Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a motor builder dont want to say his name really but he is very set on the 13:1 piston running pump gas all day long with no probles. He was also talking to me about a port and polish of the head. Also a 3 angle valve job. Does this sound right or what? Thanks for all the help as I am clueless :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would run race gas. maybe 101 or somthing but it dosent need to be to high of an octane .I dont know much about the port and polish thing but from people that have it said it was great idea. B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I wouldn't run pump gas on 13:1, sparks had told me nothing over 12:1 would be safe and that was cutting it close.
As far as the head work it could add a couple hp if done right, even more with the piston and a cam.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by kazpr@Oct 8 2004, 08:18 AM
I was talking to a motor builder dont want to say his name really but he is very set on the 13:1 piston running pump gas all day long with no probles. He was also talking to me about a port and polish of the head. Also a 3 angle valve job. Does this sound right or what? Thanks for all the help as I am clueless :)
read mixxer's post in this thread... apparently there is more to picking the proper fuel octane then just "static" compression ratio. this may explain why an engine builder with access to pistons, cams, a flow bench, etc. can get away with pump gas at 13:1.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2406

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by lukester720@Oct 8 2004, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't run pump gas on 13:1, sparks had told me nothing over 12:1 would be safe and that was cutting it close.
As far as the head work it could add a couple hp if done right, even more with the piston and a cam.
To add to Lukester's comment.

Porting the head will also let the engine rev better, quicker and faster. Bascially, it helps the engine breath better so it can rev better. But, it only gives you about 2HP's. But, then again it can help in a race. Also, the bigger valves of course will let the gas in or out faster to...and that's a good thing. Your engine thrives on breathing so anything you can do to make gas in and get it out as fast as possible is a good thing!!! :D

As far as race gas is concered, I would talk to Ticeman cause he knows allot about that. I was also told don;t mix, either run the race or don't . with that high of compression I would think you can run all race gas. If It was me..........
Once this work is done. First try pump gas....see how it runs and then try race gas to see the difference!!!

Ticeman will know the awnser on this one though!!!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts