Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2005 Honda TRX450r. Starts fine. Once warmed up, idles really high in neutral or when squeezing clutch in. Wants to take off in first gear when going, as if pressing the throttle. Revs high in first and while in neutral. Idle screw doesn’t do much anymore, stays high. Pretty much I’m looking for some opinions. All stock.
B220BE58-1D56-45E5-A006-6032E6364071.jpeg

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would start it and take starting fluid and spray around the intake boot and carb and see if it revs up. If so it has an air leak. Other 2 things I would check, 1 is that the air fuel screw is still in there and 2 is that the hot start isn't stuck open

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start it and take starting fluid and spray around the intake boot and carb and see if it revs up. If so it has an air leak. Other 2 things I would check, 1 is that the air fuel screw is still in there and 2 is that the hot start isn't stuck open
Yep, sprayed the boots and it revs up.

·
Truck Yea
5,436 Posts
Then you have aleak somewhere. Time to diagnose whats going on witht eh boots and the idle screw.

Reactions: NickkChavezz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then you have aleak somewhere. Time to diagnose whats going on witht eh boots and the idle screw.
Is this something I can fix myself? I’m new to having a quad, but I’ve been watchin a lot of videos and researching. Especially on how to remove the carburetor. I feel like I have a idea of what to do, But never tried. I got a guy that said he’ll look at it, but I’ll have to wait like 2 weeks. Idk if it’s more than just a air leak. Just revs high while
Idle. And sometimes it’ll backfire once when I turn it off.

·
Truck Yea
5,436 Posts
Is this something I can fix myself? I’m new to having a quad, but I’ve been watchin a lot of videos and researching. Especially on how to remove the carburetor. I feel like I have a idea of what to do, But never tried. I got a guy that said he’ll look at it, but I’ll have to wait like 2 weeks. Idk if it’s more than just a air leak. Just revs high while
Idle. And sometimes it’ll backfire once when I turn it off.
Sure it’s fixable yourself. Just have to determine where the air leak is coming from. Could be the carburetor isn’t seated on the boots, cracked or damaged boots, etc

Reactions: NickkChavezz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure it’s fixable yourself. Just have to determine where the air leak is coming from. Could be the carburetor isn’t seated on the boots, cracked or damaged boots, etc
Noticed my idle screw won’t turn either way also. That might have something to do with some shit. Seems tight. Won’t turn.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,226 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!! Can you post what you did to fix it so that if others in the future have this problem and are searching they can find an answer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Intake boots were fine. I checked all that for cracks, leaks and retightened clamps. My idle screw knob was stuck from where I kept messing with it. Ive only had this quad for 2 months so I’m getting more familiar with it and I prob turned that knob too much in the beginning. It was stuck too high. I noticed this by taking the cover off the side of carburetor where the throttle and idle screw go into. Noticed my idle screw on the inside was up too high. Pushin up and Not letting off the throttle piece. I prob need to actually take that idle screw out and clean that cable or whatever it is. Oil it up or something so it doesn’t get stuck or hard to turn. Idk if I explained it right . But that’s what I did. Now I can adjust my idle screw easier and lower my idle to normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2005 Honda TRX450r. Starts fine. Once warmed up, idles really high in neutral or when squeezing clutch in. Wants to take off in first gear when going, as if pressing the throttle. Revs high in first and while in neutral. Idle screw doesn’t do much anymore, stays high. Pretty much I’m looking for some opinions. All stock. View attachment 151484
either you have a vacuum leak or your idle screw adjustment is sticking! Had this happen to mine and I had to take needlenose pliers on the kickstart side and get on the cable and sring and help turn it down and of course spray it with wd or some kind of lube

1 - 13 of 13 Posts