Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 1st big crash last week. I've been riding a long time and have had a few mishaps. But this one freaked me out. My local track added a huge step up and I've been killing it.
The last two times on the track I noticed the ass end of the quad was kicking out(left or right) on a few of the jumps when i wasn't expecting it to. I didn't think much of it. I thought the lip was crooked or somthing and moved on. And on my last lap of the day I hit that step up again in 4th pinned. And the bike kicked out to the left so violently, so fast and so far I couldn't control it or bring it back. I hit the ground sidways and was ejected. I must have hit the ground hard because I lost consciousness, cracked my helmet and almost broke my neck.

I can't figure out what went wrong. I know that lip was straight. Did I get sloppy? Bad form? To cocky? Packed rear shock? Idk

The only thing I can think of is that I adjusted the rebound on my rear shock almost all the way a few weeks ago.

Could that have caused this accident?

Any advice on how to make that mid air correction?

Thank you,

· Registered
2006 Honda trx450er
238 Posts
I had my 1st big crash last week. I've been riding a long time and have had a few mishaps. But this one freaked me out. My local track added a huge step up and I've been killing it.
The last two times on the track I noticed the ass end of the quad was kicking out(left or right) on a few of the jumps when i wasn't expecting it to. I didn't think much of it. I thought the lip was crooked or somthing and moved on. And on my last lap of the day I hit that step up again in 4th pinned. And the bike kicked out to the left so violently, so fast and so far I couldn't control it or bring it back. I hit the ground sidways and was ejected. I must have hit the ground hard because I lost consciousness, cracked my helmet and almost broke my neck.

I can't figure out what went wrong. I know that lip was straight. Did I get sloppy? Bad form? To cocky? Packed rear shock? Idk

The only thing I can think of is that I adjusted the rebound on my rear shock almost all the way a few weeks ago.

Thank you,
I would recommend a gt thunder rear link that will help a lot with the kickback these things have.

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
There’s multiple reasons why a quad will kick out like that. Suspension & set up (rebound), uneven tire pressure or wear. Leaning slightly and letting off the throttle too early, not being straight & square coming up or off jump ,track conditions etc.
I’ll venture to say maybe you adjusted your rebound too strong and wnen you came up the jump suspension compressed then rebounded to fast. You said you adjusted the rebound all the way (soft or hard?)
4th gear pinned is fast, ive had my ass end kick way up and almost throw me over the handlebars, because of two reasons my rebound was set up to tight strong however you want to call it. And letting off the throttle too early. Scary 😧. Glad you’re ok. Check your rebound. What shock and link do you have currently set up on your quad?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock suspension. I got a recommendation recently to soften my compression and increase my rebound. And I t felt great, it hasn't bucked or kicked up. Just side to side.
It even kicked to side on some small table tops.

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Stock suspension. I got a recommendation recently to soften my compression and increase my rebound. And I t felt great, it hasn't bucked or kicked up. Just side to side.
It even kicked to side on some small table tops.
I would say thats your answer then 🤷🏻‍♂️.Maybe you’re a touch to soft on compression and a touch to high on rebound. Make some minor adjustments and see if it still kicks to the side.
Good luck

· Making HP ain’t free. . .
5,010 Posts
It sounds like your suspension could use some tuning and/or some upgrades. But I would start looking at other areas to try to figure out the problem. Usually poor suspension set up will just make the quad buck or come off the jump goofy but usually not kick out the back end one way or the other. I had an instance where my quad started jumping funny, and I realized I had bent my Houser swingarm. Take a look at everything on the quad, make sure the axle is tight and straight, take measurements from one point of the frame to a point on the rear wheel on both sides and see if they’re the same. Jack the quad up and let the suspension sit at full extension and see if anything looks bent or lower than some thing on the opposite side. and check the frame for any cracks, especially at the top, where the subframe bolts to the frame, that area is known for cracks after lots of track use.

· TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,571 Posts

Thank you,

The possibility of letting out of the throttle too early, shock fade, and being tired (last lap) could be a number of reasons. Slowing down the rebound could help but the pitching sideways sounds like tire pressure, swing-arm bearing, or carrier bearing issue if the lip was straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts