Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally put a test of the 450R to the limit. Today I raced in a local enduro race. 12Hrs long to be exact and just got back a little while ago. I don't even recall how many laps I did and noticed I put 12 in another forum but it's supposed to be 22, I think.

Lets just say, the R was unstoppable. It never missed a beat. If I killed it or shut it off to refuel, it would start first kick w/hot-start in. The thing haules all day until about 2hrs to go when going up a hill I went sideways and hit two trees. (Bent both tierods and destroyed the grab bar.) The quad is fine other than that but luckily I was only like a minute from finish line and there was no more hills really. I rode it and switched to yet another Honda, but this one was an ld Foreman 400 to finish the last 2hrs.

Race started at 10 and ended at 10 at night. At about 1pm it started to pour down rain. The track was probably the hardest I've ever ridden and was extremely tough and rocky. During the rain I saw a guy on a Z wreck going up a hill and later he was out. I also saw a guy on a YFZ come in and say he was finished b/c it was too much for him. (I came around right behind him.) Well, other than a couple times I had to get off and lift out of ruts it never stopped. The Honda's did great and all I could ask for.

BTW: I took 1st place in Ironman class and nearly doubled every other person in it. (Most of the riders stopped during the rain and waited till it started to dry before taking off.) That gave me about 2hrs more than most of them. I'd like to thank a few of my Sponsors like H&H & SI Motorsports of Southern Illinois, ATV Source, and especially Powermadd. The Powermadd guards saved my hands numerous times and kept the handlebars from bending. Deffinately worth the cash. (Oh yeah, the R is stock other than nerfs, killswitch, HRC, and Powermadds.)

·
Registered
733 Posts
that's a great testimony to the reliability of a honda. that race sounds like fun, but way too long for me. i would have waited until it started raining, rode for two hours, then stopped when the rain let up... i luv wet track conditions. anyway... great job!!! and sorry to hear about the wreck. any pics? B)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
congrats man , I love the desert and hope to someday go to that kind of race where it is that long and tough. B) btw sorry to hear about the wreak -_-

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
couple questions , how did the bike do on gas ?and do you have a bigger fuel tank? thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer your questions, here goes. I only test rode a stock R and when I got mine it had HRC in it so can't really compare. My gearing was stock but wish I had went up a tooth on the front.

I will get some pics of the front end from the tie rods and the grab bar tomorrow when the sun's out.

On gas I did quite well though not like my C'Dale. I was doing 4 laps before refueling which was around 2hrs or a little more on stock gas tank. But it was down near empty each time I came in. Stalled a couple times one time b/c gas was pretty well gone.

And this wasn't a desert race or anything. It was straight up in the woods w/a small MX track thrown in. Some of the hills made the GNCC's look like a cakewalk. They have one section called the Roller Coaster which consists of 12 rolling hills. They're all too tall to see the tops usually and some are winding and turning w/TONS of rocks everywhere b/c it was an old strip pit mine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
thats cool! to bad you put it into a tree.
we put 11 1/2 hours on our 450r when we did the vegas to reno race. it was still running strong at the end of the race. matter of fact all i did was change the air filter and oil, through a set of nerfs on it and went and did a g/p yesterday and got 2nd. would have had 1st but in 105 degree temp i wore out before the bike did. a friend even rode it in the team race yesterday as well. thats a lot of time on it to say the least.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finaly got a couple pics. Look closely at the tie rods and have a good laugh. Pic also has trophy I got. It's not that big but it's still something, and better than a plaque.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's one of the grab bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts