Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 TRX 450R Kick start
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !
I'm new to this forum and I came here to have some help.
So, I recently finished to rebuild my top end (New 11.5:1 piston + rings) and I also changed valves shim since I messed up to mark them...

So now It's all done, valves are done with good clearance (I had hard time to to get to the right clearance), tried to start it up and It was reaaalllyyy hard to start, need to kick multiple time and the engine start for 0,5 sec at every kick, I need to quickly pull the throttle to keep it alive.

When the quad is running cold, I have to keep the throttle a little open to keep it running... Looks like I have to mess with carb settings

And when It's at idle for 3-4 minutes, It's holding idle (not that long tho) and a lot of white smoke (I'm 100% sure it's oil burning smoke) is coming from vent hose in the airbox....

Note that I've changed the old oil (it was 10W40 full synth motul) and replaced it with 10W30 full synth motul under advices of Honda.

So my questions is :
  • What happen inside that can burn oil ??
  • Is it possible that mixing different oil (residue) can make trouble like this ?
  • Is the hard start can be caused by or in relation with this smoke ?

Thanks for your help guys and sorry for my bad english, I'm a french dude :D

·
Registered
2005 TRX 450R Kick start
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you folded some rings during your piston install.
I don't think it's rings because there's no smoke at the exhaust.
And the installation of thoses rings was really easy, I don't used force to fit them he slided perfectly in the cylinder

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
it sounds like rings, the oil coming out like that is the compression going up into the head. it has happened to me before. or the piston is cracked (it has happened to me before also)

·
Registered
2005 TRX 450R Kick start
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sounds like rings, the oil coming out like that is the compression going up into the head. it has happened to me before. or the piston is cracked (it has happened to me before also)
But it's all brand new except valves seals...
Rings are placed correctly at 120°

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
But it's all brand new except valves seals...
Rings are placed correctly at 120°
check them. because there is no reason to burn oil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts