Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new motor in an 04R chassis and an 08ER roller. Also have two 03 preddys (Noticed lots of interchangeables), anyways the 04 need new rear main bearings but I wasn’t sure if it’d be faster to just swap the swing arm and axles from the roller or if the preddys swing arm would fit.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I'm gonna say the predator would not fit without mods. The 08 will fit but you have to change linkages too and they are about 3/4" longer so handling will be a little different. The shock lengths are different too due to the linkages and seems switching one way or the other one of the shock reservoirs will hit something but I can't remember exactly which way that is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a brand new motor in an 04R chassis and an 08ER roller. Also have two 03 preddys (Noticed lots of interchangeables), anyways the 04 need new rear main bearings but I wasn’t sure if it’d be faster to just swap the swing arm and axles from the roller or if the preddys swing arm would fit.

Are you talking about the carrier bearings?

If anything just pull the bearings off the roller and keep the 04 set up on that bike. Some people swear by the 04 swing arm handles better than the 06+ swing arm because you get more up travel with the 04-05 swing arm paired with a long travel Elka linkage. But that’s just what I would do.

As far as what will be faster, just replacing the bearings with some fresh ones would be faster instead on tearing down two bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey y’all thanks for the input. I’ll probably just swap the bearings as I believe that is the issue. I just figured it would be easiest to change the whole rear end swing arm axles and all. Last time I had to do carrier bearings I would have rather driven a spike through my foot. A yfz450 and then upon getting back together my buddy stripped out the castle nut all on it (whole quad rebuild, last thing to finish) the night before we had a trip to ride. So yea it wasn’t my go to idea to swap the the beating but hey. Seeing as we’re all under quarantine I suppose I have plenty of time now.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,241 Posts
If you swap rear ends you need to swap everything including the swingarm, linkage, and shock, otherwise the suspension won’t work properly. Actually the 06+ rear end swap makes the suspension on the 04-05 better, and it’s about 5/8” longer. But you might as well keep your roller chassis together and just swap the bearings in your carrier. Swapping bearings isn’t a big deal and goes pretty quick. I have installed the All Balls bearing “upgrade” kit in three carriers recently, one is a spare carrier I keep ready to go, and I don’t have many miles on the other machines, but they’ve held up so far. The All Balls kit comes with four o-rings, and the seals for both ends of the carrier, but you’ll still need three more o-rings, so make sure you have those on hand before you start the job.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I would highly recommend swapping the 08 swingarm, shock and linkage to the 04. I did it to my 04 and would never go back. The 04/05 rear end is horrible about rear end buck and the 06+ Honda fixed the problem. JD Performance recommended I do this instead of buying one of his 04/05 +1.25" swingarms. I took his advice and I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I will also recommend staying away from anything All Balls or Pivot Works since their bearings are made in China and OEM will outlast them 5X over.

·
4,241 Posts
I will also recommend staying away from anything All Balls or Pivot Works since their bearings are made in China and OEM will outlast them 5X over.
I'm not saying your right or wrong, but have you personally used and seen All Balls or Pivot Works fail in 1/5 the time of stock bearings? I’m a big fan of OEM Honda parts, and In most instances I use only OEM parts, but in some cases the cost to use OEM bearing is just prohibitive. I’ve been using both All Balls and Pivot Works for many years without a failure, however, I’ve pulled out many failed OEM bearings. . . . . Just sayin. . . . .

·
4,241 Posts
Just as a for instance, I just replaced the pivot bearings on a swingarm yesterday. To buy everything that I needed in OEM parts would be $114. The All Balls kit that I used was $48.

·
Truck Yea
5,454 Posts
Just as a for instance, I just replaced the pivot bearings on a swingarm yesterday. To buy everything that I needed in OEM parts would be $114. The All Balls kit that I used was $48.
I never once had an issue with all balls or pivot works. Believe it or not most of the bearings be they for bike/atv, cars, etc are usually made by the same pile of factories in china anyways.

I have replaced plenty of swingarm bearings, I always tend to go with pivot works cause they have all the parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts