Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been thinking about upgrading my stock 05 carb for a fcr carb. i have read alot about them and they seem like they would be a nice upgrade.

i have decided that if i do get one that i want to have it taper bored to a 43mm. can you taper bore all of the crf/trx fcr carbs to a 43 mm or is that just certain ones?

everyone says that the 07 is the best fcr but i just hate to pay an arm and a leg for one. i seen one it was new and bored and had all the bells and whistles and it was like 7 or 8 hundred dollars. "thats crazy" i would rather upgrade my suspension for that type of money.

also i have noticed alot of people using the yfz carb (39mm). i have seen some of those going for a decent price. but like i stated before if i went that route can i have it taper bored to a 43mm?

pretty much the reason for all of the quesions is that in the near future i'm hoping to do some engine work and i'm wanting to get to the mid to high 50 hp range. i want all of my parts to work as a team if you know what i mean.

do you think i will be close with the following mods
14 to 1 piston or higher
port and flow
oversized valves probably +1 exhaust
web cams either 493 or the 208
taperbored fcr
fuel custom intake

i know that the web cams are more maintence but i stay up on it pretty well. people that i have spoken with sayed that a webs cam would be a night and day diffrence compared to my hc 2. i got to thinking that a hc 2 is a drop in and the webcams has to have specfic upgrades to make it work,so would that make the webs more a race type setup? hopefully you understand what i'm getting at.

thanks guys for all the help.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Just get a yfz carb and have it bored it can be done to almost anysize, and u can wire the TPS and still have hot start, thats probally the cheapest route

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
im not sure on the exchange information on the fcr's. i think on the stock insert the largest you can go is 42.5mm. you can get good carb boring done for 150.

mid 50's wont be a problem with those mods, at all.. asuuming you get good, quality port work.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
if i was to put an fcr id get the yfz one, it can get the hotstart on there and the wiring is easy to do.

you can pick one up for around 150-200 and have it bored.
for about 400-500 you can have yourself a nice carb.

for 700-800, you can get major engine work done or suspension like you said.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
if it were me i would do the suspenision before i would worry about the carb or most of your list for that matter.

your list of parts should make a real good combo, just let who ever you have do the head know what parts you plan to run.

the fcr from the yfz is a good choice it fits fine and can be found pretty cheep, but serdrum says the stock center ring can only go to 42mm. after that the price more then doubles (125 to about 325). one builder told me that the crf carbs are easier to tune, but i dont know why or if its just his experence.

as for the 07 carb you mentioned, what is the 07 coming off of? if its a trx then i would reccomend something else. the stock 06/07 trx carbs dont clear the tank on the 05s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts