Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2005 Honda trx450r, I bought it recently off of a guy up in perris ca, for $2000. This thing is trashed but the motors is solid, this was up until a couple days ago when I went to go clean the carb and put a 48 pilot and a 168 main, I went to go ride it around and and all it does now is rev until about 1/10 throttle and then sputter and bog. I’ve replaced the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, turned the a/f mixture screw out 2 1/2 turns out. I have tried everything, I’ve read other posts on this matter and people say the crank could be going out or it’s low in compression, I do not believe either of these two are going out as I have tested both getting 170 psi in the cylinder and I opened the fly wheel cover and tried my hardest to move the fly wheel up and down, side to side. I have just ordered a brand new ignition coil off Amazon, hoping that fixes it, I have also ordered a new hot start set up, I was messing with it and the quad seems to idle a bit better when hot start is messed with. I have a feeling this new ignition coil will not do the trick but my friends think it will so I ordered it anyway. Please let me know if anyone has any advice or any idea of what could be causing this annoying problem, it would be nice to have a good running quad before I go out to ocotillo this season as this will be my first time ever going to the desert, I don’t want this to ruin my trip as well as my friends who are taking me, I’m leaving the 11 of November, please let me know.
Thank you

·
Registered
494 Posts
First thing Make sure the Main Jet didn't fall out...

Second thing I would check. Pull the Fuel Tank off, pull the top of the Carburetor off, you will see 3 Philips Head Screws on top of the carburetor, look down into the carburetor and now you will see there is 2 Philips head screws... Make sure they didn't back out (this is common on the 04-05 trx450r, 400ex and 300ex carbs) Symptoms are when you give it gas it will bog, wont rev, it will idle all day long and rev till about 2000 RPM's and then falls on it's face (If those screws came loose they will not cause any damage) but what happens is the butter fly valve will open but the slide doesn't.

Next thing to check is the Ignition Coil connector make sure it's plugged on all the way, if it's loose or if it's plugged in but it's just held on by the rubber shield (I have seen this too) it will vibrate and looses contact and it will misfire.

Make sure that the Pet Cawk valve is flowing freely, just remove the fuel line from the carb and turn the fuel on for a second or two, it should flow out like a garden hose not just a trickle.

Did you throw a new pipe on it by chance? Remove the airbox lid...
Did you put an Airbox lid on it? If so Remove the airbox lid...

Make sure the Blue Spark Plug bot is screwed onto the spark plug wire all the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

thank you for responding to my email,
First thing Make sure the Main Jet didn't fall out...

Second thing I would check. Pull the Fuel Tank off, pull the top of the Carburetor off, you will see 3 Philips Head Screws on top of the carburetor, look down into the carburetor and now you will see there is 2 Philips head screws... Make sure they didn't back out (this is common on the 04-05 trx450r, 400ex and 300ex carbs) Symptoms are when you give it gas it will bog, wont rev, it will idle all day long and rev till about 2000 RPM's and then falls on it's face (If those screws came loose they will not cause any damage) but what happens is the butter fly valve will open but the slide doesn't.

Next thing to check is the Ignition Coil connector make sure it's plugged on all the way, if it's loose or if it's plugged in but it's just held on by the rubber shield (I have seen this too) it will vibrate and looses contact and it will misfire.

Make sure that the Pet Cawk valve is flowing freely, just remove the fuel line from the carb and turn the fuel on for a second or two, it should flow out like a garden hose not just a trickle.

Did you throw a new pipe on it by chance? Remove the airbox lid...
Did you put an Airbox lid on it? If so Remove the airbox lid...

Make sure the Blue Spark Plug bot is screwed onto the spark plug wire all the way.
hello,

thank you for responding to my post. I have checked the two screws on the needle butterfly they are not lose as I can’t even get them out as yesterday I was trying to move the needle down as the atv is super rich. I also bought a new ignition coil I’m going to try to put it on and hopefully that fixes. I also have a white brothers e2 exhaust on there with a k&n air filter so I will remove the lid to see if that helps. I will also check the pet cawk to make sure it flows, I never thought of checking that.

what position do you think the clip should be on my atv if I’m running open air box and have a white bros E2 exhaust?
Thank you so much for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts