Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to do valves on a ‘07 400ex and have some questions. I don’t think this motor has ever been touched And started smoking pretty good a couple of weeks ago. Tore it down this last week and the head, valves and plug were gunned up with oil. The piston and cylinder look beautiful without a single scratch. Since I don’t believe it has ever been Touched, I’m probably just going to have the valves done anyways, since it is apart and old. so here are my questions, if I use Kibblewhite valves, springs, etc., do I need to have the rockers hardened or are they good the way they are? Is there another high quality option than Kibblewhite that is more cost effective? I found a kit with everything for about $220, which seems to be a fairly decent price. The boy has been pretty happy with the power it has so far, so I’m not planning on any other changes now, but is there anything that I can or should do to the valve train now without a ton of added cost, that would perform great, but would save having to do the valves again if we decide to go to a high compression piston or big bore kit? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I know you said you got an answer, but I'll tell you my input. Aside from bent valves I don't think I have ever had to replace 400 valves, they are just a lot more durable than the 450 set ups. I have seen some rockers worn so look them over good. If you are just going back stock I wouldn't be to concerned with aftermarket springs or hardening rockers and I wouldn't do either until I went to a bigger cam. I would check the bore good and the guides for wear. Seems like a lot of valve companies out there now but unless I was going bigger or for performance I would look at stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts