Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first ATV and a friend told me that he paid $200 for a service! that sounds like too much money for me so I thought That I would come here and ask the 450 guys. I already cleaned the airfilter which is still stock and easily accesible. Now I dont know what kind of engine oil to use/ how much, or what else needs to be changed / replaced, serviced. I prefer to do things myself but I do not know what the quad needs done! What needs to happen during a full service?????
Please if you have some pointers on how to service my 05 trx450r please help. Thanks

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
A good start would be to replace the spark plug, engine oil/filter, tranny oil, possibly radiator fluid.

Check all your bolts especially any that are on any assemblies realted to the drive train and make sure they are tight.

You should really have your valve clearances checked as well.

I use basic Mobile one Synthetic in the engine side and Torco motorcycle tranny fluid in the tranny side. A pretty cost effective brand for the engine and tranny is Shell's Rotella 15w 40. A lot of people use that on this site.

That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yah wut depot said. Just the regular maintenance and you will be fine, just check everything you can think of make sure its in place and good working order along with all the oils changed for the most part. And I second the valves to be checked. Personally I use HP4M 10w40 in the engine and the HP 2 stroke tranny oil in the red bottle on the tranny side but I dont think it really matteers what you use as long as its not like moly in the tranny side or something becuz ive heard of tons of diff brands being used and not too many problems.

·
Registered
972 Posts
change engine and tranny oil. change engine oil filter. clean and oil air filter (which you already did). you should do these things regularly anyway.

check plug but if it looks good i wouldn't worry about replacing it. the plugs on these things are pretty bullet proof unless ur jetting is way off. they last a long time.

check coolant but probably doesn't need changed for a first service.

check brake fluid.

adjust valve clearances. there is a how-to guide here on this site. and lots of guys that can walk you through it.

adjust breaks and clutch as the cables stretch a bit on a new bike.

should be good to go.

i think the owners manual has a service schedule and it also gives all the specs you will need.

an 05 takes 0.8 liters (almost a quart, most guys use a whole quart) engine oil and 0.6 liters of tranny oil.

have fun.

·
Registered
499 Posts
dont use rotella, my best luck has been with the honda tranny oil and ams oil 10w 40. i didnt like the way my tranny was acting with that rotella in it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
just do what rj1 said.. i really dont wanna see another long thread about which oils to use, there is already one.. just search it

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
yea
-change engine oil/filter, tranny oil
-check brake fluid levels
-check coolant level
-adjust throttle,clutch, chain free play/slack
-clean and lube chain
-check valve clerance and decomp clearance

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I really appreciate all the help that every one has provided. I will be checking oil levels and cleaning things when I get some time. I had a problem finding oil for the foam air filter though. The one thing I did do , I couldnt finish! I went to Autozone and they had no clue about what I was asking for. Where is a good place to get this stuff that I need.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
well basically the 04-05 airfilter are really cheap to buy, the stock filters. they are about half the price of the 06+ air filters. i buy a new air filter my quad about twice or three times a year. i have a 06 and if the filters were the price of the 04,05, i would probably, get a new air filter about every 3 months.

go to rocky mountain ATV and u can get some air filter cleaner and oils for your air filter. alot of people like the NO-toil stuff. the oil is pretty good, not that impressed by the cleaner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well basically the 04-05 airfilter are really cheap to buy, the stock filters. they are about half the price of the 06+ air filters. i buy a new air filter my quad about twice or three times a year. i have a 06 and if the filters were the price of the 04,05, i would probably, get a new air filter about every 3 months.

go to rocky mountain ATV and u can get some air filter cleaner and oils for your air filter. alot of people like the NO-toil stuff. the oil is pretty good, not that impressed by the cleaner.[/b]
Thank you Lumi!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts