Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Trx 450er and I’m trying to figure out what is the best trail build. I want to know the best brands and parts that y’all would go with. Everything from suspension and tires to internal engine mods if you think that it’s necessary on a trail bike. No price limit. Remember this is for a trail build! By all means I’m not building a race bike! Thanks y’all

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly I would sell the 450 and get a nice 400ex and do a full exhaust and a cam, and upgrade suspension and you will have a bike that will have a little less power but still lots of power and more low end torque for a trail bike. And on top of that a 450 needs lots of attention, a 400ex will run forever if you change the oil. Just my opinion, and probably a little bias since I have a 400ex, but I love the heck out of it its never let me down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I would sell the 450 and get a nice 400ex and do a full exhaust and a cam, and upgrade suspension and you will have a bike that will have a little less power but still lots of power and more low end torque for a trail bike. And on top of that a 450 needs lots of attention, a 400ex will run forever if you change the oil. Just my opinion, and probably a little bias since I have a 400ex, but I love the heck out of it its never let me down.
Yeah dude I 100% know what your talking about. I grew up on a Suzuki 400 and my dad had a 400ex but he built his to a 440. I rode his 400 just as much as I did mine. The only thing is that we do a lot of fast trail riding and don’t get me wrong I know the 400 would do just fine I just got a 450 because I got so used to the 400 power I needed a step up from the 400.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah dude I 100% know what your talking about. I grew up on a Suzuki 400 and my dad had a 400ex but he built his to a 440. I rode his 400 just as much as I did mine. The only thing is that we do a lot of fast trail riding and don’t get me wrong I know the 400 would do just fine I just got a 450 because I got so used to the 400 power I needed a step up from the 400.
I've ridden my friends yfz before and I like the snappy power, and i think about getting a 450 all the time, but when it all comes down to it, I can go up all the same steep stuff as the 450s can at the dunes, just a little slower, I've actually had to go around 450s before on steep hills because it seems like nobody knows how to ride sport 4 wheelers to their full potential anymore. But I know what you mean, whenever I'm racing around going fast on the trails on my property with my friend on his yfz and we both are going fast and have to slow down to almost a stop to go around a tight corner and then punch it to get back to speed before the next corner, that's where the 400 and 450 difference really sticks out like a sore thumb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ridden my friends yfz before and I like the snappy power, and i think about getting a 450 all the time, but when it all comes down to it, I can go up all the same steep stuff as the 450s can at the dunes, just a little slower, I've actually had to go around 450s before on steep hills because it seems like nobody knows how to ride sport 4 wheelers to their full potential anymore. But I know what you mean, whenever I'm racing around going fast on the trails on my property with my friend on his yfz and we both are going fast and have to slow down to almost a stop to go around a tight corner and then punch it to get back to speed before the next corner, that's where the 400 and 450 difference really sticks out like a sore thumb
Yeah man that’s true. I love the 450’s snappy power 🤙🏼

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah man that’s true. I love the 450’s snappy power 🤙🏼
We sorry I'm not really any help to your original question. I have kenda dominator tires and really like them, the look good, they arent too expensive, they hook up really good in a straight line, but you can still slide with them, I tried maxxis razor 2's once and didnt like them because they wouldn't slide around, they offered full traction around corners, and I didnt really like that

·
Registered
37 Posts
First I would upgrade suspension monster performance will get you where you need to be and not break the bank also could go to a preferred guy but a revalve is a must, next would be air box mod and rejet, make a lid or get a nice one to open it up don’t remove it you will loose bottom end and throttle response for top end wide open throttle, after that stage 2 cam is better if you like Revving out if not stage 1 was amazing for me. Next I run 22 inch razr 2s or somthing close we get a lot of mud here but I always like to gear down a little more friendly in trails. After that a nice dasa or hmf full exhaust will get you more power. Next a nice port and polish will do miracles in the trail. Next this kinda should be up top but use a coolant additive like royal purple purple ice helps keep it slightly cooler. Always a good idea to get a full skid guard just for peace of mind.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,555 Posts
Personally I would NOT recommend monster performance for suspension, I was completely unimpressed by Ian and his work and all my shocks after I got them back from him.

if you say money isn’t an issue, I would go with Teixeira LT maximum ground clearance arms with Motowoz shocks. this is going to be more than what you need, but having a stronger arm with more ground clearance and a nice shock built for you is going to make the front and feel a lot better on the trails. The rear suspension should just need a re-valve and a respring with a different XC shock linkage and you should be good to go.

For trail riding I really like Hiper wheels. I have smashed my wheels on so many rocks at high-speed on the trails and blown tires and the wheels won’t bend and if you do get a flat the beadlocks will keep the tire on until you make it either back to camp or somewhere that you can fix your tire. then find a good set a tires that you like. For me, 22 inch tires are too tall in the rear, but depending on the trails you ride that might be better. I ran ITP Holeshot HD tires for quite a while and they were the gnarliest tires for really rocky jagged trails. Otherwise ITP GNCC tires work great both front and rear for fast trails that aren’t super crazy rocky.

once you get your tires dialed in, then you can mess with your gearing a little bit if you feel you need more low-end pull to come out of the corners faster. I like RK EXW chains and Supersprox and Dirt Tricks sprockets.

As far as the motor, that really depends on what you feel you need. Many times a stock motor is more than enough on tight technical trails. But some trails will open up quite a bit and you want more power. As mentioned, stage two cam will make more power, but that’s going to be more top and oriented, especially on your year of quad. There are a lot better cams from WebCams that would work for your application. As far as losing power and throttle response by removing the airbox lid that is not the case. You will not lose throttle response by removing your airbox lid. It will be louder and you will have to reject for it though.

what it all comes down to is building a quad isn’t just a matter of throwing the best parts at it and making it awesome. You need to think about what you want to be better, or what doesn’t work well for you. Personally I like my handlebars taller so a +2 steering stem is important to me. Some guys really want Nerf bars because it’s muddy and their feet slip off the pegs a lot. Some guys ride Rocky and rutted trails and are sliding over a lot of obstacles, and so for them a nice poly skid plate is a must. Others ride at night a lot, so good set of LED lights is important. Think about what you want to change next time you ride and then work on that aspect of it until you get it dialed in. That’s the fun of building a quad.

·
Truck Yea
5,680 Posts
Im with Hoser.

A good set of shocks is a must, I went a bit cheap and got the old elka stage 3's but like them quite a bit. The engine imho on any year needs to be hopped up. I prefer hard hitting power of at least a cam and gear change-but really like a big bore or stroker. A mild 470 kit is more than enough imho. I went 490 and it was awesome till my timing chain jumped and it blew up.

The most important thing about trails is proper suspension. if its not correct or dialed in properly you will be miserable. to piggy back on that i REALLY love my flex bars and a +1 stem. wider arms are a must, I have +1 arms but slightly more offset wheels. Tires are needed, throw the stockers away if you still are running them. I prefer ITP GNCC or maxxis razr/razr2 (gbc or sunf equivalent work too). They have good grip for almost all conditions. I run 21" front and 20" rears, but 22" fronts do help a bit. My preferred tire setup is 20" gncc rears and 21" maxxis razxr2 fronts. the fronts I like due to the directional tread and how heavy duty the tires are. I run alum wheels that ITP used to make and they are very tough. it can be a bit rocky here, but I dont like the hiper wheels cause the dang things often seize the screws that hold the bead locks in.

Its all about choice, how much money you wanna spend, where you ride and how hard you ride. Im a trail and dune guy, so my setup is geared to make optimal power at all times when possible as you may need it to carve a dune or nail an obstacle at speed. but I have it set to be nimble enough down low to crawl if i gotta

Reactions: hoser
1 - 9 of 9 Posts