Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2004 trx450r and it is getting no spark, tested every single electrical component from the manual.
-Alternator charging coil- Spec is between 0.1-1.0 Ohms and I read 0.5 Ohms from each wire to each other and no continuity to ground.
-Ignition coil peak voltage- Spec is 100V Minimum and I read 125V

Initially I was getting 0 to very little reading for ignition coil peak voltage so replaced it and now I have peak voltage within spec.

-Alternator exciter coil- Spec is 80V min for high and 30V min for low, from the 6 pin connector I get 89.7V and 35.9V respectively, from 3 pin I get 86.9V and 34.4V respectively
-Ignition pulse generator- Spec is 0.7V I get 5.7V on the 8 pin connector and 6.9V on the 2 pin connector
-Ignition switch is supposed to have continuity between Black/White and Green, Red and Black when off and none when on but I was getting continuity from Black/White and Green off no cont. from Red and Black, opposite when switched on so cont. between Red and black but no cont. between Black/White and Green.

I bypassed ignition switch but did not solve problem

-Engine Stop switch continuity was all in spec but even with unplugged no spark.
-Carb Heater and Throttle Position sensor were both within spec even though they dont attribute to spark

I know the spark plug is good as I have tested in on other machines and sparks perfectly

All that manual says about ign coil peak voltage being within spec without spark is either
1. Faulty spark plug or leaking ignition coil secondary current
2. Faulty Ignition Coil

Any suggestions or questions are much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am working on a 2004 trx450r and it is getting no spark, tested every single electrical component from the manual.
-Alternator charging coil- Spec is between 0.1-1.0 Ohms and I read 0.5 Ohms from each wire to each other and no continuity to ground.
-Ignition coil peak voltage- Spec is 100V Minimum and I read 125V

Initially I was getting 0 to very little reading for ignition coil peak voltage so replaced it and now I have peak voltage within spec.

-Alternator exciter coil- Spec is 80V min for high and 30V min for low, from the 6 pin connector I get 89.7V and 35.9V respectively, from 3 pin I get 86.9V and 34.4V respectively
-Ignition pulse generator- Spec is 0.7V I get 5.7V on the 8 pin connector and 6.9V on the 2 pin connector
-Ignition switch is supposed to have continuity between Black/White and Green, Red and Black when off and none when on but I was getting continuity from Black/White and Green off no cont. from Red and Black, opposite when switched on so cont. between Red and black but no cont. between Black/White and Green.

I bypassed ignition switch but did not solve problem

-Engine Stop switch continuity was all in spec but even with unplugged no spark.
-Carb Heater and Throttle Position sensor were both within spec even though they dont attribute to spark

I know the spark plug is good as I have tested in on other machines and sparks perfectly

All that manual says about ign coil peak voltage being within spec without spark is either
1. Faulty spark plug or leaking ignition coil secondary current
2. Faulty Ignition Coil

Any suggestions or questions are much appreciated.

Thanks
From everything I have read here and online and the service manual looks like I am gonna have to replace ICM :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts