Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done a bit of reading and here is what I have. Red light comes on for a few seconds with key on then goes off. If I ground the sensor wire, the red light comes on but no fan. I've tested the fan independently and it works. I have 12V pos at the fan plug but no ground. I have continuity from the fan plug back to the plug at the ICM (CDI). So... it appears to me I have an issue in the ICM. I currently have a toggle switch providing ground when I want to kick it on but I'd prefer to put it back original (bike is new to me). Is there anything else I need to check for before I decide "IF" i want to replace the ICM?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes grounding the temp sensor should kick the fan on as long as the key is in the ON positio that is a good quick test. But also...

The cooling Fan has 1 Green Wire that is "Ground" which goes strait into the ICM and then a Blue wire that goes to a 12V switched source. Usually if the Key in the ON position the ICM blue wire should have 12V to the ICM I would start there... (Don't get that Blue wire confused with the Bright's Wire of head lights) then you have the Yellow/Blue Stripe with is the Temp Sensor wire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
understood and agreed. I have 12V at blue wire with key on. sensor wire is good and turns red light on when grounded but I don't get a ground from the green wire coming from the ICM so I "think" I have an ICM issue. I was hoping there would be something else that would contribute to the issue besides assuming it was the ICM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any of you guys familiar with the auto decompression on a 2008 er I think I set mine wrong I lost compression

·
Registered
421 Posts
understood and agreed. I have 12V at blue wire with key on. sensor wire is good and turns red light on when grounded but I don't get a ground from the green wire coming from the ICM so I "think" I have an ICM issue. I was hoping there would be something else that would contribute to the issue besides assuming it was the ICM.
Yeah there is a possibility for the ECM to have went bad. It's rare but it does happen. I believe they use a Mosfet and Transistor inside of them that acts at a relay and triggers the fan on and off and that could have burnt out and of course you do have to replace the entire ECM at that point. Or you can get a cheap relay anf some wire and jst wire the relay trigger wire to the Temp Sensor and the fan will kick on and off just like it did before when the engine hits 2010 Degrees.

Here is a good used ECU I'll link below. This ECU listen on this eBay posting is more then likely fine. A lot of people (Including my self) sell parts off of wrecked ATV's and other good used parts on eBay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So..... I got it working. Long story short, it was the battery.

Now long story long.. one of my boy's 125 Raptor had the battery go out 2 days before a race. He was practicing in the back yard so I stole the batter off my bike to get him back to practice and help justify me buying a new Shorai LI (in lieu of going 24V). Well it was evening and his lights kept going dimmer and dimmer. I thought I had a rectifier issue on that bike. Voltage was all out of whack. What's the odds of 2 batteries going bad on the same day right??? Well since we needed to race I splurged on a new battery for him to at least get him started if he staled during the race. Raced all weekend w/o issue, voltage was showing 13.5ish at idle.. everything looked good. My Shorai came in today and while installing i started thinking. So with the battery installed I started testing, with the sensor shorted, I got a ground now!!! hooked everything up like factory, grounded the sensor, fan works!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would anyone have a junk fan that would be willing to send me the pigtail. mine is missing and spliced into the factory harness leaving the plug exposed. I'd like to get that corrected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts