Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I think so its way to big (but not positive) but can I ask you why you wanna put a 16 tooth sprocket?

·
Registered
285 Posts
You will see a bigger change in gearing (top speed) when you go down a tooth in the rear. I had a street legal Suzuki Z400 that I changed the rear sprocket on after seeing little change with a different drive sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
You will see a bigger change in gearing (top speed) when you go down a tooth in the rear. I had a street legal Suzuki Z400 that I changed the rear sprocket on after seeing little change with a different drive sprocket.
Going up 1 tooth on the front is like dropping 3 teeth in the back.

To answer your question, I BELIEVE a 16t will fit - but no case saver will fit around it and/or between the left side case and chain.

·
Registered
285 Posts
^^^Hmmm, you're probably right ghott. I'm thinking maybe I already had a 15t on the front still needing more top speed speed and no more room for a bigger drive sprocket.

Yellow450R, it maybe possible to put a 16t on but IMO I wouldn't risk not running a case saver. Could keep the stock drive sprocket and get a small rear just get several teeth smaller...like ghott said 1 in the front equals 3 in the back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks guys. I'm going to buy a 16t and a 15t. Because their like 10 bucks. I've ran without a case saver since it was brand new in 08. I always keep my chain lubed, I know it can still break but I'll take that risk. I want to go down in the rear to but the lowest I can find is a 36t. Anyone know where I can get like a 30t rear ? Tanks again for all the help guys

·
Truck Yea
5,773 Posts
Smaller in the rear is the way to go, had a 400ex with a 15/36 combo that was really good.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I typed mine wrong. A 16 will fit but its not worth the risk which everyone has pointed out. Just find a really small back sprocket and a 15t front unless you aren't worried about a case saver. But I cracked my case and it definitely is not fun..

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
Yep a 16 should fit with no case saver. I am running a 15 with a poly saver and I had to shave it down for it to fit well. I run a 15/38 and top speed is ok but not highway approved by my standards... I'd see what you can do for a custom rear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I never really thought about the chain. But if I need a new one so be it.

I have the torque. And remember this is just for highway riddin. I like the stock gearing for everything else.

I know it's risky with no case saver but I haven't ever had a problem with chains, I keep them lubed and at proper tension.

Yeah I want to try and find a really small rear sprocket like a 30 tooth. Smallest i found was a 35 tooth so far. Wounder how much a custom 30 tooth would be ?

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts