Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Kenda klaws (20 x 11 x10) that I ordered for my 10" ITP rims, this weekend I ruined another rim, so I ordered a set of 10" race wheels (inner and outer rings), so I can still run my kendas. Now I see that there are a few types of 18" tires for a 10" rim. I just orderd a set of holeshots MX (18 x 11 x 10) is anybody using tires this size? I hear ITP has discontinued these, I would think with such a short sidewall they would be a good MX tire.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by BingeNut@Jun 22 2004, 02:14 PM
I have a set of Kenda klaws (20 x 11 x10) that I ordered for my 10" ITP rims, this weekend I ruined another rim, so I ordered a set of 10" race wheels (inner and outer rings), so I can still run my kendas.  Now I see that there are a few types of 18" tires for a 10" rim.  I just orderd a set of holeshots MX (18 x 11 x 10) is anybody using tires this size? I hear ITP has discontinued these,  I would think with such a short sidewall they would be a good MX tire.
I dont understand why you would want 10 rims for any style of racing....the side wall of the tire helps protect the rim....thats why most run 8 or 9 inch tires...so they can have a smaller tire and still have some sidewall to help protect the rim....Im not suprised you bent it to begin with

But to answer your question, sorry I simply dont know.....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the 10" rims originally, because I do quite a bit of trail riding and I wanted the extra clearance. 2 reasons for ordering the 10" rims this time, was because I already had the tires for them, and they were the only ones I could get in time to race this weekend. So now I have a set of 18" tires coming that will probably be no good to me except to ruin a couple more rims I guess :wacko: Damn gotta check this stuff out before I order stuff from now on. I was just thinking that there would be less sidewall flex to these for better cornering etc. There I go thinking again, a fella could get hurt that way.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by BingeNut@Jun 22 2004, 02:28 PM
I ordered the 10" rims originally, because I do quite a bit of trail riding and I wanted the extra clearance.  2 reasons for ordering the 10" rims this time, was because I already had the tires for them, and they were the only ones I could get in time to race this weekend.  So now I have a set of 18" tires coming that will probably be no good to me except to ruin a couple more rims I guess :wacko: Damn gotta check this stuff out before I order stuff from now on.  I was just thinking that there would be less sidewall flex to these for better cornering etc.  There I go thinking again, a fella could get hurt that way.
you are right about the less sidewall the better cornering. But as you just learned there is a place to draw the line....the tires made for the 8 or 9 inch rims will corner plenty good enough trust me.....and you really arent gaining any ground clearence, if you get the same size tire, but in a size 10. The tire is the same size height wise. so your just making it easier to bend a rim.....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and you really arent gaining any ground clearence, if you get the same size tire, but in a size 10. The tire is the same size height wise. so your just making it easier to bend a rim.....[/b]
Sorry, when I first orderd the 10" ITP's, I got 22" tires at the same time therefore getting the clearance, then when I decided I was going to race, I went with my stock 20" tires on the stock rims, when I bent those rims (and the stock axle) that is when I ordered the 20" Kendas for my 10" ITP rims (and my durablue axle) for racing, when I bought the 20" tires it wasn't for clearance, it was for getting a little smaller tire for the rims that I already had the 22" tires for. I think I just confused myself. :wacko:

Thanks for the input. I guess I better start saving for more rims and tires
:wacko:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
You must sacrafice one for the other. If you get bigger rims(10") then there is less tire and you will have a rougher ride! If you get smaller rims(8") then there is more weight with more tire. DW did an artical about a year ago with Kory Ellis and he felt for the all around tire you should go with the 9" because then your right in the middle. Not to much tire and not to much rim! My 2cents worth! B)
But, remember most racers get 8" rims in the back because there's more tire so when you jump the tire takes some of the blow. If you get bigger rims then there's more demand on the shocks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts