Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. i currently just traded my r6 for a 2006 honda trx450r. I heard the bike run and drove it before i committed to trading. The previous owner said "the bike needs to be rejetted, because its running rich and hard starting when its cold" how the previous owner started the bike was by pushing it and bump starting it on the road. I took the carb off to come and find inside was clean as a whistle. The main jet size is 180 and stock jet size is 120. I went to my local atv repair shop and talked to one of the parts guys, he said "the best thing to do is to try a 170 jet and work my way down to a jet that suits best for my bike". I don't want to jump right to stock jet size and have the bike lean out. i put the carb back together and installed it onto the bike. I got a new battery and tried to start it however the atv backfires here and there every time i left the choke on. The mod list is

*Valves redone
*full fat boys exhaust
*520 bore kit
*hot cam
*new clutch
*new coil

I'm wondering what else i should try to get it running or things i can check in the mean time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Did the previous owner do the Valve job him self or did someone do it for him? It almost sounds like the Decompression Lifter is way to tight or the Intake Valves might be way to toght or possibly even both if it's backfiring and only starts when push started.

Pull the Valve Cover off and make sure you have 3 feeler Gauges for this task...

Using an .011" to put between the Exhaust Lifters Valve shim.
Now leave that .011 Gauge in place while you measure the Decompressor Arm Clearance Using another .014 feeler gauge...

You should be able to fit a .014" between Rocker and Decompression Arm while that .011" Feeler Gauge is Still In Place.
IF NOT then you adjust the Decompressor Arm To .014"

Your intake valves should be at .006"

The reason it Back Fires when starting I'm thinking is because during the TDC Stroke the Exhaust Valves are being held open way to far. They are only supposed to be slightly open to let some of the Compression out of the engine so it does not strain the Starter (Or your leg if it's kick start).

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
Sounds like you may be running to rich. What jet sizes in your carb? What year and mods for quad?
Any luck Hakeem adams? Did you dial in the quad? Send pics, if not what’s it doing? What mods and jets are you running ? maybe we can help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts