Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently added a DASA pipe and K&N filter to my 2007 TRX450ER and when I went to jet the bike the carb has an extra long needle with about 3/4 of an inch of length above where the needle clip goes. I have never seen this before in a Keihin carb. I cannot adjust the existing needle, as it only has one groove, and I can't find an upgraded replacement that has this extra bit at the top.

I have searched high and low in the forum and I see that other people have encountered this needle but the only recourse I have seen is to buy the HRC kit. I don't think that is an option anymore, or at least I can't find one for sale, so I'm hoping there is an alternative method to get an upgraded needle for this bike. Any thoughts?

I have an NCVQ needle on hand but it appears to be incompatible with this year of carb without some other part.

Thanks

It looks like the one on the right -

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
NCVQ needle, NGPR needle, Dasa needle, dynojet needle, etc. All of them adjustable, all of them work on an FCR carb. I bought my NCVQ on ebay, HRC aka NGPR is nearly impossible to find these days. Maybe from honda you canget it IDK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NCVQ needle, NGPR needle, Dasa needle, dynojet needle, etc. All of them adjustable, all of them work on an FCR carb. I bought my NCVQ on ebay, HRC aka NGPR is nearly impossible to find these days. Maybe from honda you canget it IDK.
Yes I have a NCVQ needle, but it doesn't fit a 2007/2008 model carb. If you look at the picture you will see what I am talking about. The 07/08 carb needle has an extension above the "normal" needle that is used when connecting it to the slide. I'm trying to find a performance needle that looks the same as this, or some direction on how to retrofit my carb so I don't need this extended needle.

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
You shouldnt need the extra bit on the top, the top screw should simply go over it. My buddy has had 2 08+ 450's and never needed to do anything else but use a different needle. You may need an older top screw setup part num Part# 16018-MEY-A11 or #7 on rocky mountain under carb. It comes with the arm and everything for like 12 bucks.

You dont have an 07 then for sure btw if you have that setup at 08 and newer started the non adjustable needle I believe. Unless someone swapped the carb out.

Why wont the needle fit as is, the top screw wont work? You dont need the extra length of the needle thats for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You shouldnt need the extra bit on the top, the top screw should simply go over it. My buddy has had 2 08+ 450's and never needed to do anything else but use a different needle. You may need an older top screw setup part num Part# 16018-MEY-A11 or #7 on rocky mountain under carb. It comes with the arm and everything for like 12 bucks.

You dont have an 07 then for sure btw if you have that setup at 08 and newer started the non adjustable needle I believe. Unless someone swapped the carb out.

Why wont the needle fit as is, the top screw wont work? You dont need the extra length of the needle thats for sure.
The issue with the existing needle is the bit at the top allows the holder to control it in both directions, up and down. If it’s not there the needle isn’t attached to the holder.

I think your suggestion of the prior year holder assembly is a good one, thanks for that. As it can screw down onto the needle it can hold it in, versus my year where that holder is hollow all the way to the top. I’ll try that, thanks.

·
Truck Yea
5,281 Posts
I think were on the right track. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
8 Posts

The issue with the existing needle is the bit at the top allows the holder to control it in both directions, up and down. If it’s not there the needle isn’t attached to the holder.

I think your suggestion of the prior year holder assembly is a good one, thanks for that. As it can screw down onto the needle it can hold it in, versus my year where that holder is hollow all the way to the top. I’ll try that, thanks.
I thought the same thing when I got my needle in. The clip would keep it from going out the top, but not falling out the bottom. I bought a needle from Woodward Specialties and it fit just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts