Honda TRX 450R banner

13 tooth sprocket

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  cals400ex 
#1 ·
I am new to this site, awesome site by the way!! My question is I heard the 13 tooth sprocket for the CRF dirt bike will fit my 450r...is this the truth or just a rumor?

#2 ·
Its the truth, i did it on mine, im thinking of going back to a 14 now, with my mods i have(read my sign) i can get better take off believe it or not, i can rev it out faster and keep it in the power band, and not have to fight o keep the front down.

#3 ·
Ok I thought it would would bust just neede reassurance on it. Sounds like you have a nice machine.

I do mainly trail riding and probabaly will just pipe and jet it and air filtewr of course. So I want the 13th for a little more "umph" on bottom end. The cam probabaly took up most of the slack I imagine on your bike, but for know I will wait on it. How much difference did the cam make? Can you tell it throughout the powerband?
Thanks for the info. Later

#4 ·
Hey Trx450Ryan i have a lrd full system, hotcam stage 2, and the esr airbox eliminator kit. Its pretty close to what you have and i was wondering what you are running for jetting. I'm running a 200 main jet in mine. Thats all though. I just don't think its running to its full capability because my yfz still can beat it in a drag. All my yfz has done to it is a yoshimura full exhaust system and esr airbox eliminator kit. I was wondering if its cuz im not jetted.

#5 ·
i would definately go with the 13 tooth front sprocket thats what i put on mine 1 week after i got my r,i do a lot of trail rinding alot of rocks ruts rocky hills you name it the 13 tooth is a must untill you unleash your r's motor with some mods to get some more torque on the bottom end.as for the other guy with the r and the yfz maybe you should drop a jet size like a 190 and the stage 1 hotcam is sopose to give you more bottom end for dragracing when you drag the yfz does he beat you everywhere or do you catch him back at somepoint

#6 ·
Beats me everywhere. I have a 13t front sprocket so of course it beats me on the top end. As far as accelerating it beats me there to. I just don't feel like i should be loosing to just a piped and no airbox yfz. I was thinking about getting the edelbrock carburetor and i heard those are awesome. With the hotcam stage 2 it seems like i lost bottom end and gained quite a bit on the mid to top. I wasn't expecting to lose that much of bottom end. So i was wondering whoever else has this hotcam stage 2 lost on the bottom. I'm just thinking maybe im running lean on the pilot or something.

#7 ·
Well i noticed with the dmc pipe, even tho i sized up a tire, i have gained on bottom end, and it pulls harder and sounds better, altho i havnt noticed much more speed on top end, the power pulls till she revs out, the cam i cannot give the exact effect for i aded the pipe and cam with open air filter all at the same time, there fore right now im happy with the setup and i am impressed. Just thinkin about all the work i thru into this quad, for me is a big step and considering i just turned 16 thursday, i mau not be a dedicated as des, but i do like speed and i seem happy with the setup ive chosen, i fianaly seen the dyno on the dmc pipe and it hadnt said if it was with the open air box or wat not, but its in dirt wheels, it showed 13 % gain in toque and 12 % hp gain, and then followed bu the cam as well as the air filter and near open air bix, i do believe i am a good setup, im am runnin a 180 main b he way and a dyno jet needle.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Manny450r@Aug 22 2004, 12:03 AM
Beats me everywhere.  I have a 13t front sprocket so of course it beats me on the top end.  As far as accelerating it beats me there to.  I just don't feel like i should be loosing to just a piped and no airbox yfz.  I was thinking about getting the edelbrock carburetor and i heard those are awesome.  With the hotcam stage 2 it seems like i lost bottom end and gained quite a bit on the mid to top.  I wasn't expecting to lose that much of bottom end.  So i was wondering whoever else has this hotcam stage 2 lost on the bottom.  I'm just thinking maybe im running lean on the pilot or something.
[snapback]15594[/snapback]​
you need to go up on compression an add a 39 rear an you'll smoke him.......

#10 ·
I put the 13 tooth on at first then I switched back to the 14. Mine accelerates faster with a 14 than a 13. Sounds weird but that's a fact.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Aug 21 2004, 04:39 PM
Its the truth, i did it on mine, im thinking of going back to a 14 now, with my mods i have(read my sign) i can get better take off believe it or not, i can rev it out faster and keep it in the power band, and not have to fight o keep the front down.
[snapback]15562[/snapback]​
if you go up against a trx with 13/39 gearing, an higher compression, he WILL BEAT YOU threw all the gears and pull you on top ,because he'll have at least 3 bikes on you

#12 ·
i have dr.d and stage 2 cam and 13TOOTH FRONT ind my 450r pulls realy hard

#13 ·
Originally posted by D-RACER+Jul 13 2005, 02:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Trx450Ryan
@Aug 21 2004, 04:39 PM
if you go up against a trx with 13/39 gearing, an higher compression, he WILL BEAT YOU threw all the gears and pull you on top ,because he'll have at least 3 bikes on you
[snapback]108239[/snapback]​
[/b]

How ia that he would pull him on top?? I can't see that happing based on a 13/39 setup for this reason. A 13/39set has a final drive gear ratio of 3.00 and a 14/38 has a ratio of 2.71. So at the rev limiter (9800) a 14/38 will be going faster.

#15 ·
Originally posted by sloverado+Jul 14 2005, 02:09 AM-->
Originally posted by D-RACER@Jul 13 2005, 02:15 PM

How ia that he would pull him on top?? I can't see that happing based on a 13/39 setup for this reason. A 13/39set has a final drive gear ratio of 3.00 and a 14/38 has a ratio of 2.71. So at the rev limiter (9800) a 14/38 will be going faster.
[snapback]108432[/snapback]​
[/b]
as i said earlier what you are saying is based on a STOCK BIKE .if you have a trx with 14/38 gearing and modified trx with 14/38,which one do you think will be faster?

#17 ·
Originally posted by D-RACER+Jul 14 2005, 02:28 PM-->
Originally posted by sloverado@Jul 14 2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by D-RACER@Jul 13 2005, 02:15 PM

[snapback]108432[/snapback]​
as i said earlier what you are saying is based on a STOCK BIKE .if you have a trx with 14/38 gearing and modified trx with 14/38,which one do you think will be faster?
[snapback]108624[/snapback]​
[/b]
If the rev limit, the gearing, the tire size, the rider weight, etc is the same, they will go the same speed on top end. The modified engine will just get to the top speed quicker.

#18 ·
If the rev limit, the gearing, the tire size, the rider weight, etc is the same, they will go the same speed on top end. The modified engine will just get to the top speed quicker.
[snapback]108642[/snapback]​
[/quote]

unless the less modified bike can't make it to the stock rev limiter. then the modified one might pull a little harder to gain a hair more top speed. also, every bike is different. some faster, some slower....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.