Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I bought an 07 Trx 450er last year, since I bought it I’ve done carb kit, leak down test, adjusted compression via decompression lever to 63 psi, shimmed the valves, checked the carb. goose neck, and check the battery. I’m thinking about selling cause I can’t get it to start. Even when it’s warmed right up, I have to give it a little gas ( I know your never supposed to ) but sometimes when it’s hot it’ll start first try if it’s only been shut off for a few seconds, I have to bump start it to get it to cold start, and it bump starts very easy, I turn up the idle screw, bump start and turn it back down once it’s hot. I don’t know what else to look into and really love this bike but don’t see the point in owning something you can only shut off on a hill. Please help me out someone, I’d give contact info if someone has the patience to walk through it with me. I’d take it to Honda but I don’t have the money to pay $85 a hour

·
Registered
637 Posts
Have you checked your Stator? (Not Start It was not a Typo The Stator is the Generator like an Alternator) I have seen guys fight with issue simular were it will almost fire but it makes a loud metallic clunk and them won't start and will pull start just fine, every one thinks its the jetting or the Valves. Check he Stator!

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,958 Posts
I would pop the valve cover and take a second look at the valve lash. Make sure you have them set properly. And yes, the stator can cause starting issues, but often times they cause problems when the engine is hot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get her going? It’s been a while. Hope you’re riding by now?

no I’m not having any luck with it, and now it needs a new battery, broke off the negative lug on it with a rock or something while driving. So I installed a plate behind it so it won’t happen again lol but ya, I don’t know what else to do I’ve tried everything I could think of and tried what ever I could find off the web as a diagnosis

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
925 Posts
no I’m not having any luck with it, and now it needs a new battery, broke off the negative lug on it with a rock or something while driving. So I installed a plate behind it so it won’t happen again lol but ya, I don’t know what else to do I’ve tried everything I could think of and tried what ever I could find off the web as a diagnosis
That sucks, is it worth taking it to a shop?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah I’m actually gone away to work now so that’s where she’ll be going, just wish it was a bit newer so I wasn’t putting a lot into an older bike but who knows she might have another 5 years in her lol
Take care of her and she will last forever

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
925 Posts
This is true, may I suggest amsoil for the motor? It’s proven to make your engine last (guaranteed) if you follow maintenance schedule. But good luck with it. Hope the mechanic can get her up and running. When he does have fun! Live to ride/ride to live!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is true, may I suggest amsoil for the motor? It’s proven to make your engine last (guaranteed) if you follow maintenance schedule. But good luck with it. Hope the mechanic can get her up and running. When he does have fun! Live to ride/ride to live!
Yessir buddy I hope she’ll last a long time yet it’s a pretty clean bike, once I bump starts it she runs great, but ya I knows the bys over at the Honda dealer I’m hoping they knows that their at too by, be a waste of money and bike if they don’t. Don’t see the point in owning a bike you can’t even turn off, headache is all that is by. Thanks buddy and yes I love that quad their fun bikes 🏍

·
Registered
925 Posts
It sure is. Well this is what I put in mine, and let me tell you switching from the “brand” names everyone uses to these amsoils is a huge difference, I could tell at the first oil change, runs smoother, idles more consistently, and shifts real smooth. I order 12 of each online, best stuff hands down. I dare someone to challenge that with another brand so I can have some fun with cut sheets and proof lol. Worth every penny and the lead time I waited.
Liquid Bottle cap Bottle Fluid Drink

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sure is. Well this is what I put in mine, and let me tell you switching from the “brand” names everyone uses to these amsoils is a huge difference, I could tell at the first oil change, runs smoother, idles more consistently, and shifts real smooth. I order 12 of each online, best stuff hands down. I dare someone to challenge that with another brand so I can have some fun with cut sheets and proof lol. Worth every penny and the lead time I waited. View attachment 153059
I’ll have to check some of that out man thanks for the advice. I’ll be getting a bottle to try !

·
Registered
925 Posts
What’s up 07 450rhondi? How’s the quad? Everything dialed in? If so hope you’re getting lots of riding in. Work has me swamped plus heat wave was brutal recently. But fall and winter is when I do most of my riding. So I’m prepping mine as we speak to get ready for lots of seat time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts