Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crank bearings went, motor locked. Now I’m opening it up and kinda need some advice as to what put into it. Should I get a hotrods stroker? Should I stay with the oem crank? Bigger cylinder and piston? Stage 2 cams? Anything is appreciated, I just want to make power and reliability.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,241 Posts
How come you started a new thread instead of continuing the other one that you had some of us giving you answers in?

·
Registered
403 Posts
First I would like to mention... if anything you should try to steer towards the OEM Crank . Either way if you go with the Hot Rods or the OEM bearings use the OE Bearings OE or Hot Rods. The Bearings that Hot Rods provides are absolute JUNK trust me.

I'll give you a good idea of a decent set up that will get you in the mid 50's of HP if you don;t mind spending a little money. OEM Crank, OEM bearing, +3mm Athena Big Bore kit (It comes with a 12:1 CP Piston), Stage 2 or 3 Hot Cams, Get your head Ported, buy a FCR Carburetor if you want. The stock 05 Carbs are okay too, but if you did get a FCR buy a used one from either a CRF450R or a 2007 CRF250R.

In other words I would say just do the OEM crank and a big bore kit and a good exhaust system... I mean like a Dasa,Rossier/Empire Industries, Monster etc.

Go Partszilla,they have the entire schematic of every part that you will need for the bottom end. A lot of times you only need to replace the Main Crank Bearings and Crank and case gaskets (as long as the crank thrush washers did not gouge and crack the case Which happens a lot) Most of the other bearings in the cases for the transmission balance etc are usually fine... Unless they're damaged or don't spin freely then for sure go ahead and replace them while you're in there.

OIL COOLER - Since you have a 2005 make sure to get an Oil Cooler too! Trust me it's almost impossible to clean all of the metal shavings and glitter that gets created when you have a crank failure and I can guarantee you that thing is LOADED full of it.

You will still be pretty reliable with that. This is similar to my set up and abuse the crap out of my engineand it's been holding up strong for 3 or 4 years now I ride every weekend sometimes during the week.

Parts I would get...

OEM Crank
OEM Crank Bearings
Tusk Complete Gasket kit (Tusk is good never had an issue with any gaskets leaking)
Oil Cooler
Athena Big Bore kit (Comes with a 12:1 CP Piston)
Stage 2 or 3 Hot Cam

If you're unsure how to install the bearings I would make sure to do a lot of research or better yet get a Service Repair Manual before assembling the bottom end trust me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also, how do I install an oil cooler? Where do I even get one? What else would I need for it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I just noticed it for the first time in the pic, it’s on the radiator. I don’t think it was fully hooked up or anything because I disassembled the engine and I didn’t come across anything that made me think it had an oil cooler

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bike hasn’t been started in a long time, any recommendations to what I should do to the oil cooler or radiator or anything like that

·
Registered
403 Posts
ALL 2004/ 2005's have oil coolers, we wouldn't mention that if we did not know. Do you see those 2 small steel braided hoses that have one 8mm bolt each? Those are the Oil Cooler lines, one is a input from the oil pump and other one is a input. Plus you can clearly see the Oil Cooler and the lines perfectly from the picture...

Like I said before just replace it. As for the radiator it's fine it just carried coolant no metal shards will be in it.

Better yet if you're unsure what you're doing I would honestly at least get someone to rebuild just the bottom end for you by the least. I'm not trying to sound like an a..s.s. hat so I hope you're not taking it that way but I'm just telling you it's no fun spending a lot of money 2 times in a row because you didn't know how to assemble something. If you're asking for advice I would not question our answers as we are very well experienced with these engines. Rebuilding a Bottom end as a beginner is not a good idea I'm just saying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone tell me how I get this to come out of the other side? All the rebuilds I’ve seen have no problem pulling the counterbalance out through the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also can’t see to get the primary drive out, I’ve tried w multiple impacts and the nut doesn’t move, any advice?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,241 Posts
well, for the counterbalancer, start with removing the key that’s in the shaft groove. Then pull it out and turn it 90° once it starts coming out.

what primary nut?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was talking about the primary drive nut that held the gear, but I managed to heat it up a little bit and take it out. Exactly how do I take that key out of the groove? I haven’t seen it anywhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also just purchased a new oem crank with a Carrillo rod in it, from jsd machine works. I also have a cp 12:1 compression piston. What other “upgrades” would y’all recommend for my build?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m trying to stay away from stroker crank and maintain standard bore. What else should be a good improvement for my cooling system?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey I also have an FCR carb with an R&D bowl. I plan on putting it in my 05 trx450r. I’m currently rebuilding it with an oem crank trued and welded by jsd machineworks with a Carrillo rod. Also got a 12:1 compression cp piston, standard bore. My questions are... will I have to get kibblewhite valves or do anything to the top end to run this setup? Where did I get the boot for the carb to be able to fit? And how do I set up the carb to run this setup smoothly? I just want a nice clean setup to trail ride.

·
Truck Yea
5,454 Posts
I would suggest if your going this far to rebuild the head with new valves. No reason not to why its all apart.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts