Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 er owned for a couple of months I had to put a head on it way back when I bought it but ever sense then it has ran great. but about a month ago the battery **** the bed, it was a brandnew battery when I bought the quad so I thought it died because it was loose in the battery tray. so I bought a new one off ebay it was kind of a cheap battery but I bought it anyways put it in got it snug in the tray and went for a ride about 5-6 miles into the trail I stop, hangout for a bit then jump back on and once again dead luckly I was right on a hill so I bumped started it and took the roads back home. I thought maybe it was a cheap battery but I bought a new 60$ battery and samething went out for a rip and it was dead so I finally got the idea to hook the volt meter too it. At idle it was like 14.5 but would jump around a little then if I gave it gas it would start to drop past 13.5.. so I thought maybe the rectifier was bad changed it and bought a diff battery nope burnt that one to so I bought a stator, nope burnt another battery:crying:. idk where else to goo I tried some testing here and there and came back with nothing, also when theres no battery in the quad say I jump start it, if I have my fan switch off the lights will be dim but if I switch it on they will be brighter, but still surge. im kinda stumped at this point any help will be awesome.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Could be some wires are pinched together/insulation damage & there is a small constant drain,lights should not be on or dim if switch is off,maybe a faulty switch? Keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i had it hard wired in the switch for the lights because a wire broke on the trail.. But this happend way before... Maybe shorted out in switch but what else is could it of burnt up? And maybe a wire some where, what you suggest taking all the tappe off and start looking? Lol such a head ache

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If you disconnect the headlight at the connector you could see if battery holds a charge without hacking & dismantling e-thing,that way you know your on the right track & can simply zip tie a new wire to existing harness & connect to switch,if it still leaves the lights on dim I'm guessing the switch isn't turning off all the way & needs replacing,I think skellington is doing a full part out(07 er) & can sell you switch & new wire harness for cheap if needed & he's a great seller,hope that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
defiantly not I un hooked the lights a couple days ago when I was doin tests, I unhooked the whole handle bar switches just to be positive

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Check the batt cables, + to solenoid block, - to engine block, check the ground connection by the coil, sometimes the ground gets crushed under the tank.

But 13,5 and 14V are good figures, batt is charging.
But lead batts hate vibrations, the only battery that works is a Yuasa Gel with the correct part number, all the others will be destroyed, that said it's quite fast, try to check for a current drain with an amp meter.
Light will dim without a battery, the regulator is seeing too muck noise to work, fan motor absorb the noise, regulator kicks in.

No more POS batteries, vibrations kills the non gel POS batteries
If you buy a china battery, you need to follow proper install procedure.
Proper procedure for installing a China battery is to wack it open with a hammer and run it over with a pickup truck, recycle the remainings and drive the pickup truck to a batt store that sells Yuasa batteries, buy a new batt for a TRX450ER.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Check the batt cables, + to solenoid block, - to engine block, check the ground connection by the coil, sometimes the ground gets crushed under the tank.

But 13,5 and 14V are good figures, batt is charging.
But lead batts hate vibrations, the only battery that works is a Yuasa Gel with the correct part number, all the others will be destroyed, that said it's quite fast, try to check for a current drain with an amp meter.
Light will dim without a battery, the regulator is seeing too muck noise to work, fan motor absorb the noise, regulator kicks in.

No more POS batteries, vibrations kills the non gel POS batteries
If you buy a china battery, you need to follow proper install procedure.
Proper procedure for installing a China battery is to wack it open with a hammer and run it over with a pickup truck, recycle the remainings and drive the pickup truck to a batt store that sells Yuasa batteries, buy a new batt for a TRX450ER.

:lol:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I swapped the original battery in my 07 in 2012 just because. Purchased an agm battery from Batteries Plus. The 1st ride the vibrations caused an open circuit in the battery. Took the battery back and bought a Shorai, Home - Shorai Lithium Batteries and haven't looked back. They are a little on the pricey side but they weigh nothing, are smaller than the stock battery and put out more power than the stock battery.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I swapped the original battery in my 07 in 2012 just because. Purchased an agm battery from Batteries Plus. The 1st ride the vibrations caused an open circuit in the battery. Took the battery back and bought a Shorai, Home - Shorai Lithium Batteries and haven't looked back. They are a little on the pricey side but they weigh nothing, are smaller than the stock battery and put out more power than the stock battery.
I crank with two of those and I now swear by them, price is steep, but a good notch above the stock Yuasa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what i was thinking Cuz my 450 is a rattle box, what is the part #? Also do u have a link or somthing for the battery you run? Also im still kinda confused at idle it sitts at 14 but when i give it gas it will go down, shouldnt it be the other way around lol? The last battery i had was a gel but was from china so.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Thats what i was thinking Cuz my 450 is a rattle box, what is the part #? Also do u have a link or somthing for the battery you run? Also im still kinda confused at idle it sitts at 14 but when i give it gas it will go down, shouldnt it be the other way around lol? The last battery i had was a gel but was from china so.
I run two of those :
Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery LFX14L2-BS12-Immortal ATV
I also have their charger to charge my second batt since it's not connected to the charging system of the quad.
The must not be ran flat..(well it happened to me and it still kick asses, so make sure that your old battery is really damaged, try to charge it with a charger if it fails, then it's really a battery internal failure.
The best way to mount a Shorai battery is to use the stock plastic tray and to fill it up with the supplied foam, this foam will take up the size difference and cushion the battery protecting it from harmful vibrations. If used normally it will outlast a lead battery by a good amount. No car chargers that push more than 14,8V,
no 0 °F temps, they won't supply good power, but will not be damaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So today i found a Honda Odyssey battery tray used some straping and nut and bolted it behind the air box. Extended a couple wires and put a different kinda fuse on it, took the battery out of my bruteforce 750 and bungie corded it in and went for a rip what do u know its all good starts up everytime.. Does anyone know where i can find the battery relocation "kit"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this was posted a long time ago but by any chance did you figure out the problem on your trx? i just bought 2006 trx450er if i ride it slow no bumps battery is fine if i drive it hard after i park the atv the quad wont start and the battery is dead wont hold any charge. let me know. thanks!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts