Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard that the 13t works better with stock tires, but does it kill the top end when replaced? if anyone has any opinions please share them. thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont know the exact mph lost but it doesnt hurt power wise. All it does is help get up in the RPM's sooner. Very usefull when used with a HRC kit or aftermarket cam that moves the powerband up. It will REALLY help when aftermarket CDI's start coming out, moving the rev limiter up a couple thousand RPM's.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the difference isnt really super noticeable?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks kid.... very helpful

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
yes..if yo uever use top speed then you will notice a huge loss with the 13...I was riding down the road in 5th & kept thinking my 5th gear was missing...when I got home I remembered I had the 13 tooth on there & I took it off & its probably staying off...if you dont ever use your top speed then I gues sit wont really hurt ya

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How easy are they to switch from a stock 14t to a 13t?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by DaNNNNNy9@Jul 20 2004, 02:55 PM
How easy are they to switch from a stock 14t to a 13t?
when you get good at it around 5 minutes with the case saver & everything... u have to readjust your chain to get the old one off & the new one on but its really easy

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
It's worth doing!!
You get allot more tork, the bike is much faster out of the hole and you don't lose that much top end! ( Hardly at all) :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet. thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by Rico'450R@Jul 20 2004, 05:19 PM
It's worth doing!!
You get allot more tork, the bike is much faster out of the hole and you don't lose that much top end! ( Hardly at all) :D
I lost ALOT of top end with mine.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Your top speed will go from 78 to 72, how often will you need to go 78 miles per hour on a quad? I don't want to give a lecture so I will keep this short ---

A 17 year old kid I know was KILLED last night in a car accident. His friend was driving the car and was speeding down the highway, a car in front slowed down, he cut the wheel and flipped. The kid I know was thrown out the top of the car and is now dead. His parents had to get the phone call that their son that is 17 years old is gone...forever. I know these are quads, but is it worth flying down a dirt road or whatever at those speeds. A deer runs out in front or you hit a ditch, you are DEAD at these speeds. Think before you act, it could save your life. Ride safe boys---

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i ride 78 on the roads all the time.....back country roads...i know the dangers & I am 17 also...if I die I die doing something I love

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 20 2004, 11:16 PM
i ride 78 on the roads all the time.....back country roads...i know the dangers & I am 17 also...if I die I die doing something I love
I'm not trying to be a jerk or your parents (I'm only 15) ... but c'mon man!!!

" if I die I die doing something I love " ... that is a stupid thing to say if you are serious. I love riding just as much as the next guy, but it is not worth dying just to go a lil faster!!! PLEASE be smart about it... If you don't do it for your own life, do it so your parents don't have to get that phone call....

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Jul 20 2004, 09:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jumbo747
@Jul 20 2004, 11:16 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk or your parents (I'm only 15) ... but c'mon man!!!

" if I die I die doing something I love " ... that is a stupid thing to say if you are serious. I love riding just as much as the next guy, but it is not worth dying just to go a lil faster!!! PLEASE be smart about it... If you don't do it for your own life, do it so your parents don't have to get that phone call.... [/b]
it will prob. be one less thing for them to worry about...they have a nice insurance premium on me too after I got this thing
i'd know that they'd be taken very well of

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Thanks Dez, and sorry about the whole getting off topic (I do that too much, even in real life) ... let me throw in my 2 cents --

I loved my 13 tooth front sprocket and was very glad I got it until today. I was riding my cousin's 450 around and liked the 14 tooth a little better for everything except VERY tight trails. If you aren't afraid to go fast on the trails, stick with the 14 tooth!! However, I also have 18" rears and I am getting rid of those, so I will let you know if I like the 13 tooth a little better once I put 20"ers on. If it is still a little too low, I may go up 2 teeth in the rear. If I don't give an update on this, bug the hell out of me so I remember

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by desert_450r+Jul 20 2004, 11:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TrX450rKiD
@Jul 20 2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks Dez, and sorry about the whole getting off topic (I do that too much, even in real life) ... let me throw in my 2 cents --

I loved my 13 tooth front sprocket and was very glad I got it until today.  I was riding my cousin's 450 around and liked the 14 tooth a little better for everything except VERY tight trails.  If you aren't afraid to go fast on the trails, stick with the 14 tooth!!  However, I also have 18" rears and I am getting rid of those, so I will let you know if I like the 13 tooth a little better once I put 20"ers on.  If it is still a little too low, I may go up 2 teeth in the rear.  If I don't give an update on this, bug the hell out of me so I remember
2" is a lot of tire height if you're only talking 20 to begin with ... You will want that 13 I bet ... [/b]
I dont care what you are racing, you never need to go full speed. Therefor acceleration is key....the fact of the matter is, you will accelerate faster with the 13 then you will with the 14. since I am never doing 80 mph in a race....therefor I am always happy with the 13.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
The acceleration I have is why I beat my cousin every time in a drag

But, the reason I may go back to a 14 tooth is not for top speed, it is because of how low the gears are now. But, like Dez said, I probably won't need to go back to the 14 tooth once I get the 20" tires, I mean taking 2" off of 20 is a 10% reduction, that is a lot!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD@Jul 20 2004, 11:12 PM
The acceleration I have is why I beat my cousin every time in a drag

But, the reason I may go back to a 14 tooth is not for top speed, it is because of how low the gears are now.  But, like Dez said, I probably won't need to go back to the 14 tooth once I get the 20" tires, I mean taking 2" off of 20 is a 10% reduction, that is a lot!
I agree with Dez on that...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts