Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen or heard of these big bore kits before? They are located about 45mins away from me. I talked to several places sparks,gtthunder and they say their big bore kits are still in development. I'm curious about these guys because they are so close....
http://www.maxpower-engines.com/bb-atv.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only company I know of offering a big bore kit right now is nmotion. It is a completely new cylinder, casted, with nickle sealed cylinder. Kit comes with the cylinder, no core charge, pistons, rings and gaskets. Bolted on it makes it a 520cc. check it out www.nmotiontechnology.com

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
From what I've heard FST sells a very affordable 500cc kit - cost is about 1/2 what nmotion wants. There's a guy here on the board that has one.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Nmotion offers a new cylinder (520). The stock is able to be bored once past the 500cc of FST. It is a rebore/plate, and new piston. NMotion also requires case maodifications. Nate told me you can do it without splitting the case, by taping and vacuuming, but thats not for me. If I have to machine the cases, I am splitting them open, and if I am splitting the cases, I am putting in a new crank (stroked). The stroker cranks and aftermarket cylinders are not tested and I am not being a guiney pig again.
I am going stock bore higher comp, good head work, new ignition, and try a few cams. I will be doing a cam "dyno shootout" it will be in about a month, on my worked head.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Remember that when considering a bore like FST's setup, it's not like the 400EX where you have to worry about what bores you will be left with.

With a Nikasil plated bore you practically never have to worry about boring again due to wear - unless something really bad happens (where you would have to replace the jug anyways). Even if so, you just buy a new cylinder <$150.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
That's what I did. Bought a new cylinder and sent it to them. Now I have 2 set ups. Stock bore w/ stock or 13.8:1 piston, and 99mm bore and 12:1 piston. Get an extra set of stock gaskets, incase you want to change back if something happens. The FST kit doesn't come with the cylinder base gasket (stock), so you'll have to buy that anyway.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the fst 500 kit today. He said it should be here in a couple weeks. Going to silverlake at the end of next month and I want to surprise a few people. 29ftex, what jetting are you running with the kit and whats your elevation? Any comments ? Good , better, great?????

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Originally posted by tuffguy@Aug 25 2004, 06:31 PM
I ordered the fst 500 kit today. He said it should be here in a couple weeks. Going to silverlake at the end of next month and I want to surprise a few people. 29ftex, what jetting are you running with the kit and whats your elevation? Any comments ? Good , better, great?????
Right now I have a 195 main running 50/50 (113 octane race fuel/pump gas), air screw 2½ turns out @ ~400 ft elevation. Excellent increase for the amount of $ spent. If he said 2 weeks, it will be 2 weeks. Check all of the rings (including the oil expander ring) for the ring gap. The oil exspander ring I got 3 weeks ago was way out, and smoked terribly bad. I got a new set of rings within days of telling Mickey.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I know a guy who has an '88 ESR 330R. I went to his house, but there wasn't any place to take off on dirt. We tried to launch on pavement, but both of us couldn't keep the front end down. We did a rolling second gear start and I pulled him pretty good. He was only able to get even or pass me topped out. I was a little lean on top, and didn't want to burn it up. A new jet will be here at the end of the week. His fenders are cut, mine aren't. He is geared one tooth up (front) and one down (rear) from the factory set up. I'm stock geared. So, he had the top end advantage. When I get my CDI, he won't be a problem.
It's definitely a quick bike now, and awesome. Like I said before, if anyone is from Arkansas or anyone going to Little Sahara, OK in the next few months is reading this, the kit sucks and isn't worth the time or money. :D :D :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
where can i order a fst? i have done about a million searches and can't find anything.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
lawless call FST, they dont have a web site. In addition to all the parts you red about they also have a cam, made by web but to MD's specs. Yesterday MD said everything OTD would be about 600-650.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Originally posted by lawless450r@Sep 1 2004, 04:49 PM
where can i order a fst? i have done about a million searches and can't find anything.
FST... call 814-842-6159 between 4-7 est.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts