Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

i race FTR Hare Scrambles down here in sunny FLA, our races are 1.5hrs long...

I raced about a month ago and at the end of a 2nd place finish (sitting at the finish line bullshitting with the boys like we all do) i attempted to start my quad and head to my pit area and NOTHING... No neutral light, not ANY hint of attempting to spin the engine over....my buddy tows me to the pits...

Get the quad home and start to examine things, dropped a charger on the battery (still no neutral light with the key switch on) and after a bit it show a full charge (not running).... put my multi-meter on the battery and show about 14.9 volts when running (which according to what ive read means my alternator is charging the battery)....

Battery holds charge till next race (2 weeks later)..... Run THAT full race (4th place finish) and battery still charged, no issues starting before or after the race...

Fast forward to this past Sat race.... ran my charger on the battery just to make sure all is well and got a great start, rode 1st lap in 2nd place then faded to 3rd where i finished.... BUT, i stalled once during the race and fortunately i was on a long down so by the time i hit the start button about 3 times and nothing happened i just bump started and continued the race....

Get to the end of the race and AGAIN, dead ass battery....

I'll troubleshoot again today but does anyone have any thoughts on this????? A few forum searches seem to lean toward a shit battery (and from what i read this is a pretty common thing, i know from Jeeping that alot of batteries just dont stand up to the abuse of being tossed around and beaten to death)....

Thanks In Advance.

Joe Kirkland
FTR Master Quad (50+) #118

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,534 Posts
It could very well be a bad battery. Trickle charge it until it’s fully charged and then if you have a quality battery tester, test it, or bring it into a shop that can do it for you. That would definitely be step one in trying to figure out what’s going on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like a loose ground somewhere or a short in a ground. That happened to me once. I re tightened everything and got me a Shorai battery and a 24v setup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts