Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rev limiter hits way to early. I was told I needed a new cdi box so before I went and bought a new one I put a stock one on and see what happened. Rev limiter is still the same. Then I was told I needed a stage 3 cdi. I have an Hmf pipe and from what I know the jetting was tweaked. Would the stock cdi still not work with those modifications? Would the stage 3 cdi fix my problem?

·
Truck Yea
5,502 Posts
its not the cdi, its likely a jetting issue.

if you have an 04-05 an exhaust and open air box 180-185 main jet, 06+ 160-162 main jet. Also if the motor has work done to it, it will rev up much faster and you can generally fix that with gearing.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,308 Posts
Exactly, it is not the CDI, or more correctly, the ICM.

if you are hitting a false rev limit you are likely too rich on your main jetting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Also I was looking at some cdi’s and aren’t you able to program it to match the jetting?

·
Truck Yea
5,502 Posts
Thanks for the info. Also I was looking at some cdi’s and aren’t you able to program it to match the jetting?
No, you can buy a programmable CDI with several different curves, but since this is a carburetorated bike you can tune it really liek say a power commander does on a fuel injected bike. Your issue lies with jetting, take the bottom of the carb off and see what jets it has. Take pics as well and report back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. When I bought the bike the guy told me it is very easy to flood so the carb is probably the issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts