Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, seems like either my starter clutch or reduction gear is on its way out. Engine is not turning over sometimes while the starter is engaged, and is making the same noises as most videos. I'm just wondering how do I tell if its the starter clutch or reduction gear causing the problem? It seems like they both cause the exact same problem, or should I just replace both things since I'll be in there?

·
Registered
412 Posts
A lot of the times if it's the starter clutch (One Way Bearing) it will sound like a metallic clunk and (almost sound like the piston hitting the valves) but it's the 1 way bearing.

Here is the parts you will need.

Part #5 (In diagram) - 28115-MEY-670
Part #4 (In diagram) - 28110-MEY-670
Part #7 (In diagram) - 28125-MEY-671
Part #8 (In diagram - 28127-MS2-612

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A lot of the times if it's the starter clutch (One Way Bearing) it will sound like a metallic clunk and (almost sound like the piston hitting the valves) but it's the 1 way bearing.

Here is the parts you will need.

Part #5 (In diagram) - 28115-MEY-670
Part #4 (In diagram) - 28110-MEY-670
Part #7 (In diagram) - 28125-MEY-671
Part #8 (In diagram - 28127-MS2-612
Thanks for the reply, yea seems like it has been replaced before by someone before me because i see gasket maker on the edges of the cover, must’ve used the eBay one. What does it sound like when it’s the reduction gear though because I want to make sure that’s good too? I’ve seen a video where the reduction gear is supposed to move as a unit, and then the starter clutch should only spin one way just want to make sure that’s the correct way to check them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yea seems like it has been replaced before by someone before me because i see gasket maker on the edges of the cover, must’ve used the eBay one. What does it sound like when it’s the reduction gear though because I want to make sure that’s good too? I’ve seen a video where the reduction gear is supposed to move as a unit, and then the starter clutch should only spin one way just want to make sure that’s the correct way to check them.
Hey sorry for the late response, anyways I would go OEM they're pricy as hell but totally worth the money. Also never use RTV gasket maker usually the gasket and 7ft pounds on each bolt is all it needs to seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts