allow themselves to be number two for long, they've got far too many resources to allow their competition to walk on them.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Yamaha is coming out with a xc edition yfz with oversized tank and all kinds of stuff and suzuki is coming out will a doug gust replica that is 50hp, elkas, roll design and all kinds of stuff so I hope honda decides to follow suit.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by lukester720@Aug 25 2004, 01:52 PM
Yamaha is coming out with a xc edition yfz with oversized tank and all kinds of stuff and suzuki is coming out will a doug gust replica that is 50hp, elkas, roll design and all kinds of stuff so I hope honda decides to follow suit.
Honda might, but I don't think they would try to put out another race quad though. That would mean they would lose sales for the 450R. It's hard to predict what Honda will really do since they know there at the head of the pack and they like to take there sweet time about putting special things out until someone else touches the unknown territory. The 450R is a big hit and I think we will see more and more at the race track. I'm sure Suzuki and Kawasaki will be coming out with there 450 soon, but no matter what I would still buy a Honda!! :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yamaha is coming out with a xc edition yfz with oversized tank and all kinds of stuff and suzuki is coming out will a doug gust replica that is 50hp, elkas, roll design and all kinds of stuff so I hope honda decides to follow suit.[/b]

I too have heard these Rumors. I find it very hard to belive, Will they make one that is 50 inches wide, with possibly there own long travel suspension. Quite possibly. But I doubt they will use American products to build their stuff, when they can mimic that stuff for almost Pennies Literally.

But One can only hope.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
im sure they will use the cheaper products & imitate it to look like high uality & charge out the a$$ for it & rip you off when yo uthink your'e getting a good deal.. but then again i'd hate to see what they charge for the high quality products

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
They may be just Rumors or whatever but they do have a little write-up about each in the september 2004 ATV Action mag. The yamaha is on page 10 among other yamaha factory quads and the suzuki is on page 19 where it describes the quad. The yamaha is said to cost just a little under 2000 dollars more than stock and for the suzuki no price has yet been set. P) Don't shoot the messanger! :lol:

·
Registered
315 Posts
BANG!!! ??????

·
Registered
133 Posts
The suzuki doug gust bike is just one big rumor!!!!! It all started at loretta's with people saying that gust will be riding something new and "special" Well that something new and special was just a black, gold, and yellow z400. I'm not sure where that yamaha rumor has came from. But i do know for a fact about the honda program. Throught my dealing with Baldwin an PEP this season I have learned alot about the 450r and the way honda is taking their approach to the racing scene. I too have seen the commercial with farr ripping it up on the track. Wayne Moordrian owner of PEP Suspention has developed a new linkage knuckle for the 450r that is wayyyyy better than the walsh settup, I know i've ridden both. Unfortantly the linkage is one of a kind, I offered Mark and Wayne a considerable ammount on $ for the linkage but they refused. They would of made me one but it's because of honda they can't. See Farr has been testing with Honda all summer, ya he's gotten to practice, but he hasn't been able to train for endurance. There is actually a dispute about who gets the bikes, honda wants to take them back to japan and inspect them and mark wants to do the same thing. Right not honda in more focused on getting thier machine in top form. Also the linkage i was telling you about will be available as part of the HRC kit for 2006. Well that's all i can say for now.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I think the yamaha is already done, I guess you will have to see the write-up in the mag with pictures
The suzuki is called the DGR(Doug Gust Replica) Z450, They had one of these replicas on display at the Suzuki dealer show. I did hear about what you were saying too about the suzuki.

Hey keep us posted on what they do with Tim's 450's, I would like to know. Oh yea, keep us up on the linkage too or any other cool stuff you may hear for that matter! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
will do.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Thanks for the inside info guys! I love hearing this stuff :D

This truely is the best it has ever gotten in the sport quad market. The big companies are starting to realize that we want performance, not just the cheapest quad they can put together to make a profit. I just hope that Honda, Yammi, and Suzuki step up and follow through with these plans!

·
Registered
187 Posts
:ph34r: I don't care what they say honda are and always will be tops ,sure they will fall behind for a while but when they come back like with the TRX 450R then anyone else beware. I love my 450 r its great and I am a 150kg heavy weight but the bike pull like a mule and as we all used to handles better than anything in the bussiness.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Welcome to the site man! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts